I need some help

ohyeah1942

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2003
I am trying to build a computer for my sister for christmas. I have everything up and running, except the computer randomly crashes. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I can't reproduce the problem on command, sometimes it works for hours, other times it works for minutes.

crash = screen goes blank, monitor power saving light comes on, computer locks up, I have to unplug the power for 5 or so mins, and turn the computer back on.

First thing I though was the ram timings were set to fast. So i took it down to the spd levels. Didn't fix the problem

Then I thought the powersupply might be bad, so I replaced it with a more powerful one. Currently running a 400W +12v antec power supply. Didn't fix the problem.

Then I thought it could be an overheating problem. I know how to choose a good fan, and properly install it. I've overclocked several computer with lots of success. Although I'm not trying to overclock this one. Anyways, I installed a temperature monitoring program, and the temps never get above 54C under full load, even after several hours. Also the computer crashes during non intensive computing times, IE: word processing.

I thought maybe it was a video card problem, so I uninstalled the video card drivers (ati 9200) and installed a gf4 ti 4200, and installed the latest nvidia drivers. Didn't fix the problem.

I then figured I had bad ram or a faulty cpu. I returned the ram and the cpu and bought new ones. Didn't fix the problem.

I updated my bios, and this didn't fix the problem.

I have windows xp pro sp1 installed and all critical updates. I have the inf files installed for the chipset, the newest sound, video, net, etc drivers. Didn't fix the problem.

I don't have any crazy software installed, just windows and office + updates + virus scanner.

I formated the system, reinstalled all software, and drivers, started crashing before I could finish downloading the windows updates.

the mother board came with the device that sits in an expansion slot with some led diagnostic lights on the back. There are 4 lights, and they are normally all 4 green. When the computer does its crash thingy, the lights numbered 1 and 4 turn red. According to my motherboard manual this means "processor initilization"

Specs:
Msi neo2 865pe
2x256mb Kingston pc3200 cl2. (khx3200ak2/512)
Ati Radeon 9200
Maxtor 40 gb 7200rpm ata133
antec 400w +12v power supply

I'll be happy to provide you with any info necessary to help me fix the problem.

Thank you,
Colapser

MrPanther0

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Well i had a top of the line system that cost me 2200 in May of 2001 specs :
Via266 A chipset
Athlon 1.33 Ghz
Geforce3
512 PC 2100
WD 20 GB HD 7200 RPM

I had COUNTLESS problems and it turned out to be the MOBO
try replacing it.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
try running it out of the case, i do this alot with systems that are flakey or unstable, sometimes they work and sometimes they dont, but there is something amiss here, seems like you have replaced everything and it still does it?you may have a hd problem, but i would try it with another if you have it, otherwise the onl,y other things you havent replaced are the sound,floppy,cdrom,hd,and case...what brand ps are you using?

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.