XP Pro User Question Please

I have recently installed XP Pro and made my wife and I separate users. It
is too much of a pain to have to log in separately and not have the same
favorites etc. How do I change the setting so we don't have to choose a
user but just save everything as one with no separate login required?

--
Thanks in advance... Bob
3 answers Last reply

    Bob Newman wrote:

    > I have recently installed XP Pro and made my wife and I separate users. It
    > is too much of a pain to have to log in separately and not have the same
    > favorites etc. How do I change the setting so we don't have to choose a
    > user but just save everything as one with no separate login required?

    Both of you can just use one of the accounts, or create a new one that
    both of you use. In that case you can copy the settings from one of the
    other accounts. Set whatever account you choose to both work to auto login.

    1. Go to Start | Run and type in: control userpasswords2 | Ok.

    2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password
    To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.

    3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
    name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
    start your computer.

    You can accomplish the same thing by:

    Download and install tweakui for xp and use its auto logon feature.

    Lastly you can add the Dialog box that comes up when running control
    userpasswords 2 to the Control Panel with the following tweak:

    Add Control User Passwords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

    How to Copy a User Profile
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thank you. That was a very fast response, and it sure looks very thorough.
    I'll get right on it.

    Bob

    Bob Newman wrote:

    > Thank you. That was a very fast response, and it sure looks very thorough.
    > I'll get right on it.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bob Newman wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have recently installed XP Pro and made my wife and I separate users.
    >>>It is too much of a pain to have to log in separately and not have the
    >>>same favorites etc. How do I change the setting so we don't have to
    >>>choose a user but just save everything as one with no separate login
    >>>required?
    >>>

    >>Both of you can just use one of the accounts, or create a new one that
    >>both of you use. In that case you can copy the settings from one of the
    >>other accounts. Set whatever account you choose to both work to auto
    >>login.
    >>
    >>1. Go to Start | Run and type in: control userpasswords2 | Ok.
    >>
    >>2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password
    >>To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.
    >>
    >>3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name
    >>and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you start
    >>your computer.
    >>
    >>You can accomplish the same thing by:
    >>
    >>Download and install tweakui for xp and use its auto logon feature.
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >>
    >>Lastly you can add the Dialog box that comes up when running control
    >>userpasswords 2 to the Control Panel with the following tweak:
    >>
    >>Add Control User Passwords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)
    >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >>
    >>HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783
    >>
    >>How to Copy a User Profile
    >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm
    >>

    >>--