What would happen if Microsoft bought AMD?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13077" target="_new">Click to read</A>

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Not sure exactly what would happen, but I think someone has a sig here that might hint at it: "We are Microsoft, resistance is futile" -Bill Gates, 2015. Heck, might even happen sooner!

I hope Microshaft doesn't acquire AMD, that would really destroy any sort of long-term competition against, well, anybody.

I think I'm going to throw up.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
At a guess... More expensive/obvious advertising? :wink:

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Oh yeah, forgot about that element of business, guess I'd suck at marketing. Anyway, I agree that there would definitely be a shift in advertising favoring, well, AMD/MS.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
I'm thinking MS will eventually do smth. like that. Their new division will be called <i>'HyperHard'</i> :wink:

Seriously, it's easy to forsee a scenerio with two or three titan companies making ALL the comp. parts. Say MS and AMD merge, then Sony and Intel and Etc. etc. etc.

<font color=blue>If the <font color=yellow>laurel</font color=yellow> is to big for your head, it becomes a hoola-hoop, and you have to keep your butt really busy.</font color=blue>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Unless the Linux community gets their asses in gear and releases a universally usable OS, MS merged with any hardware producer will dominate. Intel couldn't hold a candlestick to MS/AMD if MS wanted to keep Intel CPUs from using their OSs.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If this happens, it will be temporarily good. We will get rid of Intel, but then there will be no way to get rid of "M$+AMD".

I hope it never becomes true

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I hope that no merger of that size ever becomes true! Imagine the control that two behemoths merged into one could/would have. It would be an end to competition and consumer advantage as we know it.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
"Unless the Linux community gets their asses in gear and releases a universally usable OS, MS merged with any hardware producer will dominate."

Oh sure, blame it on the Linux community... :wink: Seriously<stepping up to soapbox>, if you want to see the Linux community achieve an objective, get involved in whatever capacity you can. That's the whole point.<stepping down from soapbox to share my own speculations on this>

Even if the Linux community had a "universally" usable OS(what you mean by this is still a ways down the road, IMHO), MS would likely do something like control who gets access to the design info of the processor. This obviously couldn't happen with the first generation of chips if it were an AMD design, but down the road...

Remember, right now the chip makers release that info to developers, because they WANT as many developers developing for their chips. There is nothing that could stop them from "close sourcing" the architecture, to keep others who don't pay a license and sign an NDA, from having all the info to develop for it. In other words, they could force anyone not willing to pay them fees and sign NDAs, to reverse engineer if they want to develop for their chip, meaning anyone not willing to play by their rules will always be substantially behind the game.

Why? OSS as we know it, would not be possible if the developers had to sign an NDA, as the compiler source(which truly is the heart of OSS) would equate to public disclosure of how the chip works(and parts of the kernel probably would as well). Thus, you'd have to reverse engineer it to do anything OSS, which takes alot of time. Or, pay MS up the yinyang to write a closed source compiler to develop the kernel and apps on. Then come up with a way to close the source to those parts of the kernel that would violate the NDA.

Assuming MS would license that info for that purpose in the first place, it wouldn't sit right with OSS developers at all. They'd likely just stick with Intel, transmeta, IBM, etc... and anyone going the MS route will be stuck with MS forever.

Would MS do this if they started making chips? Given their well documented history, it would seem a very MS thing to do.

Yet, at the same time, I get the feeling this would raise the ire of every major computing company. MS might have alot of money, but so does Intel, IBM, Oracle and a whole ton of others and MS doesn't have more money than all of them combined. The politicians would do the bidding of the majority of corporations, and MS would find itself broken into pieces after yet another anti-trust trial. I mean, they came pretty damn close last time. If they pulled this, it'd be game over. The question then would be, does MS think it could wield more political power than all the major computing companies? It's been pretty damned arrogant in the past...

But thankfully, this is all speculation for now. Designing a chip for a console does not equate to trying to take over the PC processor market. It could be a step towards that, but a bunch of other things would have to happen. For now, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Anyone really worried, whose planning on upgrading their computer, ought to consider throwing their money AMDs way, as if they get back into the black, it would make a buyout much more difficult.

***My disclaimer regarding this last part would be I'm a big fan(not fanboy) of AMDs current procs, as they kick butt under Linux. This is subject to change in the future, depending on what Intel throws our way.

<i>SCO is to Linux what a flea is to a dog.</i>

Nah... the chip and OS crashes would cancel each other out, resulting in a perfectly stable PC!

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Kind of like that Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns was found to have everything possibly wrong with him, but with all the diseases counteracting each other, making him essentially invincible...

GIPNOR

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
"Since Microsoft is famous for taking care of its employees...."

The statement goes on to how Microsoft would keep all the European workers happy. Maybe... maybe not. Microsoft is notorious for making their employees work very hard, and long hours. It's not written down, it's a part of the corporate culture.

Not European long hours... AMERICAN long hours. Americans don't get 6 weeks of vacation, we typically get TWO. We don't get as many holidays, nor do we siestas or any of the other time off that a lot of Europeans enjoy.

How would that go over in Europe??

BTW, I'm not attacking the European work ethic. In my opinion, Americans work TOO much and neglect other things that are important in life. There are plenty of hard workers on both sides of the ocean... but American's DO spend more time at work than Europeans on average.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Hehehe, probably what happened with IE and Netscape Navigator (you kids don't even remember it). MS would market systems with AMD CPUs and Windows and soon we would find out that AMD CPUs work surprisingly faster (!) under Windows than Intel's ("Better comprehension and understanding of networks and the Internet" -Bill Gates) after that Intel's market share would drop to 40% than to 20% and before you know it, it would be like Linux is today. Apple has abandoned all hardware ambitions and has settled to running it's online music shop (until M$ starts its own).

Is 2^33634943-1 prime? (more than 10Mil digits @73.31%) I will know in 10 days when <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.org" target="_new">Prime95</A> finishes checking!