Gottlieb Stage Coach

Picked this machine up today. Got it and a Bally Lost world.

He told me it didn't work, but wanted to show me while we were in his
garage. we fired it up, and by golly it actually seemed to work pretty
dang good.

Got it home and it wouldn't work at all. Go figure.

So I got into the backbox of it, and just went through and made sure
that all the coils moved freely, and that all the bakelite disks
weren't too gunked up. Plugged it back in and viola! it's back to
working again.

What I'm finding is that sometimes, when I plug it in, I know straight
away soumething is fouled up. It starts humming... not good. So I
unplug and just manually reset the disks in the backbox. try again,
and usually one of two things will happen. Either it will come on and
blink lights or it will not do anything at all (not a bad thing) If
it's blinking, it will also have released the balls, so I can launch
one, and as soon as it hits a scoring target, the lights quit blinking
and it plays like normal. If it's not doing anything when I plug it
in, I can hit the credit button and away we go. I don't know what's
making the difference between these two situations yet.

Second is that when the last ball drains, the flipper still work, and
it goes through an end of ball sequence, but doesn't seem to actually
end the game. Is that right? Should it still allow the flippers to
work?

This is my first woodrail, and i'm just getting to know the schematic,
but without knowing what is the correct behavior, I feel like I'm
taking a bit of a stab in the dark.

If you can tell me more about this game, I'd really love to hear it.

If you want to see pics of the game, take a look at
http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/bigdaddyebay/?dir=stagecoach

MitchelWB

See http://marvin3m.com/gtb as this will explains things better.
But you are correct, there is NO game-over relay in stage coach.
The game ends (that is, 5 balls are played), and the flippers
still work. Note no "game over" screened on the backglass.

Also you need to visit http://marvin3m.com/em and rebuild the
stepper units. that will fix your intermittent game start
problems. all units MUST reset cleanly or the game will buzz
and burn itself up.

Your cabinet is obviously repainted too. but you probably
knew that.

MitchelWB wrote:
> Picked this machine up today. Got it and a Bally Lost world.
>
> He told me it didn't work, but wanted to show me while we were in his
> garage. we fired it up, and by golly it actually seemed to work pretty
> dang good.
>
> Got it home and it wouldn't work at all. Go figure.
>
> So I got into the backbox of it, and just went through and made sure
> that all the coils moved freely, and that all the bakelite disks
> weren't too gunked up. Plugged it back in and viola! it's back to
> working again.
>
> What I'm finding is that sometimes, when I plug it in, I know straight
> away soumething is fouled up. It starts humming... not good. So I
> unplug and just manually reset the disks in the backbox. try again,
> and usually one of two things will happen. Either it will come on and
> blink lights or it will not do anything at all (not a bad thing) If
> it's blinking, it will also have released the balls, so I can launch
> one, and as soon as it hits a scoring target, the lights quit blinking
> and it plays like normal. If it's not doing anything when I plug it
> in, I can hit the credit button and away we go. I don't know what's
> making the difference between these two situations yet.
>
> Second is that when the last ball drains, the flipper still work, and
> it goes through an end of ball sequence, but doesn't seem to actually
> end the game. Is that right? Should it still allow the flippers to
> work?
>
> This is my first woodrail, and i'm just getting to know the schematic,
> but without knowing what is the correct behavior, I feel like I'm
> taking a bit of a stab in the dark.
>
> If you can tell me more about this game, I'd really love to hear it.
>
> If you want to see pics of the game, take a look at
> http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/bigdaddyebay/?dir=stagecoach
>
> MitchelWB

I know. I saw the paint job on it when I bought it, and thought it was
a bit strange, but being totally green when it comes to woodrails, I
wouldn't have known.

Appreciate the reply though. I have scoured the schematic trying to
figure out how it knows the darn game is over, hadn't thought to look
at the back of the backglass to see if it had been screened with a game
over! But knowing that it's behaving as normal when that last ball
drains certainly makes a big difference.

One other question though, if the ball falls through one of the gobble
holes in the middle of the playfield, should I get that ball back? Or
are those things basically like having 5 outholes right smack in the
middle of the playfield?

MitchelWB

FLiPPY

Distinguished
May 18, 2003

"MitchelWB" <mitchelwb-rgp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> One other question though, if the ball falls through one of the gobble
> holes in the middle of the playfield, should I get that ball back? Or
> are those things basically like having 5 outholes right smack in the
> middle of the playfield?

gobbled & gone !!