How do I remove the newest update for the Mn500/700 that a..

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I've been having nothing but problems since I installed
this update. My sister's computer can't connect to the
internet anymore and I'm pretty sure it's because of WPA
that was in the newest update. I tried upgrading the
software on her computer and it seemed to work for a few
hours but now it's no longer working again. I also tried
applying some winxp fix to support WPA on her computer
but it didn't work as well. I just want to rollback my
software to the version before this update. How can I
remove the update?

WPA is not added to the MN500 with the new update.
WPA support is much improved with the MN700 with the new firmware that is
included in the update.

What OS are you using?
If you are using Windows XP, upgrade to SP2, as WPA in windows XP is much
improved in SP2.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Dennis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been having nothing but problems since I installed
> this update. My sister's computer can't connect to the
> internet anymore and I'm pretty sure it's because of WPA
> that was in the newest update. I tried upgrading the
> software on her computer and it seemed to work for a few
> hours but now it's no longer working again. I also tried
> applying some winxp fix to support WPA on her computer
> but it didn't work as well. I just want to rollback my
> software to the version before this update. How can I
> remove the update?

"Dennis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been having nothing but problems since I installed
> this update. My sister's computer can't connect to the
> internet anymore and I'm pretty sure it's because of WPA
> that was in the newest update. I tried upgrading the
> software on her computer and it seemed to work for a few
> hours but now it's no longer working again. I also tried
> applying some winxp fix to support WPA on her computer
> but it didn't work as well. I just want to rollback my
> software to the version before this update. How can I
> remove the update?

If you don't like WPA, turn it off! If you are having problems
connecting, turn off all encryption until you solve the connection
problem, then turn it back on. Don't lock into something
being the root cause of your problem until you actually
have some data that it does.

Dick Kistler

I have tried with encryption and without and in both
cases I cannot connect to the internet. All I know for
certain is that I've been having problems ever since
installing the update. Would SP2 fix anything?

>I have tried with encryption and without and in both
> cases I cannot connect to the internet. All I know for
> certain is that I've been having problems ever since
> installing the update. Would SP2 fix anything?

NO. If you can't connect with your current os, you shouldn't
complicate the problem with another one.

Turn encryption off until you can communicate. Then turn it back on.

What kind of internet connection do you have? Do you have more than one
computer
on the net? What operating systems are you running?

What have you tried so far? What was the result when you tried it?

Can you ping your base station? Can you ping a website on the internet? Can
you ping
other computers on your net?

Try to solve the problem, step by step. If you go through the problem step
by step, the
people on this newsgroup can help you or point you to the right place.

Dick

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I have DSL. There are only two computers on the network,
mine (running ethernet cable to the router) and my
sister's, which uses an SMC 802.11b wireless adaptor. I
am running Winxp on both computers. Now they were
working perfectly on the wireless network until I
installed the update. I then couldn't connect to the
internet on my sister's pc although it could see my
wireless router network on the "available networks"
screen. I tried turning off WEP, changing channels,
trying 64 and 128 bit encryption but nothing work.
Yesterday I tried installed the update (the one on the MS
networking page, 13 mb) and I deleted some entries from
add/remove programs on my pc that might've been connected
to the update. After that the internet could be accessed
on the other computer. Today, it seems as if everything
is back to square one. Can't connect to the internet on
my sister's pc yet again. I tried installing this update
today - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyId=5039EF4A-61E0-4C44-94F0-
C25C9DE0ACE9&displaylang=en because I thought this WPA
update was the problem, but apparently not?? It didn't
solve the problem either.

>I have DSL. There are only two computers on the network,
> mine (running ethernet cable to the router) and my
> sister's, which uses an SMC 802.11b wireless adaptor. I
> am running Winxp on both computers. Now they were
> working perfectly on the wireless network until I
> installed the update. I then couldn't connect to the
> internet on my sister's pc although it could see my
> wireless router network on the "available networks"
> screen. I tried turning off WEP, changing channels,
> trying 64 and 128 bit encryption but nothing work.
> Yesterday I tried installed the update (the one on the MS
> networking page, 13 mb) and I deleted some entries from
> add/remove programs on my pc that might've been connected
> to the update. After that the internet could be accessed
> on the other computer. Today, it seems as if everything
> is back to square one. Can't connect to the internet on
> my sister's pc yet again. I tried installing this update
> today - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
> FamilyId=5039EF4A-61E0-4C44-94F0-
> C25C9DE0ACE9&displaylang=en because I thought this WPA
> update was the problem, but apparently not?? It didn't
> solve the problem either.

So you have two computers connected to the Base Station.
One Wired, One wireless. The wired computer connects ok
to the internet fine. The wireless one doesn't. You have XP
Home SP1 on both computers. The wireless computer can't
connect to the base station at all, so not only can you not
connect to the internet with it, you can't share files with the
wired computer. Are you using a firewall on the wireless computer?

Please drop using encryption. If you can't connect without it, you
won't connect with it. Encryption cannot fix a connection that is not
there. You can turn it back on when the connection is
established. Be sure it is turned off on both the base station
and the wirelessly connected computer. Also make sure that
MAC address filtering is turned off on the base station, and
that ssid broadcasting is turned on.

What model base station are you using? Can the Base Station
see the Wireless Computer? Is the wireless computer on the
list of machines the base station sees on the net?

Dick

Yes that is correct. I cannot connect to the internet
with the wireless pc nor share files with the wired pc.
Like I said before, I have tried dropping the encryption
but to no avail. I am using the MS MN-500 802.11b
wireless router. The basestation sees the wireless
computer and vice versa but I cannot connect to the
internet.

I am 99% sure that this problem boils down to the update
I installed a week ago through the Broadband Network
Utility. How do I remove the update and roll back to my
previous version??

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Anyone know how to rollback the drivers? I'm not sure
how or if it is possible with the router. Anyone have a
copy of the old firmware?