Private WAN IP?

I have my 4 port router connected to a DSL modem through
which I obtain and automatic public IP. For some reason
when viewing the router's status it shows a private
(192.168.1.x) IP as my WAN IP, but when I check my
address through "What's My IP.com" it shows a valid
public (209.x.x.x) IP. Is this a way MS masks my true IP
or is something wrong. The Inet on all my PCs seems to
work fine.

Thanks
Tim
1 answer Last reply
More about private

    Your DSL modem maybe acting as a router (i.e. a NAT router).
    As a result, when your router gets an ip, it is getting it from the NAT
    router, rather than the ISP

    You should turn the NAT function in your router off.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Tim" <tdavis@ats-computers.com> wrote in message
    >I have my 4 port router connected to a DSL modem through
    > which I obtain and automatic public IP. For some reason
    > when viewing the router's status it shows a private
    > (192.168.1.x) IP as my WAN IP, but when I check my
    > address through "What's My IP.com" it shows a valid
    > public (209.x.x.x) IP. Is this a way MS masks my true IP
    > or is something wrong. The Inet on all my PCs seems to
    > work fine.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tim

Routers IP WAN Networking