"Failed to install Catalog files" error

I'm having this problem with windows xp sp2.
The electricity went out in my building for 5 hours and the computer
shutdown incorrectly. After that, I did a check disk and it didn't find
anything wrong with the computer.
After that, I discovered that can't seem to install any windows patches.
The installer hangs for an hour at "Inspecting your current configuration"
During this time, there is a lot a activity in
c:\windows\system32\catroot2\, where tons of log files are being
created/modified and deleted by the patch hotfix installer.
Then it gives out a pop up message saying "Failed to install Catalog files"
I opened cmd and did
"net stop cryptsvc" then I deleted "c:\windows\system32\catroot2\" and then
"net start cryptsvc".
I rebooted and tried to reinstall again but got the same error.
Any suggestion besides "You should format" is more than welcome. I can't do
a reinstall or even a repairv as I don't have any time to do so and some of
my programs as online subscriptions so formatting is out of the quiestion.
I decided to do system restore but the I discovered all checkpoints had
disappeared.
I also tried everything here.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;822798 but nothing
helped.
1 answer Last reply
More about failed install catalog files error

    Just guessing here, but have you tried SFC /SCANNOW from the command prompt?

    "ht990332" wrote:

    > I'm having this problem with windows xp sp2.
    > The electricity went out in my building for 5 hours and the computer
    > shutdown incorrectly. After that, I did a check disk and it didn't find
    > anything wrong with the computer.
    > After that, I discovered that can't seem to install any windows patches.
    > The installer hangs for an hour at "Inspecting your current configuration"
    > During this time, there is a lot a activity in
    > c:\windows\system32\catroot2\, where tons of log files are being
    > created/modified and deleted by the patch hotfix installer.
    > Then it gives out a pop up message saying "Failed to install Catalog files"
    > I opened cmd and did
    > "net stop cryptsvc" then I deleted "c:\windows\system32\catroot2\" and then
    > "net start cryptsvc".
    > I rebooted and tried to reinstall again but got the same error.
    > Any suggestion besides "You should format" is more than welcome. I can't do
    > a reinstall or even a repairv as I don't have any time to do so and some of
    > my programs as online subscriptions so formatting is out of the quiestion.
    > I decided to do system restore but the I discovered all checkpoints had
    > disappeared.
    > I also tried everything here.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;822798 but nothing
    > helped.