hardware compatibility question regarding compaq deskpro 1..

Hi again and thanks for your feedback to my question. To answer your
question regarding the type of expansion cards that I have that I'd
like to put in that system.... one is an ATI video capture card,
another one is one that provides me with usb 2.0 ports and I also have
a basic scsi card.

According to some other replied I've gotten, it seems that compaq
systems in the past used to have hardware compatibility issues but it
seems that's not the case for since Pentium II pcs.

Thanks a lot again,

Most PCI cards should present no problem to a Pentium III system, because the
motherboard chipset (possibly Intel 815?) provides compatibility with the PCI
2.1 spec.

The demise of the EISA bus (Compaq was one of the major promoters!) has greatly
reduced compatibility problems... Ben Myers

On 14 Sep 2004 19:38:05 -0700, providencebuddy@yahoo.com (J Santos) wrote:

>Hi again and thanks for your feedback to my question. To answer your
>question regarding the type of expansion cards that I have that I'd
>like to put in that system.... one is an ATI video capture card,
>another one is one that provides me with usb 2.0 ports and I also have
>a basic scsi card.
>
>According to some other replied I've gotten, it seems that compaq
>systems in the past used to have hardware compatibility issues but it
>seems that's not the case for since Pentium II pcs.
>
>Thanks a lot again,

hh

Ben,
More than a promoter. Compaq invented and developed the EISA bus. I had a
DeskPro XL 4/50 that had two PCI and 4 EISA slots.
HH

> Most PCI cards should present no problem to a Pentium III system, because
the
> motherboard chipset (possibly Intel 815?) provides compatibility with the
PCI
> 2.1 spec.
>
> The demise of the EISA bus (Compaq was one of the major promoters!) has
greatly
> reduced compatibility problems... Ben Myers
>
> On 14 Sep 2004 19:38:05 -0700, providencebuddy@yahoo.com (J Santos) wrote:
>
> >Hi again and thanks for your feedback to my question. To answer your
> >question regarding the type of expansion cards that I have that I'd
> >like to put in that system.... one is an ATI video capture card,
> >another one is one that provides me with usb 2.0 ports and I also have
> >a basic scsi card.
> >
> >According to some other replied I've gotten, it seems that compaq
> >systems in the past used to have hardware compatibility issues but it
> >seems that's not the case for since Pentium II pcs.
> >
> >Thanks a lot again,

Yeah, I guess you're right. The company that did the EISA config utility was a
TX company, MCS as I recall. HP was culpable in EISA, too. And a couple of
other companies jumped on board a specification and an interface that was too
much like MicroChannel for its own good. Glad to see EISA fall by the wayside,
altho I had a spooky recurring dream about it yesterday. I set up a Dell
PowerEdge 4400 Xeon server yesterday and one of the configuration programs is a
spitting image of the old EISA config utility. So the EISA mindset still
prevails, tho not on the desktop fortunately... Ben Myers

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:50:43 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ben,
>More than a promoter. Compaq invented and developed the EISA bus. I had a
>DeskPro XL 4/50 that had two PCI and 4 EISA slots.
>HH

>> Most PCI cards should present no problem to a Pentium III system, because
>the
>> motherboard chipset (possibly Intel 815?) provides compatibility with the
>PCI
>> 2.1 spec.
>>
>> The demise of the EISA bus (Compaq was one of the major promoters!) has
>greatly
>> reduced compatibility problems... Ben Myers
>>
>> On 14 Sep 2004 19:38:05 -0700, providencebuddy@yahoo.com (J Santos) wrote:
>>
>> >Hi again and thanks for your feedback to my question. To answer your
>> >question regarding the type of expansion cards that I have that I'd
>> >like to put in that system.... one is an ATI video capture card,
>> >another one is one that provides me with usb 2.0 ports and I also have
>> >a basic scsi card.
>> >
>> >According to some other replied I've gotten, it seems that compaq
>> >systems in the past used to have hardware compatibility issues but it
>> >seems that's not the case for since Pentium II pcs.
>> >
>> >Thanks a lot again,

hh

EISA did have one compatibility advantage, it would accept either an ISA or
EISA card. And, although clumsey, it was the first 32-bit slot ever put into
production.
HH