Amp Ratings on my replacement battery is different!

Hi there,

I recently got a replacement battery for my Latitude C800 listed as
compatible with CP/C600/C500/C800/C810/C610/C510.

After receiving the battery, I compared the ratings with the one I'm
presently using, and there were slight changes, making me wonder if
its ok to use.

Current Battery:
----------------
P/N 75UYF
Rating: 14.8V ~ 3800mAh

New Battery:
------------
Item Number 312-0522
Rating: 14.8V ~ 4460mAh
Type 66Whr

The label on the new battery states "replace battery with DELL TYPE
66Whr, 750UYF or P/N 75UYF".

So my question is, is the new battery ok to use? Everything seems to
be say yes, except the current ratings are different: 3800mAh vs
4460mAh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about ratings replacement battery different

    voltage, form factor, and minimum amperage rating makes it compatible.
    higher amperage means longer lasting... it also usually means more weight
    and potentially slower charging (if your ac adapter is already working at
    capacity). i wonder if the new battery is trying to draw too much current
    from your ac adapter (re your other thread) and that is why the ac adapter
    is shutting down. which ac adapter are you using and where did your new
    battery come from?

    "Chris Yewchuk" <stickyfngrs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I recently got a replacement battery for my Latitude C800 listed as
    > compatible with CP/C600/C500/C800/C810/C610/C510.
    >
    > After receiving the battery, I compared the ratings with the one I'm
    > presently using, and there were slight changes, making me wonder if
    > its ok to use.
    >
    > Current Battery:
    > ----------------
    > P/N 75UYF
    > Rating: 14.8V ~ 3800mAh
    >

    > New Battery:
    > ------------
    > Item Number 312-0522
    > Rating: 14.8V ~ 4460mAh
    > Type 66Whr
    >
    > The label on the new battery states "replace battery with DELL TYPE
    > 66Whr, 750UYF or P/N 75UYF".
    >

    > So my question is, is the new battery ok to use? Everything seems to
    > be say yes, except the current ratings are different: 3800mAh vs
    > 4460mAh.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

    Ahh - so replacing the 3800mAh battery with a 4460mAh one isnt going
    to hurt the machine? That's good to hear.

    It would make sense that the new battery is trying to draw too much
    current from the current power supply.

    The power supply I'm using right now is:
    Dell Model AA20031
    PA-6 Family
    P/N 9364U
    C/O CN
    Rev A00
    DP/N 09364U

    INPUT: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz
    130-170VA
    OUTPUT: DC20V 3.5A

    From these specs, can it be concluded that the power supply is not
    compatible with the new 4460mAh battery?

    Thanks for your help, Christopher.

    Chris.

    "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<2KLqc.83$6K6.28@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>...
    > voltage, form factor, and minimum amperage rating makes it compatible.
    > higher amperage means longer lasting... it also usually means more weight
    > and potentially slower charging (if your ac adapter is already working at
    > capacity). i wonder if the new battery is trying to draw too much current
    > from your ac adapter (re your other thread) and that is why the ac adapter
    > is shutting down. which ac adapter are you using and where did your new
    > battery come from?
    >
    > "Chris Yewchuk" <stickyfngrs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I recently got a replacement battery for my Latitude C800 listed as
    > > compatible with CP/C600/C500/C800/C810/C610/C510.
    > >
    > > After receiving the battery, I compared the ratings with the one I'm
    > > presently using, and there were slight changes, making me wonder if
    > > its ok to use.
    > >
    > > Current Battery:
    > > ----------------
    > > P/N 75UYF
    > > Rating: 14.8V ~ 3800mAh
    > >

    > > New Battery:
    > > ------------
    > > Item Number 312-0522
    > > Rating: 14.8V ~ 4460mAh
    > > Type 66Whr
    > >
    > > The label on the new battery states "replace battery with DELL TYPE
    > > 66Whr, 750UYF or P/N 75UYF".
    > >

    > > So my question is, is the new battery ok to use? Everything seems to
    > > be say yes, except the current ratings are different: 3800mAh vs
    > > 4460mAh.
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

    BTW, the new battery came directly from Dell in Canada.
    FYI: The laptop was purchased in the states.

    Not sure if that makes a difference.

    Chris.

    "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<2KLqc.83$6K6.28@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>...
    > voltage, form factor, and minimum amperage rating makes it compatible.
    > higher amperage means longer lasting... it also usually means more weight
    > and potentially slower charging (if your ac adapter is already working at
    > capacity). i wonder if the new battery is trying to draw too much current
    > from your ac adapter (re your other thread) and that is why the ac adapter
    > is shutting down. which ac adapter are you using and where did your new
    > battery come from?
    >
    > "Chris Yewchuk" <stickyfngrs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I recently got a replacement battery for my Latitude C800 listed as
    > > compatible with CP/C600/C500/C800/C810/C610/C510.
    > >
    > > After receiving the battery, I compared the ratings with the one I'm
    > > presently using, and there were slight changes, making me wonder if
    > > its ok to use.
    > >
    > > Current Battery:
    > > ----------------
    > > P/N 75UYF
    > > Rating: 14.8V ~ 3800mAh
    > >

    > > New Battery:
    > > ------------
    > > Item Number 312-0522
    > > Rating: 14.8V ~ 4460mAh
    > > Type 66Whr
    > >
    > > The label on the new battery states "replace battery with DELL TYPE
    > > 66Whr, 750UYF or P/N 75UYF".
    > >

    > > So my question is, is the new battery ok to use? Everything seems to
    > > be say yes, except the current ratings are different: 3800mAh vs
    > > 4460mAh.
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

    you probably should call dell and ask them about this, but my sense of it is
    that they didn't offer the higher amperage battery with your model and so
    the ac adapter simply isn't up to the task of both running the computer and
    charging the larger capacity battery at the same time. i thought that it
    would be smart enough to just not recharge the battery (or just trickle
    charge it) if it did not have reserve... but with the later model laptops
    that were offered with the higher amperage batteries there is also a higher
    amperage and wattage power supply...
    your pa-6 pn 9364u is a 20v, 3.5amp, 70watt unit. the newer compatible
    replacement unit is the pa-9, also the same three prong plug, and 20v output
    but with 4.5amp, and 90watt output (meaning that it can handle a higher load
    that the pa-6 ac adapter). since ac adapters (unlike batteries) don't go
    bad with age, you don't have to worry about getting a fresh one... and
    there are tons of them on ebay for less than what dell wants. in the mean
    time, i wonder if you can charge your new battery by installing it into the
    computer while off and plug in in the ac adapter... once fully charged you
    should be able to run the system on ac with the new battery in place...
    sounds as if the combination of a low battery and system turned on is what
    knocks out the pa-6 ac adapter. let us know your results.

    > Ahh - so replacing the 3800mAh battery with a 4460mAh one isnt going
    > to hurt the machine? That's good to hear.
    >
    > It would make sense that the new battery is trying to draw too much
    > current from the current power supply.
    >
    > The power supply I'm using right now is:
    > Dell Model AA20031
    > PA-6 Family
    > P/N 9364U
    > C/O CN
    > Rev A00
    > DP/N 09364U
    >
    > INPUT: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz
    > 130-170VA
    > OUTPUT: DC20V 3.5A
    >
    > From these specs, can it be concluded that the power supply is not
    > compatible with the new 4460mAh battery?
    >
    > Thanks for your help, Christopher.
    >
    > Chris.
    >

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > voltage, form factor, and minimum amperage rating makes it compatible.
    > > higher amperage means longer lasting... it also usually means more
    weight
    > > and potentially slower charging (if your ac adapter is already working
    at
    > > capacity). i wonder if the new battery is trying to draw too much
    current
    > > from your ac adapter (re your other thread) and that is why the ac
    adapter
    > > is shutting down. which ac adapter are you using and where did your new
    > > battery come from?
    > >
    > > "Chris Yewchuk" <stickyfngrs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi there,
    > > >
    > > > I recently got a replacement battery for my Latitude C800 listed as
    > > > compatible with CP/C600/C500/C800/C810/C610/C510.
    > > >
    > > > After receiving the battery, I compared the ratings with the one I'm
    > > > presently using, and there were slight changes, making me wonder if
    > > > its ok to use.
    > > >
    > > > Current Battery:
    > > > ----------------
    > > > P/N 75UYF
    > > > Rating: 14.8V ~ 3800mAh
    > > >

    > > > New Battery:
    > > > ------------
    > > > Item Number 312-0522
    > > > Rating: 14.8V ~ 4460mAh
    > > > Type 66Whr
    > > >
    > > > The label on the new battery states "replace battery with DELL TYPE
    > > > 66Whr, 750UYF or P/N 75UYF".
    > > >

    > > > So my question is, is the new battery ok to use? Everything seems to
    > > > be say yes, except the current ratings are different: 3800mAh vs
    > > > 4460mAh.
    > > >
    > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

    Yeah, it looks like I just have to buy a 4.5A power supply to replace
    the 3.5A one, as the new 4460mAh battery requires a 4.5A charging
    current.

    I did try inserting the battery while the machine was not powered on,
    and had the same result: the power supply would turn off after a few
    seconds.

    I'll let you know if it works with the new power supply!

    Thanks agian for your help,
    Chris.

    "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<JPWqc.2645$UZ1.674@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>...
    > you probably should call dell and ask them about this, but my sense of it is
    > that they didn't offer the higher amperage battery with your model and so
    > the ac adapter simply isn't up to the task of both running the computer and
    > charging the larger capacity battery at the same time. i thought that it
    > would be smart enough to just not recharge the battery (or just trickle
    > charge it) if it did not have reserve... but with the later model laptops
    > that were offered with the higher amperage batteries there is also a higher
    > amperage and wattage power supply...
    > your pa-6 pn 9364u is a 20v, 3.5amp, 70watt unit. the newer compatible
    > replacement unit is the pa-9, also the same three prong plug, and 20v output
    > but with 4.5amp, and 90watt output (meaning that it can handle a higher load
    > that the pa-6 ac adapter). since ac adapters (unlike batteries) don't go
    > bad with age, you don't have to worry about getting a fresh one... and
    > there are tons of them on ebay for less than what dell wants. in the mean
    > time, i wonder if you can charge your new battery by installing it into the
    > computer while off and plug in in the ac adapter... once fully charged you
    > should be able to run the system on ac with the new battery in place...
    > sounds as if the combination of a low battery and system turned on is what
    > knocks out the pa-6 ac adapter. let us know your results.
    >
    > "Chris Yewchuk" <stickyfngrs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Ahh - so replacing the 3800mAh battery with a 4460mAh one isnt going
    > > to hurt the machine? That's good to hear.
    > >
    > > It would make sense that the new battery is trying to draw too much
    > > current from the current power supply.
    > >
    > > The power supply I'm using right now is:
    > > Dell Model AA20031
    > > PA-6 Family
    > > P/N 9364U
    > > C/O CN
    > > Rev A00
    > > DP/N 09364U
    > >
    > > INPUT: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz
    > > 130-170VA
    > > OUTPUT: DC20V 3.5A
    > >
    > > From these specs, can it be concluded that the power supply is not
    > > compatible with the new 4460mAh battery?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help, Christopher.
    > >
    > > Chris.
    > >

    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > voltage, form factor, and minimum amperage rating makes it compatible.
    > > > higher amperage means longer lasting... it also usually means more
    > weight
    > > > and potentially slower charging (if your ac adapter is already working
    > at
    > > > capacity). i wonder if the new battery is trying to draw too much
    > current
    > > > from your ac adapter (re your other thread) and that is why the ac
    > adapter
    > > > is shutting down. which ac adapter are you using and where did your new
    > > > battery come from?
    > > >
    > > > "Chris Yewchuk" <stickyfngrs@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    write back and let us know how much longer the computer lasts. I'm eager to
    find out. I have a C600 with the 3800Mah battery and I am contemplating
    getting the new 4460MAh battery. I'm curious to know how much more time I
    would actually get....

    stickyfngrs@yahoo.com (Chris Yewchuk) wrote in message news:<37bd80aa.0405200553.3870b3ef@posting.google.com>...
    > Yeah, it looks like I just have to buy a 4.5A power supply to replace
    > the 3.5A one, as the new 4460mAh battery requires a 4.5A charging
    > current.

    I have a similar same situation. My Inspiron 4000 75UYF battery cannot
    hold a charge anymore. So I got a 66WHR to replace it. Using my PA-6
    3.5A power supply to charge the 66WHR takes forever. So I tried a PA-9
    4.5A instead (from an Inspiron 5150). Makes not a damn difference.
    Both power supplies charge about 8% of the battery per hour while my
    laptop is powered on. This means 12.5 hours for a full charge. (This
    used to be only a few hours with the 75UYF battery.)

    It must be some internal limitation of the laptop, not the power
    supply. (I don't have the same problems you have with the power supply
    failing.)

    I'll try later with the laptop turned off.. but it is harder to keep
    track of the charge time that way.

    As for operating time of the battery, I used it for more than 2 hours
    (2.5 or so) when it reached 3%. I was working at the time, so I
    plugged in the power supply at that point. This is the same time I got
    using the 75UYF when it was still working ok.

    Richie

    --

    Yes, that *is* my E-mail address.

Dell Battery Computers