How to correctly work offline...

Hi,

I will mostly be using my notebook logged in as a domain user in a corporate
network. However occasionally I will take my notebook with me home and work
offline.

I'm new to windows XP but when being at home in this case do I try to log in
with my normal domain username and pwd and with the server unavailable will
I be prompted if I want to work offline, or what is the normal procedure in
this scenario?

Also I use Outlook as email client, should I set my message store folder to
a subdirectory in my home folder on the server or preferably on my
notebook's local disk?

Thanks for comments and hints

Rod
1 answer Last reply
More about correctly work offline

    Rod Janson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I will mostly be using my notebook logged in as a domain user in a
    > corporate
    > network. However occasionally I will take my notebook with me home
    > and work offline.
    >
    > I'm new to windows XP but when being at home in this case do I try to
    > log in with my normal domain username and pwd and with the server
    > unavailable will I be prompted if I want to work offline, or what is
    > the normal procedure in this scenario?
    >
    > Also I use Outlook as email client, should I set my message store
    > folder to a subdirectory in my home folder on the server or preferably
    > on my notebook's local disk?

    Here's how to use your domain notebook in your home workgroup (from MVP
    Lanwench):

    You don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources on it.
    You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all. Once
    you've logged in using your domain account (using cached credentials),
    and have an IP address on the home network, you can map drives, use
    printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command line:

    net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

    MS KB article about the Net Use command - http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj

    I'm not sure about your Outlook question, but if you don't get any
    answers to that here try one of the Outlook groups like:

    microsoft.public.outlook.general

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers