Private WAN IP?

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 26, 2004 6:04:16 PM

I have my 4 port router connected to a DSL modem through
which I obtain and automatic public IP. For some reason
when viewing the router's status it shows a private
(192.168.1.x) IP as my WAN IP, but when I check my
address through "What's My IP.com" it shows a valid
public (209.x.x.x) IP. Is this a way MS masks my true IP
or is something wrong. The Inet on all my PCs seems to
work fine.

Thanks
Tim

More about : private wan

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 9:18:49 PM

Your DSL modem maybe acting as a router (i.e. a NAT router).
As a result, when your router gets an ip, it is getting it from the NAT
router, rather than the ISP

You should turn the NAT function in your router off.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

!