SP2/MediaPlaer 9/Dell 4550 Probs

Joe

I DL'ed SP2 only because automatic updates was becoming unsuccessful of late,
so I was told to try SP2, which I did. I noticed my computer (logging in) is
much slower now. Also...a weird occurance with MediaPlayer 9. I once tried MP9
and had problems with it, so I went back to 8. I didn't know that SP2 meant you
got MP9, but I as I fooled with it, it seemed ok...so no problem. Except for
one thing: for some reason MP9 decided to erase some of my MP8 playlists! I am
searching everywhere for them, but they are not on the hdd. Has this happened
to anyone and if so, is there a fix?

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Joe, , There is a new MP10 out now. It will search your HD to make a new
play list after install. you have to uninstall MP9 before using 10.

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Joe, , There is a new MP10 out now. It will search your HD to make a new
> play list after install. you have to uninstall MP9 before using 10.

I installed WMP10 the other night but didn't like it near as much as WMP9.
The look hurt my eyes and the interface was more obscure (IMO) trying to
tuck every thing "right up front" versus the neatly arranged tabs of the
previous version. FWIW, I didn't have uninstall WMP9 to try WMP10.

I'm not so crazy about the interface either. Like you said, no need to
uninstall WMP 9. In fact, that's impossible.

Ted Zieglar

"Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Joe, , There is a new MP10 out now. It will search your HD to make a new
>> play list after install. you have to uninstall MP9 before using 10.
>

> I installed WMP10 the other night but didn't like it near as much as WMP9.
> The look hurt my eyes and the interface was more obscure (IMO) trying to
> tuck every thing "right up front" versus the neatly arranged tabs of the
> previous version. FWIW, I didn't have uninstall WMP9 to try WMP10.

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I took out WMP 9 before I put in WMP10. It is not impossible. All I had to
do was create a short cut for the desktop. If I can take out an old program
I do.
> I'm not so crazy about the interface either. Like you said, no need to
> uninstall WMP 9. In fact, that's impossible.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Joe, , There is a new MP10 out now. It will search your HD to make a
>>> new play list after install. you have to uninstall MP9 before using 10.
>>

>> I installed WMP10 the other night but didn't like it near as much as
>> WMP9. The look hurt my eyes and the interface was more obscure (IMO)
>> trying to tuck every thing "right up front" versus the neatly arranged
>> tabs of the previous version. FWIW, I didn't have uninstall WMP9 to try
>> WMP10.

I did just that, and believe it or not even after mp8 was there with all my
playlists, when I put in mp10, it took some away again...very weird. So now
I am "system restored" back to pre-sp2 and pr-mp9/10 and things are fast and
right again..

- JB
"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Joe, , There is a new MP10 out now. It will search your HD to make a new
> play list after install. you have to uninstall MP9 before using 10.
> "Joe" <jbwave@aol.com> wrote in message
> >I DL'ed SP2 only because automatic updates was becoming unsuccessful of
> >late,
> > so I was told to try SP2, which I did. I noticed my computer (logging
in)
> > is
> > much slower now. Also...a weird occurance with MediaPlayer 9. I once
tried
> > MP9
> > and had problems with it, so I went back to 8. I didn't know that SP2
> > meant you
> > got MP9, but I as I fooled with it, it seemed ok...so no problem. Except
> > for
> > one thing: for some reason MP9 decided to erase some of my MP8
playlists!
> > I am
> > searching everywhere for them, but they are not on the hdd. Has this
> > happened
> > to anyone and if so, is there a fix?

The only way I know to "uninstall" WMP 9 is to do a system restore.

> Joe, , There is a new MP10 out now. It will search your HD to make a new
> play list after install. you have to uninstall MP9 before using 10.

Windows Media Player 9 cannot be uninstalled unless you do a system
restore, and its not necessary to remove it before installing WMP 10.

Oops. I stand corrected. WMP 9 can be removed if you're using Windows
98SE or 2000.