Hibernate Resumes Immediately

My hibernate mode used to work fine. But now it goes into hibernate and then
immediately resumes. It immediately powers back on like I had pushed the
power button. What's going on? I checked the BIOS to make sure none of the
wake features were enabled. None of the XP power management functions are
enabled either (though I think they only work for Standby mode anyway).

Anybody know what's going on?

BTW: if I pull the plug at the right moment, then plug it back in, it stays
in hibernate mode powered down like it's supposed to until I press the power
button, at which time it resumes from hibernate just like it's supposed to.
But pulling the plug isn't a great practice, nor an acceptable work around.

What services are running when you try to enter standby?
--
Ron Sommer

"StoneCrusher1" <StoneCrusher1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My hibernate mode used to work fine. But now it goes into hibernate and
> then
> immediately resumes. It immediately powers back on like I had pushed the
> power button. What's going on? I checked the BIOS to make sure none of
> the
> wake features were enabled. None of the XP power management functions are
> enabled either (though I think they only work for Standby mode anyway).
>
> Anybody know what's going on?
>
> BTW: if I pull the plug at the right moment, then plug it back in, it
> stays
> in hibernate mode powered down like it's supposed to until I press the
> power
> button, at which time it resumes from hibernate just like it's supposed
> to.
> But pulling the plug isn't a great practice, nor an acceptable work
> around.

The running services are:

ALG DISPLAY_NAME: Application Layer Gateway Service
AudioSrv DISPLAY_NAME: Windows Audio
BITS DISPLAY_NAME: Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Browser DISPLAY_NAME: Computer Browser
CiSvc DISPLAY_NAME: Indexing Service
CryptSvc DISPLAY_NAME: Cryptographic Services
DcomLaunch DISPLAY_NAME: DCOM Server Process Launcher
Dhcp DISPLAY_NAME: DHCP Client
dmserver DISPLAY_NAME: Logical Disk Manager
Dnscache DISPLAY_NAME: DNS Client
ERSvc DISPLAY_NAME: Error Reporting Service
Eventlog DISPLAY_NAME: Event Log
EventSystem DISPLAY_NAME: COM+ Event System
helpsvc DISPLAY_NAME: Help and Support
lanmanserver DISPLAY_NAME: Server
lanmanworkstation DISPLAY_NAME: Workstation
LmHosts DISPLAY_NAME: TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
McDetect.exe DISPLAY_NAME: McAfee WSC Integration
McShield DISPLAY_NAME: McAfee.com McShield
McTskshd.exe DISPLAY_NAME: McAfee Task Scheduler
MpfService DISPLAY_NAME: McAfee Personal Firewall Service
Netman DISPLAY_NAME: Network Connections
Nla DISPLAY_NAME: Network Location Awareness (NLA
NVSvc DISPLAY_NAME: NVIDIA Display Driver Service
PlugPlay DISPLAY_NAME: Plug and Play
PolicyAgent DISPLAY_NAME: IPSEC Services
PowerAlert UPS Engine DISPLAY_NAME: PowerAlert UPS Engine
ProtectedStorage DISPLAY_NAME: Protected Storage
RasMan DISPLAY_NAME: Remote Access Connection Manager
RemoteRegistry DISPLAY_NAME: Remote Registry
RpcSs DISPLAY_NAME: Remote Procedure Call (RPC
SamSs DISPLAY_NAME: Security Accounts Manager
Schedule DISPLAY_NAME: Task Scheduler
seclogon DISPLAY_NAME: Secondary Logon
SENS DISPLAY_NAME: System Event Notification
SharedAccess DISPLAY_NAME: Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS
ShellHWDetection DISPLAY_NAME: Shell Hardware Detection
Spooler DISPLAY_NAME: Print Spooler
srservice DISPLAY_NAME: System Restore Service
SSDPSRV DISPLAY_NAME: SSDP Discovery Service
stisvc DISPLAY_NAME: Windows Image Acquisition (WIA
TapiSrv DISPLAY_NAME: Telephony
TermService DISPLAY_NAME: Terminal Services
Themes DISPLAY_NAME: Themes
TrkWks DISPLAY_NAME: Distributed Link Tracking Client
UMWdf DISPLAY_NAME: Windows User Mode Driver Framework
w32time DISPLAY_NAME: Windows Time
WANMiniportService DISPLAY_NAME: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service
WebClient DISPLAY_NAME: WebClient
winmgmt DISPLAY_NAME: Windows Management Instrumentation
WMDM PMSP Service DISPLAY_NAME: WMDM PMSP Service
wscsvc DISPLAY_NAME: Security Center
wuauserv DISPLAY_NAME: Automatic Updates
WZCSVC DISPLAY_NAME: Wireless Zero Configuration

I removed some spyware / adware and the problem has now gone away. I'm not
sure which adware was causing the problem, but my guess is that it was
tcpun.dll from Virtumundo, which appeared on my system around the time I
started having problems with Hibernate. Very annoying and mischievious, and
not picked up by Spybot Search & Destroy nor by Yahoo! Antispy. Mcafee
finally got it with the latest virus DAT file version 4576.

seangriffin

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
To anyone else still tearing out their hair trying to solve this (as was I), here is the solution I found. The problem is most likely rootkit malware attack.

To check and remove rootkits, download and run Kaspersky's TDSSKiller:

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip

I ran this. It found one infection, quaranteened the file, rebooted my computer, and hibernation now works.

After countless attempts to fix hibernation, this was the only solution that worked for me.