Sign in with
Your question

Athlon retail HSF etc

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 9, 2003 3:28:08 PM

I'm looking to finally set my athlon 800mhz thunderbird to rest after 3.5 years of quality service. Actually I think the chip is what's causing my computer to lock up every 45 minutes..but ANYWAY

I'm trying to decide whether to go Intel or AMD. I'm not after the top top performance so something less is fine. But after three years of my dorm room sounding like an airport, it would really be nice to have something quiet!

Presumably the Athlon retail fan is loud. What about the pentiums? I'm looking to go as cheap as a xp 2000+, but then if someone tells me that I can turn this airport into a cemetery (oy, in terms of noise, anyway) with a pentium then I'm probably sold. A little quiet is probably worth the extra money. But hey...if someone knows a nice quiet heatsink/fan combo for the Athlon that I can buy elsewhere...that'd be cool too. THANKS.

More about : athlon retail hsf

December 9, 2003 5:33:14 PM

I just put a system together for my father with an AMD Barton 2500+. I wasn't loud by any means. I personaly find the vid card and and case fans to be louder than the HSF. Still, I'm sure you can find after market fans for an amd that are very quiet. There's a forum here for heatsinks and cooling, in the Overclocking section. Check over there for suggestions. AMD is the best bang for the money and I wouldn't let the retail HS+F dissuade me.

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE
December 9, 2003 6:08:37 PM

What price range are you looking at?

Shadus
Related resources
December 9, 2003 6:27:32 PM

Amd's new fans are very quiet and efficient.
December 9, 2003 6:48:19 PM

So far as price range goes, since I want AMD instead of Pentium price is obviously a concern. I'd say under $100.

While I'm at it, the reason I'm going through with this in the first place is because my 800mhz beast has been freezing on me constantly, in windows with normal usage and especially in the ultra powered games that i use, like hidden and dangerous and Pirates! Gold. Yes, believe it or not I play Pirates! Gold. Anyway, yeah it freezes all time. I have two dimms of ram and i've swapped them out so I'm pretty sure it's not the ram. The HD is a brand new W&D 200gb so I don't think it's that either. I'm assuming that it's the mobo or cpu. The thing just freezes...sometimes with a blue screen, sometimes without. The blue screens are also nice and varied, sometimes IRQL DRIVER NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL....or...BAD CALLER POOL (or something)..or....PAGE FAULT....

Anyway, if anyone's got any ideas...I could certainly stand to hear them. thanks...
December 9, 2003 7:50:06 PM

It could be the graphics card has packed it in or the CMOS battery has drained and all you need is a new one.
I cant hear any noise from my liquid cooled machine, routine maintenance will lead you to quieter peacefulness.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
December 9, 2003 7:59:26 PM

when the computer is on the cmos is powered by the psu, this should not be the prob.

My guess is your cpu is overheating, take all the dust off of the heatsink and i bet the problem will go away. The next suspect would be leaking capacitors followed by a flakey powersupply.

BTW my spire falcon rock heatsink (currently on my tully but more than enough for a 2000+ even mildly overclocked) is very quiet.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
December 9, 2003 8:19:24 PM

You can buy after market fans that are very quiet - but with video card, case and power supply fans causing noise as well you might well have to change a few things to get a completely silent PC - or at least one approaching the quiet end of the spectrum.

For silent Heatsink I suggest Zalman or thermalright SLK900.
For silent power supply I suggest enermax or Zalman again.
For silent video card buy any geforce 4 MX or ATi card with no fan on it at all (if you are not in to gaming)
If you play games and need a better card then zalman has noise free solutions.

You need to spend some cash to get a quiet PC. None of these things are cheap but money spent now will give you good components that will last well in to the future and will save your ear bashing. I got my 350w Enermax PSU back when the Athlon 900 was the fastest chip and it is still quiet and going strong years later.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :) 
December 9, 2003 10:55:56 PM

You are right piii man the only thing I would question is the leaky Capacitors as you know they are electrolytic radial capacitors. Radial means they stand upright in the board as apposed to axial capacitors that lay flat and have the leads bent at 90 deg angles to go through the board via's.
Anyhow they are a liquid type cap and the top of each cap is open and you can see the aluminium top of each cap when they are damaged or leak they will show a yellow powdery residue on the top or some times if realy blown it will be turned a syrup colour and turned solid.
However in either case the motherboard would be toast and would not even boot as part of the parallel circuit has been removed do to failure.
His CMOS would be powered when the board is powered up but if his battery was dead his system BIOS would always start his computer at default settings and set-up items such as AGP settings would default to PCI etc.
Heat is always an issue and even a fine layer of almost unseen dust build-up all over the motherboard area can reduce system performance as the components cannot dissipate heat correctly to operating spec's.
An older P.C that is not opened up can have a thin dust layer that is very hard to remove short of removing the motherboard and all hardware devices and cleaning them.
Air compressed in a can is a great way to blow most of the loose dust and other material out of a computer but the dust cooked to the other components requires physical removal by a brush.
I seldom see computers that live that long any more and the old Digital Computers where almost bullet proof and still run today however modern internet requirements have made most of these old systems useless and they default to MS Word typewriter machines if you can find a printer that will function on them.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
December 9, 2003 11:18:13 PM

i have to disagree, a series circuit would be a problem, but not a parallel, my wifes old abit ka7 board she had a few years ago had several leaking capacitors around the cpu, they had oozed a black gel like substance and her board still booted and ran windows but man was it ever flakey! reboot after 1 minute, or sometimes it ran all day....i replaced all the capacitors, cleaned the mess up and it worked fine for over a year before we upgraded to a newer system. i suppose mine could be the exception to the rule, but i dont think so...but hey, i could be wrong...but i do think its a strong candidate for capacitor or psu problem.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
December 9, 2003 11:35:16 PM

Well first off there is no series circuits used in very much of anything now aside from a flashlight!! If there was caps leaking electrolytic material in your wife's computer I hardly think it worked at all. or even booted... electronics do not function on magic my good friend they are subject to the laws of electricity and if those caps were in fact blown that board would not function end of story.
The fact that you replaced them and the board worked is another story.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
December 10, 2003 12:26:33 AM

you are wrong. look at this url, these are leaking and the mb was unstable while they were leaking. do you know what capacitors are made of? they are much like a car battery, but instead of lead and plates, they have plastic and metal inside that is submersed in electrolyte, again much like a car battery, they CAN leak and STILL function, just not very well. take a look......http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195 take a good look, and think before you call someone a liar next time.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by allanon1965 on 12/09/03 09:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 10, 2003 12:40:14 AM

I am an electrical engineer and I do not know much about anything but I can dry wall a house in a day and most engineers cant do that ;) 

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
December 10, 2003 12:51:50 AM

cool, then you got something to fall back on if the engineering thing doesnt work out:) 

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
December 10, 2003 12:59:44 AM

Well it did pay for the Engineering Degree perhaps I am perusing the wrong trade. NAaaa I will stick to the Engineering thing it pays for computer parts.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
December 10, 2003 3:28:52 AM

well thats er...um....these are certainly some...uh...things to think about.

ANYWAY, thanks for the ideas. I'm not even going to bother thinking about this too much longer. I have an old spare 800 thunderbird that was crushed in the mail on the way back to a reseller...haha, we'll see if that one solves my problems. Which is all pretty irrelevant seeing as I plan to upgrade regardless. I'd rather know exactly what's wrong before I go through with this though.

I'd also like to take care of the noise issue. david t, piii man and others thanks v much for the comments on that. I don't know if I'll really have the funds for that though and seeing as I may be switching to a laptop as primary machine...I may live with it for a while.

I'd like to think that all my problems are being caused by a faulty cpu. Hehe I hate to say it but this all (more or less) started when a truck almost cut me off on the interstate and my box did a full flip (yes, i most certainly should have had it on the floor instead of on the seat...although it did end up on the floor...). I probably shouldn't get any sympathy, but what the hell.

Another question- when I get my retail 2500+ there aren't going to be any shenanigans with thermal paste and copper spacers, are there? I want to take that puppy out of the box and put it right in. I'm not going to be overclocking in the foreseeable future. Any motherboard recommendations? Again keeping price in mind. I've got my eye on the MSI K7N2 Delta-L. Well that's all for now
December 10, 2003 11:01:43 AM

Don't worry about him Allanon1965. He's known as the biggest liar on the board, he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the dirt.

Shadus
December 10, 2003 1:34:44 PM

I think this is the fifth time I found that guy and, you know, it is always the same. So much fun of it! :lol: 

My only concern is for the uninformed people that came here ... but still it's funny!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:
!