Read/Write Monitoring Program

Bogdan

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
I'm looking for a program that can monitor how much data is written/read from a harddrive and then display it as a graph.

I'm NOT looking for a program that runs its own stress test and then displays results. I want to run my own tests, but need a program that can monitor and display the amount of data that is written to the HHD.

Activity Monitor is one program but it is for MAC, I need one for PC.

Solution
That is the program that I meant. Try the "Tools/File Summary" menu option. This will give you details of total bytes written/read, as well as number of reads/writes. It will also show you these figures for each process. You'll need to read the help to find out everything this program can do and how best to filter events.

If you want to view activity over a period, "File/Capture Events" toggles the capturing of events.

Bogdan

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004

Doesn't quite do what I want. Also it crashed after a minute and wont restart heh.

I need to monitor the amount of new data written to the disk in real time.

Bogdan

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Here is an example of what I'm looking for.

Activity-Monitor.png

The bottom of this program shows you:

Data Read
Data Written
Data read/sec
Data written/sec

I want the same program but for PC. That program is MAC only.

Bogdan

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004

It gives me the Data written/sec, and gives me the Average Data/sec within a minute. Both only for specific processes.

I want the Total Data Written to the Disk in an hour. It is very hard to calculate that with Performance Monitor unless I'm missing something?

Bogdan

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004

I click the link in your post "Process Monitor" and downloaded. I don't think this is the program you are talking about. Which are you referring to?

That is the program that I meant. Try the "Tools/File Summary" menu option. This will give you details of total bytes written/read, as well as number of reads/writes. It will also show you these figures for each process. You'll need to read the help to find out everything this program can do and how best to filter events.

If you want to view activity over a period, "File/Capture Events" toggles the capturing of events.

Solution

Bogdan

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004

Hallelujah!!!!! :bounce:

And I'm not even religious.