Shared Documents Now Called "Documents"

September 5, 2005 4:19:03 AM

For some reason, my "shared documents" folder in "my computer" is now called
"Documents." Although I am the administrator of this computer, I am unable to
access "Documents," (I get this error message: "C: Documents and Settings\All
users\Documents\ is not accessible. Access is denied")and furthermore I am
unable to change the folder's setting in "sharing and security" to "share"
this folder. Additionally, I am blocked from access to the Shared Music and
Shared Picture Samples that come installed on XP Pro. Please tell me how I
can restore this folder to its original capacity as a "shared documents"
folder. I am currently unable to set any of my folders to be shared. I am
using XP Pro.

Thank you!
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:54:29 AM

Log on as an administrator

Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional

- Restart the computer. As computer boots . continually press the F8 key

- On the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu, select 'Safe Mode' > Enter

- When asked, select Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro > Enter

- On the 'To begin, click your user name screen', click Administrator

- Type the administrator password (same as the user's logon password) >
ENTER

Note:
In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In
this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER

Drew

"HopingForHelp" <HopingForHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason, my "shared documents" folder in "my computer" is now
> called
> "Documents." Although I am the administrator of this computer, I am unable
> access "Documents," (I get this error message: "C: Documents and
> Settings\All
> users\Documents\ is not accessible. Access is denied")and furthermore I am
> unable to change the folder's setting in "sharing and security" to
> "share"
> this folder. Additionally, I am blocked from access to the Shared Music
> and
> Shared Picture Samples that come installed on XP Pro. Please tell me how I
> can restore this folder to its original capacity as a "shared documents"
> folder. I am currently unable to set any of my folders to be shared. I am
> using XP Pro.
>
> Thank you!
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:54:23 PM

Drew,

I've never logged on on Safe Mode before. After changing the settings for my
shared documents folder, how will I then be able to exit the safe mode and go
back to the normal mode?

"Drew Tognola" wrote:

> Log on as an administrator
>
> Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional
>

> - Restart the computer. As computer boots . continually press the F8 key
>
> - On the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu, select 'Safe Mode' > Enter
>
> - When asked, select Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro > Enter
>
> - On the 'To begin, click your user name screen', click Administrator
>
> - Type the administrator password (same as the user's logon password) >
> ENTER
>

> Note:
> In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In
> this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER
>

> Drew
>
> "HopingForHelp" <HopingForHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > For some reason, my "shared documents" folder in "my computer" is now
> > called
> > "Documents." Although I am the administrator of this computer, I am unable
> > access "Documents," (I get this error message: "C: Documents and
> > Settings\All
> > users\Documents\ is not accessible. Access is denied")and furthermore I am
> > unable to change the folder's setting in "sharing and security" to
> > "share"
> > this folder. Additionally, I am blocked from access to the Shared Music
> > and
> > Shared Picture Samples that come installed on XP Pro. Please tell me how I
> > can restore this folder to its original capacity as a "shared documents"
> > folder. I am currently unable to set any of my folders to be shared. I am
> > using XP Pro.
> >
> > Thank you!

Related resources
September 5, 2005 3:27:19 PM

HopingForHelp wrote:

> Drew,
>
> I've never logged on on Safe Mode before. After changing the settings for my
> shared documents folder, how will I then be able to exit the safe mode and go
> back to the normal mode?
>

> "Drew Tognola" wrote:
>

>>Log on as an administrator
>>
>>Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional
>>

>>- Restart the computer. As computer boots . continually press the F8 key
>>
>>- On the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu, select 'Safe Mode' > Enter
>>
>>- When asked, select Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro > Enter
>>
>>- On the 'To begin, click your user name screen', click Administrator
>>
>>- Type the administrator password (same as the user's logon password) >
>>ENTER
>>

>>Note:
>>In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In
>>this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER
>>

>>Drew
>>
>>"HopingForHelp" <HopingForHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>For some reason, my "shared documents" folder in "my computer" is now
>>>called
>>>"Documents." Although I am the administrator of this computer, I am unable
>>>access "Documents," (I get this error message: "C: Documents and
>>>Settings\All
>>>users\Documents\ is not accessible. Access is denied")and furthermore I am
>>>unable to change the folder's setting in "sharing and security" to
>>>"share"
>>>this folder. Additionally, I am blocked from access to the Shared Music
>>>and
>>>Shared Picture Samples that come installed on XP Pro. Please tell me how I
>>>can restore this folder to its original capacity as a "shared documents"
>>>folder. I am currently unable to set any of my folders to be shared. I am
>>>using XP Pro.
>>>
>>>Thank you!

Just reboot and log on normally.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Safe Mode has nothing to do with Shared Documents changing to Documents.

You do not need to boot into Safe Mode to change permissions in XP Pro, only
in XP Home.

For Access is denied error see this...

If you do not see any Security tabs, you have to turn off simple file
sharing.

Start | Run | Type: control folders | Click OK |
Click the View tab | Scroll clear to the bottom and UNCheck:
Use simple file sharing (Recommended) | Click Apply | Click OK

You will now see Security tabs under File/Folder Properties.
-----

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents
or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

is the Shared Documents folder. It gets its name from the desktop.ini
file.

The desktop.ini file may be missing or messed up. If the desktop.ini file
is incorrect or missing, Shared Documents reverts to Documents.

Detailed instructions here on how to fix or create a desktop.ini file for
the Shared Documents folder...
http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq/#faq3_share...

Shared Documents desktop.ini should look like this...

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-21785

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F8D88283-04B9-465D-984F-2B56D72EF384@microsoft.com,
HopingForHelp <HopingForHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Drew,
>
> I've never logged on on Safe Mode before. After changing the settings for
> my shared documents folder, how will I then be able to exit the safe mode
> and go back to the normal mode?
>

> "Drew Tognola" wrote:
>
>> Log on as an administrator
>>
>> Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional
>>

>> - Restart the computer. As computer boots . continually press the F8 key
>>
>> - On the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu, select 'Safe Mode' > Enter
>>
>> - When asked, select Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro > Enter
>>
>> - On the 'To begin, click your user name screen', click Administrator
>>
>> - Type the administrator password (same as the user's logon password) >
>> ENTER
>>

>> Note:
>> In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank
>> password. In this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER
>>

>> Drew
>>
>> "HopingForHelp" <HopingForHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:925A4959-1BFD-4059-A64F-D6EB00D56FC9@microsoft.com...
>>> For some reason, my "shared documents" folder in "my computer" is now
>>> called
>>> "Documents." Although I am the administrator of this computer, I am
>>> unable to
>>> access "Documents," (I get this error message: "C: Documents and
>>> Settings\All
>>> users\Documents\ is not accessible. Access is denied")and furthermore I
>>> am unable to change the folder's setting in "sharing and security" to
>>> "share"
>>> this folder. Additionally, I am blocked from access to the Shared Music
>>> and
>>> Shared Picture Samples that come installed on XP Pro. Please tell me
>>> how I can restore this folder to its original capacity as a "shared
>>> documents" folder. I am currently unable to set any of my folders to be
>>> shared. I am using XP Pro.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:20:02 PM

Wesley,

WoW! Thank you! you really solved it! i had actually gone into safe mode and
changed the ownership rights of the "documents" folder to include my personal
user account. But now I see i could have actually avoided that.

Do you think i should keep the simple file sharing turned off? Does it
really affect my computer in any way?

Thanks again for being SOO helpful!
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:59:32 PM

i remember this exact same thing happened to me....now to remember what i
did...

I think i started the comp in safe mode, logged on as the machine
administrator (not a normal admin like ur username), then went to the folder
and changed the security settings, or maybe i claimed ownership (either way
u right-click the folder and go properties)

My machine is XP Home, so i'm not sure if you HAVE to restart in safe mode
(in Home it's the only way into the Machine Administrator)

Hope this helps you, please update me on ur progress on this

Jayso

Please reply to this email so I know if i'm right :)

Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish
jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)

"HopingForHelp" <HopingForHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason, my "shared documents" folder in "my computer" is now
> called
> "Documents." Although I am the administrator of this computer, I am unable
> access "Documents," (I get this error message: "C: Documents and
> Settings\All
> users\Documents\ is not accessible. Access is denied")and furthermore I am
> unable to change the folder's setting in "sharing and security" to
> "share"
> this folder. Additionally, I am blocked from access to the Shared Music
> and
> Shared Picture Samples that come installed on XP Pro. Please tell me how I
> can restore this folder to its original capacity as a "shared documents"
> folder. I am currently unable to set any of my folders to be shared. I am
> using XP Pro.
>
> Thank you!
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 12:31:36 AM

I normally have Use simple file sharing (Recommended) enabled, but I had to
disable it last night so I could take ownership of a file that I wanted to
delete. I couldn't see any Security tabs. I enabled simple file sharing
again when I was through.

That was the first time I have *ever* had to do that. I am the only user on
this machine, I am selfish and do not share with anybody. :-D

Use simple file sharing (Recommended)
[[Specifies that simplified sharing is enabled. Simplified sharing lets you
share folders with everyone on your workgroup or network and make folders in
your user profile private. However, if simplified sharing is enabled, you
cannot prevent specific users and groups from accessing your shared folders.
Clear this check box if you want to set folder permissions for specific
users and groups.]]

Like it says above. It depends on if you're on a network, etc., etc.

See Ramesh's post.

You may find these useful.

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307874

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

Computer Management Commands Are Not Available with Simple File Sharing
Enabled
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303248

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3C9F451F-5574-4BA8-BBE8-62E6B2226931@microsoft.com,
HopingForHelp <HopingForHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
>
> WoW! Thank you! you really solved it! i had actually gone into safe mode
> and changed the ownership rights of the "documents" folder to include my
> personal user account. But now I see i could have actually avoided that.
>
> Do you think i should keep the simple file sharing turned off? Does it
> really affect my computer in any way?
>
> Thanks again for being SOO helpful!
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:14:13 AM

Adding to Wes:

Share the folder. See Level 4 & Level 5 permissions here:

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304040

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User