File will not delete

I was trying to save a web page to my desk top. The file some how saved as
an .exe file and will not delete. An error message pops up claiming that: It
is being used by another perosom or program. Close any programs that might
be using the file and try again." I have no programs running and have killed
all applications in the system tray. Also, the application manager says
there are no programs running. My last attemps was to go through DOS and
try that way, but even then I'm still at a dead end.

I'm at my witts end here and any help will be greatly appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about file delete

    Hi,

    May be that is a Virus which just infected your system and is not
    allowing you to delete the ".exe" files. Try scanning for a virus. If you
    machine is not infected, under "Task Manger", "Preocesses" tab, look for that
    exe. There are times when a task it running but not shown under "Application"
    Tab of the Task Manger

    --
    Regards,
    Hardik Shah

    "MrGuy007" wrote:

    > I was trying to save a web page to my desk top. The file some how saved as
    > an .exe file and will not delete. An error message pops up claiming that: It
    > is being used by another perosom or program. Close any programs that might
    > be using the file and try again." I have no programs running and have killed
    > all applications in the system tray. Also, the application manager says
    > there are no programs running. My last attemps was to go through DOS and
    > try that way, but even then I'm still at a dead end.
    >
    > I'm at my witts end here and any help will be greatly appreciated.

    How to delete a stubborn file
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howto-delete-xp.html

    Get MoveOnBoot

    http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    "MrGuy007" wrote:

    > I was trying to save a web page to my desk top. The file some how saved as
    > an .exe file and will not delete. An error message pops up claiming that: It
    > is being used by another perosom or program. Close any programs that might
    > be using the file and try again." I have no programs running and have killed
    > all applications in the system tray. Also, the application manager says
    > there are no programs running. My last attemps was to go through DOS and
    > try that way, but even then I'm still at a dead end.
    >
    > I'm at my witts end here and any help will be greatly appreciated.

    What happens if you drag the file to the waste basket?

    Jan Driesen

    "MrGuy007" <MrGuy007@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
    > I was trying to save a web page to my desk top. The file some how saved
    as
    > an .exe file and will not delete. An error message pops up claiming that:
    It
    > is being used by another perosom or program. Close any programs that
    might
    > be using the file and try again." I have no programs running and have
    killed
    > all applications in the system tray. Also, the application manager says
    > there are no programs running. My last attemps was to go through DOS and
    > try that way, but even then I'm still at a dead end.
    >
    > I'm at my witts end here and any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right click
    the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is locked then
    a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file or folder.
    Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker171.exe If that does not work then
    try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

    "MrGuy007" <MrGuy007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was trying to save a web page to my desk top. The file some how saved
    >as
    > an .exe file and will not delete. An error message pops up claiming that:
    > It
    > is being used by another perosom or program. Close any programs that
    > might
    > be using the file and try again." I have no programs running and have
    > killed
    > all applications in the system tray. Also, the application manager says
    > there are no programs running. My last attemps was to go through DOS and
    > try that way, but even then I'm still at a dead end.
    >
    > I'm at my witts end here and any help will be greatly appreciated.

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:58:58 GMT in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, pcbutts1 favored us with...
    > Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right click
    > the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is locked then
    > a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file or folder.
    > Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker171.exe If that does not work then
    > try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

    It's generally a bad idea to install programs from places not
    approved publicly by the program author. You can find Unlocker at
    the author's site, < http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ >.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    Notice as a public service:

    Do not download *anything* from Butthead. If you want a program, go to the
    web site of the maker of the program and do not take a chance with
    Butthead's download. There is no telling what you're really getting from
    this jerk.

    Alias

    "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote

    In article <9L7Te.555$JN5.34@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    @seedsv.com says...
    > Stop Stalking me. Stop replying to my post. You are a stalker. Stop Stalking
    > me you cyberstalker.

    Stop posting in these groups if you don't want a response to your post -
    oh, and don't post a reply about/to me and expect me to not reply.

    Grow up before your mom takes the computer away from you.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    > In article <9L7Te.555$JN5.34@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    > @seedsv.com says...
    >> Stop Stalking me. Stop replying to my post. You are a stalker. Stop
    >> Stalking
    >> me you cyberstalker.
    >
    > Stop posting in these groups if you don't want a response to your post -
    > oh, and don't post a reply about/to me and expect me to not reply.
    >
    > Grow up before your mom takes the computer away from you.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    On Monday 05 September 2005 08:23 pm, pcbutts1 had this to say in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > Stop Stalking me. Stop replying to my post. You are a stalker. Stop
    > Stalking me you cyberstalker

    Just threaten Leythos. Tell him you're going to hold your breathe until you
    die. That should scare him enough and get him off your back.

    --
    I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
    No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.

Microsoft Error Message Windows XP