Cant see EA Games BFV server

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 26, 2004 5:54:55 PM

When I try to create a Battlefield Vietnam game server,
folks outside my network can see and connect to it. When I
try to connect from another P/C on my network, I fail to
connect. I have set the server IP as DMZ on my MN-700 and
set persistant port forwarding to my P/C I am trying to
connect to the server with per the game manual. These are
the ports given to me by EA Games support - 15567 UDP Game
+ Punkbuster
22000, 23000 UDP Gamespy (LAN, Internet)
4711 TCP Remote Console
27243-27245 (UDP/TCP) All Seeing Eye

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. EA told me to
contact my router manufacture. Thank you.

More about : games bfv server

August 26, 2004 11:45:51 PM

Are the other computers behind the MN-700 trying to connect to the WAN
IP of the router or the LAN IP of the server?

What is your firmware version on the MN-700?

I'm thinking it's a combination of the two.

Paul wrote:
> When I try to create a Battlefield Vietnam game server,
> folks outside my network can see and connect to it. When I
> try to connect from another P/C on my network, I fail to
> connect. I have set the server IP as DMZ on my MN-700 and
> set persistant port forwarding to my P/C I am trying to
> connect to the server with per the game manual. These are
> the ports given to me by EA Games support - 15567 UDP Game
> + Punkbuster
> 22000, 23000 UDP Gamespy (LAN, Internet)
> 4711 TCP Remote Console
> 27243-27245 (UDP/TCP) All Seeing Eye
>
> Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. EA told me to
> contact my router manufacture. Thank you.
August 27, 2004 4:42:22 AM

Runtime code version: 02.01.02.0590
Boot code version: 02.01.02.0590
Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004

The outside users are connecting to the WAN IP of the
MN700. They work great. I have tried connecting with both
the WAN IP of the MN700 and the IP of the P/C running the
game server. Both fail to connect. I have set the server
as DMZ same problem, outside they connect fine, inside
cannot connect. I have opened port forwarding on server IP
and outside users fine inside cant connect. I have set
port forwarding on both server and P/C then no one can
connect. I have been battling this problem for months now
and have gotten nowhere. very frustrating but I refuse to
give up. It has to be possible. I hope..lol Thanks for
your response whatever the outcome!

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 27, 2004 11:36:20 AM

I'm not sure then with your firmware version. Earlier firmware versions
didn't support loopback so I thought that was the issue.

Paul wrote:
> Runtime code version: 02.01.02.0590
> Boot code version: 02.01.02.0590
> Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004
>
> The outside users are connecting to the WAN IP of the
> MN700. They work great. I have tried connecting with both
> the WAN IP of the MN700 and the IP of the P/C running the
> game server. Both fail to connect. I have set the server
> as DMZ same problem, outside they connect fine, inside
> cannot connect. I have opened port forwarding on server IP
> and outside users fine inside cant connect. I have set
> port forwarding on both server and P/C then no one can
> connect. I have been battling this problem for months now
> and have gotten nowhere. very frustrating but I refuse to
> give up. It has to be possible. I hope..lol Thanks for
> your response whatever the outcome!

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 5:53:07 PM

From the documentation, the DMZ is virtually worthless since it does not
segment the box from the rest of your network:
"Unlike a real DMZ, the virtual DMZ is a client on your network and
therefore has access to the other computers
on your LAN. If a hacker were to upload a virus to the virtual DMZ, the
virus could spread to all the computers on
your network."

I can't tell from your description, but if you remove your DMZ and set up
the game server with a static IP on your internal network, you should be
able to connect using the internal IP address. Assuming your internal
network is working properly, you should be able to do everything (ping,
file&print share, etc) with this server since there is *nothing* blocking
traffic between the computers. If you can do all this and still not connect
with the game, then you have an issue with the computers and not the
router--more than likely your workstation.

Once this works, you can create a persistent port forward to the internal
server and see if external clients can connect.

You should not be able to connect to your external IP and port and have it
forward the traffic back to your internal server via the port forward
rule--it's not something a firewall should do without the hardware to
support it--which this grade router doesn't have.

Once you have this game server *exposed* in this fashion, you should keep on
top of any vulnerabilties the game software will expose your network to (and
any other services you expose to this server). Based on the DMZ description
above, it's not any more than with the DMZ, but that could be just a problem
with the how they wrote the manual.

You might be better served to buy another firewall/router/switch that has a
better DMZ implementation for your game server so you can protect the rest
of your network.

-sc

!