Remote assistance set up - via Windows Messenger

Hi all :) - XP Pro SP2

I need help to set up my Remote assistance to allow a consultant to assist
me with a program project. How do I set it up to allow them to have access
to my desktop? Can this be done via Windows Messenger? If not, how do I do
this? Also, I have a router. Is there any special adjustment or setting
that I need to allow for their access?

Jan :)

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 20:26:26 -0400, "Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.invalid>
wrote:

>Hi all :) - XP Pro SP2
>
>I need help to set up my Remote assistance to allow a consultant to assist
>me with a program project. How do I set it up to allow them to have access
>to my desktop? Can this be done via Windows Messenger? If not, how do I do
>this? Also, I have a router. Is there any special adjustment or setting
>that I need to allow for their access?
>
>Jan :)

Hi Jan,

Remote access is very dangerous, it can be done by windows messenger
but I would never ever go near windows messenger for anything let
alone granting remote access rights.

There are many commercial solutions that are far better, easier to use
and much more secure.

Access Remote PC is cheap, easy and secure. PC anywhere is pricey but
good and many more, for a novice Access Remote PC is probably the
easiest to use and there is a fully working trial version gives you 5
free connections.

http://www.access-remote-pc.com/

You need a broadband connection for any remote access to be worthwhile
and if you are not confident with firewall settings / port forwarding
if you are on a router, you need to get somebody you trust to install
the remote access app for you and show you how to run it and set it up
safely.

I have seen one system recently with huge problems where remote
access software was deliberately set up to allow access to
unauthorised people by a "trusted" person who then used that PC with
his mates as a proxy to remotlely surf the web, read passwords, mail,
all the files and folders etc.

Really be careful.

Jonah

Hi Jonah :)

Thank you very much for your very helpful information. The person who would
remotely assist me is an Access MVP whom I have worked with for several
years, and have no reason to distruct them. I am the only one on my end. I
need to set the Remote access up through the Windows Messenger if possible,
as that is how we are working at this point as Emails are too slow.

Thank you for your time and help.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,