System Restore is not available

I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:

An exception ocurred while trying to run
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
(it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)

I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
Restore item. It says:

Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
Error 21: The device is not ready.

The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
disk crash) so should be relatively clean.

Any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about system restore available

    The re-install worked - thanks. I was warned that the files I was
    installing were older than the existing ones so presumably I should
    re-install SP2 as well?
    David

    Drew Tognola wrote:
    > See if the System Restore 'Service' is started & set to Automatic (Start >
    > Programs > Administrative Tools > Services).
    >
    > How to reinstall System Restore:
    > -open your search tool
    > -click 'advance options' (check the first 3 boxes)
    > -type sr.inf in search box, click 'search now'
    > -right-click on sr.inf & click 'Install'
    > -insert the XP disk if asked
    >
    > Drew
    > <d_l_adamson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
    > > Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:
    > >
    > > An exception ocurred while trying to run
    > > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
    > > (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)
    > >
    > > I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
    > > Restore item. It says:
    > >
    > > Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
    > > Error 21: The device is not ready.
    > >
    > > The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
    > > disk crash) so should be relatively clean.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

    See if the System Restore 'Service' is started & set to Automatic (Start >
    Programs > Administrative Tools > Services).

    How to reinstall System Restore:
    -open your search tool
    -click 'advance options' (check the first 3 boxes)
    -type sr.inf in search box, click 'search now'
    -right-click on sr.inf & click 'Install'
    -insert the XP disk if asked

    Drew
    <d_l_adamson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
    > Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:
    >
    > An exception ocurred while trying to run
    > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
    > (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)
    >
    > I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
    > Restore item. It says:
    >
    > Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
    > Error 21: The device is not ready.
    >
    > The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
    > disk crash) so should be relatively clean.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Hi,

    Try this link for MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore troubleshooters:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    <d_l_adamson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
    > Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:
    >
    > An exception ocurred while trying to run
    > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
    > (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)
    >
    > I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
    > Restore item. It says:
    >
    > Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
    > Error 21: The device is not ready.
    >
    > The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
    > disk crash) so should be relatively clean.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I personally don't think you need to go that far. As long as your 'Restore'
    is working properly that should be enough.

    > The re-install worked - thanks. I was warned that the files I was
    > installing were older than the existing ones so presumably I should
    > re-install SP2 as well?
    > David
    >
    > Drew Tognola wrote:
    >> See if the System Restore 'Service' is started & set to Automatic (Start
    >> >
    >> Programs > Administrative Tools > Services).
    >>
    >> How to reinstall System Restore:
    >> -open your search tool
    >> -click 'advance options' (check the first 3 boxes)
    >> -type sr.inf in search box, click 'search now'
    >> -right-click on sr.inf & click 'Install'
    >> -insert the XP disk if asked
    >>
    >> Drew
    >> <d_l_adamson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
    >> > Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:
    >> >
    >> > An exception ocurred while trying to run
    >> > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
    >> > (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)
    >> >
    >> > I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
    >> > Restore item. It says:
    >> >
    >> > Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
    >> > Error 21: The device is not ready.
    >> >
    >> > The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
    >> > disk crash) so should be relatively clean.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions?

    > (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)

    sysdm.cpl is System Properties.

    Paste sysdm.cpl into the Start | Run box and click OK.

    systm.cpl is nothing

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1125912703.637110.172340@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
    d_l_adamson@hotmail.com <d_l_adamson@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I discovered System Restore wasn't running. I tried the Control
    > Panel/System and clicked System Restore tab. It says:
    >
    > An exception ocurred while trying to run

    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cp
    l",System"
    > (it really says sysdm.cpl not systm.cpl)
    >
    > I tried doing Start/Run services.msc and double clicking the System
    > Restore item. It says:
    >
    > Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer.
    > Error 21: The device is not ready.
    >
    > The installation is XP SP2 and it's a recent re-install (caused by hard
    > disk crash) so should be relatively clean.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

System32 System Restore Windows XP