System Restore is not available

I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:

An exception ocurred while trying to run
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
(it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)

I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
Restore item. It says:

Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
Error 21: The device is not ready.

The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
disk crash) so should be relatively clean.

Any suggestions?

The re-install worked - thanks. I was warned that the files I was
installing were older than the existing ones so presumably I should
re-install SP2 as well?
David

Drew Tognola wrote:
> See if the System Restore 'Service' is started & set to Automatic (Start >
> Programs > Administrative Tools > Services).
>
> How to reinstall System Restore:
> -open your search tool
> -click 'advance options' (check the first 3 boxes)
> -type sr.inf in search box, click 'search now'
> -right-click on sr.inf & click 'Install'
> -insert the XP disk if asked
>
> Drew
> <d_l_adamson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
> > Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:
> >
> > An exception ocurred while trying to run
> > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
> > (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)
> >
> > I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
> > Restore item. It says:
> >
> > Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
> > Error 21: The device is not ready.
> >
> > The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
> > disk crash) so should be relatively clean.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

See if the System Restore 'Service' is started & set to Automatic (Start >
Programs > Administrative Tools > Services).

How to reinstall System Restore:
-open your search tool
-click 'advance options' (check the first 3 boxes)
-type sr.inf in search box, click 'search now'
-right-click on sr.inf & click 'Install'
-insert the XP disk if asked

Drew
<d_l_adamson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
> Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:
>
> An exception ocurred while trying to run
> "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
> (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)
>
> I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
> Restore item. It says:
>
> Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
> Error 21: The device is not ready.
>
> The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
> disk crash) so should be relatively clean.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi,

Try this link for MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore troubleshooters:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<d_l_adamson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
> Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:
>
> An exception ocurred while trying to run
> "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
> (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)
>
> I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
> Restore item. It says:
>
> Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
> Error 21: The device is not ready.
>
> The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
> disk crash) so should be relatively clean.
>
> Any suggestions?

I personally don't think you need to go that far. As long as your 'Restore'
is working properly that should be enough.

> The re-install worked - thanks. I was warned that the files I was
> installing were older than the existing ones so presumably I should
> re-install SP2 as well?
> David
>
> Drew Tognola wrote:
>> See if the System Restore 'Service' is started & set to Automatic (Start
>> >
>> Programs > Administrative Tools > Services).
>>
>> How to reinstall System Restore:
>> -open your search tool
>> -click 'advance options' (check the first 3 boxes)
>> -type sr.inf in search box, click 'search now'
>> -right-click on sr.inf & click 'Install'
>> -insert the XP disk if asked
>>
>> Drew
>> <d_l_adamson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
>> > Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:
>> >
>> > An exception ocurred while trying to run
>> > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
>> > (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)
>> >
>> > I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
>> > Restore item. It says:
>> >
>> > Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
>> > Error 21: The device is not ready.
>> >
>> > The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
>> > disk crash) so should be relatively clean.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?

> (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)

sysdm.cpl is System Properties.

Paste sysdm.cpl into the Start | Run box and click OK.

systm.cpl is nothing

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes