Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Scanner Lamp problem

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 5, 2005 12:50:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a Plustek OpticPro 9636T flatbed scanner. First off, I went to the
Plustek website and they don't offer support for such an 'old hardware.' With
that out of the way, I came here.

There is a problem with the lamp. It is not blown, let me explain. If I
unplug the power to the scanner and plug it back in, the light comes on. When
I open any scanner type program (I use Adobe Photoshop, but I get the same
result with anything) the light goes off. I tried something, I took a
flashlight and held it over the scanner document and scanned. There was a
very very dim faded picture on the screen, so there IS information being
sent. Any idea on how I can keep the lamp on?

Note: There is a scanner utility that controls the lamp. It is set to "on"
but it is still off.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

More about : scanner lamp problem

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:30:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 20:50:10 -0700, "Chris"
<Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Plustek OpticPro 9636T flatbed scanner. First off, I went to the
>Plustek website and they don't offer support for such an 'old hardware.' With
>that out of the way, I came here.
>
>There is a problem with the lamp. It is not blown, let me explain. If I
>unplug the power to the scanner and plug it back in, the light comes on. When
>I open any scanner type program (I use Adobe Photoshop, but I get the same
>result with anything) the light goes off. I tried something, I took a
>flashlight and held it over the scanner document and scanned. There was a
>very very dim faded picture on the screen, so there IS information being
>sent. Any idea on how I can keep the lamp on?
>
>Note: There is a scanner utility that controls the lamp. It is set to "on"
>but it is still off.
>
>Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Here's my help: Buy a new scanner. They are pretty cheap and the
quality of scan they can produce will make you old scanner pail by
comparison.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:43:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Was thinking ahead with a Microtek scanner that always has the light on if
plugged in. After a two week search, finally found the light bulb. The
scanner finally died after 4 years and the bulb never failed.
Found a suitable replacement Microtek scanner. USB 2.0/SCSI capable. I
read someplace that the overhead data movement sometimes slows down a PC
even on USB during the scan. But scsi doesn't, same for firewire. Tried
both connections, and sure enough, its true. Usb 2.0 connection balks and
the PC seems strained during the scan if I'm doing something else in the
meantime. So, scsi it is. Especially since I already have a scsi card.
"Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E653DBA3-B8C1-4614-B550-613CED4E1BD4@microsoft.com...
> I have a Plustek OpticPro 9636T flatbed scanner. First off, I went to the
> Plustek website and they don't offer support for such an 'old hardware.'
With
> that out of the way, I came here.
>
> There is a problem with the lamp. It is not blown, let me explain. If I
> unplug the power to the scanner and plug it back in, the light comes on.
When
> I open any scanner type program (I use Adobe Photoshop, but I get the same
> result with anything) the light goes off. I tried something, I took a
> flashlight and held it over the scanner document and scanned. There was a
> very very dim faded picture on the screen, so there IS information being
> sent. Any idea on how I can keep the lamp on?
>
> Note: There is a scanner utility that controls the lamp. It is set to "on"
> but it is still off.
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:52:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <#d$MXF6sFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
spamyourself@virus.net says...
> USB 2.0/SCSI capable. I
> read someplace that the overhead data movement sometimes slows down a PC
> even on USB during the scan. But scsi doesn't, same for firewire. Tried
> both connections, and sure enough, its true.

USB is best used for Mice and Keyboards and the moving of data from
PDA's and Digital Camera's.

It's not good for reliable use with portable drives or anything with a
server due to the number of problems it causes in the real world.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:52:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

USB devices will only achieve a throughput of around 20-25
Megabytes per second. Forget the maximum of 480 Megabytes
that is used for the specifications. For performance that is close
to internal IDE/ATAPI/SATA rates either Firewire or the new
SATA-II (SATA-IO) externals would be a better choice. USB
has some hefty overhead in packet content and wait states that
reduces it's throughput.

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d889e7f45a761a6989f25@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
> In article <#d$MXF6sFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
> spamyourself@virus.net says...
>> USB 2.0/SCSI capable. I
>> read someplace that the overhead data movement sometimes slows down a PC
>> even on USB during the scan. But scsi doesn't, same for firewire. Tried
>> both connections, and sure enough, its true.
>
> USB is best used for Mice and Keyboards and the moving of data from
> PDA's and Digital Camera's.
>
> It's not good for reliable use with portable drives or anything with a
> server due to the number of problems it causes in the real world.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
!