HDMI vs. DVI

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
HDMI vs. DVI...Most people say HDMI is better but I'v heard that they both are the same as in image quality but HDMI is audio and video where as DVI is only video..is that true or am I missing something?

DVI is better - in general, DVI supports higher resolution, and I've had fewer problems getting signals to work properly. The only time I would use HDMI is if I really needed to transport audio and video together. Since most computer monitors do not contain speakers, this is usually not an issue for a computer monitor.

Generally speaking both should provide the same video quality at 1920 x 1200 resolution or less as long as the quality of the components used are similar. If the components used for the HDMI connection is bad, then DVI will look better and vice versa.

HDMI can carry audio signals which is a plus for many people. However, it cannot be used drive a monitor that can handle higher resolution because there is no such thing as a dual linked HDMI connection yet to the best of my knowledge. That means two HDMI connections wrapped into one.

To drive a 2560 x 1440 or 2560 x 1600 resolution monitor you must use a dual linked DVI connection or two DVI connections.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Alright thanks, I get it now but I dont know what you mean by components?