Sign in with
Your question

Which smartphone has the best call quality?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
March 10, 2013 12:17:17 PM

Most reviews center on the processor and gaming but very few focus on call quality. I really only use my phone for google maps, email, and calls (no games). From your experience, what Android or Windows phone gives the best call quality? And the best map function.
a b Ë Android
March 10, 2013 12:32:21 PM

I think both platforms are good for your purposes. I use a Windows Phone with Nokia Maps and Drive. They work great! Haven't really used android so cannot compare the two, but I've heard google maps is also good.

Not sure you'd be able to tell the difference between call quality on the two platforms.
m
l
March 10, 2013 12:43:48 PM

I have a Samsung Infuse "4G" and the call quality has sucked from day 1 - I've had it for 2 years now. I tried the Nokia Lumia 900 and the call quality was excellent but I really disliked the fact that I couldn't get google maps with all my favorite places. I would have kept the Nokia but the maps really killed it for me and I returned the phone.

So I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm thinking between HTC One X+ or LG Optimus G. The latter is only $60 with a 2 year contract.

If anyone has an opinion on which Android phone has the best call quality...
m
l
Related resources
a b Ë Android
March 10, 2013 1:11:13 PM

Actually it's your 2G network, that sends/recieves normal calls and messages which determines the quality. Not 3G or 4G.
m
l
a b Ë Android
March 12, 2013 2:50:45 AM

I like the new Windows Phones. I'd suggest either a Lumia or HTC if you're planning to buy one.
m
l
April 28, 2013 10:58:24 AM

I suggest Lumia series. They have superb voice quality.
m
l
April 29, 2013 5:19:44 AM

No problems with iPhone here. I dont know if it's the best since I havent tried Windows and other phones but iPhone has a great quality :) 
m
l
May 10, 2013 5:21:19 AM

i have use lost of brand in head set but i love to use Iphone 4 i think this smartphone is best....... in every feature
m
l
May 16, 2013 7:43:44 AM

Great question, I'm in the same boat. Looking for my next smartphone. Reviews consistently say S4 call quality isn't as good as iPhone or XTC one. I use maps on my iPad and have found apple's app pretty awful and even the google maps app not so good. I just use google maps through the browser. Hope more people respond.
m
l
June 7, 2013 12:10:28 PM

alicepattinson said:
No problems with iPhone here. I dont know if it's the best since I havent tried Windows and other phones but iPhone has a great quality :) 

I'm currently using a iphone 4s and the call quality is horrible but the maps and apps are great. Personally, I don't use many apps on my iphone so I'm also looking to switch to something with better call quality. I've had blackberries in the past and never had an issue with call quality and since I don't use apps I may go back in that direction. I've never had an android or nokia phone to compare but blackberries do have good call quality and keyboards...if nothing else.
m
l
June 12, 2013 7:16:43 AM

yo2458 said:
alicepattinson said:

I'm currently using a iphone 4s and the call quality is horrible but the maps and apps are great. Personally, I don't use many apps on my iphone so I'm also looking to switch to something with better call quality. I've had blackberries in the past and never had an issue with call quality and since I don't use apps I may go back in that direction. I've never had an android or nokia phone to compare but blackberries do have good call quality and keyboards...if nothing else.

Oh sorry to hear that. Hmmm, you can also try android phones but if you really like to go back to BB go for it :) 
m
l
June 18, 2013 11:47:51 PM

Both phones have good call quality. The difference can be in processors not in calling.
m
l
June 27, 2013 5:01:02 AM

The HTC One with the boom sound has the best sound I have heard so far. I'm in the market for a better call quality cell as well, and been surfing options for about 2 weeks. A friend showed me his HTC One and the sound is amazing. FYI
m
l
June 29, 2013 10:05:35 AM

Ok here goes my two cents I have tried lumia 920 but scuttled back to android due to many reasons and one is call drops on bluetooth.However I have used samsungs and HTC too but I am very very happy with call quality on my note 2. Having said this I have tried out the One and htc has got some awesome sound clarity on it.Dont know bout iPhones dont care to..Not after the maps debacle...
m
l
June 30, 2013 1:04:19 AM

Nokia has the best quality in call quality imo. However, samsung galaxy s4 is pretty much the best smartphone overall. :) 
m
l
June 30, 2013 1:09:44 AM

Momo Iko said:
Nokia has the best quality in call quality imo.

Not for me...My lumia even after two replacements kept dropping calls on bluetooth with a consistency that amazed me as much as it irritated me
m
l
July 3, 2013 10:49:01 PM

The Razr Maxx HD I got last week has really great call quality. So much better than the non-smartphone LG I was using before that! Loud and crisp.
m
l
August 4, 2013 10:12:51 AM

Motorola had really good call quality before they were taken over by Google. Now it's terrible. My Galaxy Nexus is awful as well. Wish I had an answer - I've been searching for a phone with good voice quality for over a year.
m
l
November 29, 2013 9:03:59 PM

Call quality is a combination of your carriers signal strength at your location and the phone's receiver sensitivity as well as the speaker and microphone. I believe most modern smarthones can reproduce voice quality just fine. (There are exceptions but these are well documented bugs with specific models.)
Long ago before smart phones, receiver sensitivity was speced. Now it is impossible to find so you are destined to go by opinions and your own trial and error.
My dining room is a very marginal reception area for at&t. Based on my testing in this room, my experience of my last 3 phones has been:
BlackBerry was great.
Motorola Atrix 2 was almost as good.
IPhone 4and 4s would get no reception

My current phone is a Samsung note 3 and it gets good reception in the dining room. I only had it for a week or I would give it a higher rating.

Hope this helps
TJ
m
l
November 29, 2013 11:18:39 PM

I ended up going with the iphone 5 back in March and I don't regret it at all. It fits in one hand, the mics and speaker are amazing, and I got it for $100 back when AT&T had a trade-in deal.

Prior to that, I had tested the Nokia Lumia 900 and it also had excellent call quality but I returned it because there was no google support for maps.

m
l
February 13, 2014 5:36:12 AM

As this thread is mainly about call quality i would like to comment about my experience. I have iphone 4 and i hate it because of calls being dropped. My wife has the S4 on the same network (StraitTalk) and even though it only has 1 bar it walk not loose signal and drop a call. This is in same room in the same house.
I want an HTC One but i'm afraid it may not have the same call ability as the S4.
m
l
March 4, 2014 6:56:12 AM

I have had Nexus 5 , Nexus 4 , Lumia 520 and Galaxy S2. They all have issues with call quality in that they are all low.

All my other phones that are not smart phones are all louder. It would appear that majority smart phones have this issue.

Even though the HTC one has stereo sound the phone call quality was not good , although the sound playback - music was quite good.

Wish a smart phone came out with great call quality.
Cell phones and smartphones FAQ and solutions
Here in the cell phone and smartphone section of the forums we get a lot of questions for help with lost and stole phones and forgotton passwords and account info. Unfortunatly we do not run a location service and can only help out with providing... See full content
m
l
March 4, 2014 6:57:01 AM

I have had Nexus 5 , Nexus 4 , Lumia 520 and Galaxy S2. They all have issues with call quality in that they are all low.

All my other phones that are not smart phones are all louder. It would appear that majority smart phones have this issue.

Even though the HTC one has stereo sound the phone call quality was not good , although the sound playback - music was quite good.

Here in the cell phone and smartphone section of the forums we get a lot of questions for help with lost and stole phones and forgotton passwords and account info. Unfortunatly we do not run a location service and can only help out with providing... See full content
m
l
March 4, 2014 6:57:01 AM

m
l
July 7, 2014 9:05:41 AM

yo2458 said:
alicepattinson said:

I have had every iPhone, most Blackberry's and a number of Android devices and in my opinion call quality on iPhones is in the "super mega simply sucks class". An iPhone raw and on its own without a case is not great with call quality, but reasonable, put any case on it and it becomes less than useless. Run an iPhone without a case and soon you are a sad soul with a cracked screen. Quite the dilemma.

I am not waiting for the new iPhone 6, the 5 was enough of a slap me in the face experience from a call quality point of view and after a lengthy 3 month review of Lumina, HTC and Samsung I decided the HTC One:M8 cannot be beat for the call and sound experience, though I must confess the call quality on the Lumina was better. That HTC sound system for when you are at home on speakerphone though is pretty amazing so overall the HTC got the pragmatists nod.

I use my smartphone as a business tool and as I am a serious road warrior, call quality is the most important facet I require. The camera is useless from a business point of view and just a nice to have so the fact the camera is not the best one available (Lumina wins that evaluation point hands down) was not high on my evaluation criteria, call quality and a nice screen for WAZE was. (I spend my time surfing car pool lanes and avoiding CHP officers which requires a nice big screen and sharp sound capability).

If the Lumina did not have that silly Windows 8 Tile GUI I would have bought it, Windows 8 tiles fill me with the urge to defecate, not good when u are stuck on the 880 in rush hour traffic.......Yuck!

The HTC's only fault is the camera but its still better than the iPhone 5 camera. The 5S is a better device but the screen size and call quality are still sub standard IMHO.
m
l
July 7, 2014 9:07:36 AM

AS85 said:
Most reviews center on the processor and gaming but very few focus on call quality. I really only use my phone for google maps, email, and calls (no games). From your experience, what Android or Windows phone gives the best call quality? And the best map function.

It's more to do with the radio, but if both callers have HD Voice capable handsets on an HD Voice carrier, that will be the best.
m
l
July 7, 2014 9:40:07 AM

The lack of call quality focus on smartphone reviews and tests is a very disturbing issue.

I have had every iPhone, most Blackberry's and a number of Android devices and in my opinion call quality on iPhones is in the "super mega simply sucks class". An iPhone raw and on its own without a case is not great with call quality, but reasonable, put any case on it and it becomes less than useless. Run an iPhone without a case and soon you are a sad soul with a cracked screen. Quite the dilemma.

I am not waiting for the new iPhone 6, the 5 was enough of a slap me in the face experience from a call quality point of view and after a lengthy 3 month review of Lumina, HTC and Samsung I decided the HTC One:M8 cannot be beat for the call and sound experience, though I must confess the call quality on the Lumina was better. That HTC sound system for when you are at home on speakerphone though is pretty amazing so overall the HTC got the pragmatists nod.

I use my smartphone as a business tool and as I am a serious road warrior, call quality is the most important facet I require. The camera is useless from a business point of view and just a nice to have so the fact the camera in the HTC one M8: is not the best one available (Lumina wins that evaluation point hands down) was not high on my PERSONAL evaluation criteria, call quality and a nice screen for WAZE operations was. (I spend my time surfing car pool lanes and avoiding CHP officers which requires a nice big screen and sharp sound capability).

If the Lumina did not have that silly Windows 8 Tile GUI I would have bought it, Windows 8 tiles fill me with the urge to defecate, not good when u are stuck on the 880 in rush hour traffic.......Yuck!

The HTC's only fault is the camera but its still better than the iPhone 5 camera. The 5S is a better device than the 5 but the screen size and call quality are still sub standard IMHO.

It would be nice to see some Smartphone reviews from a road warrior pragmatist point of view where operating phones in cars, trucks, planes and on windy golf courses as well as noisy airports is taken into account. Too many reviews are focused on apps and games and are not real world business focused, rather, focusing on the spoiled toy syndrome aspects of a smartphone.

This is not useful to us road warrior types who care figs for angry birds type gaming opinions on the various smartphone products. It would also be nice to see some more Huawei smartphone reviews as well, I was shocked to discover how reasonable these devices are when traveling in South East Asia recently.

I also note that many people believe that the call quality is totally dependent on the carrier, Hah!! That is simple fallacy!! Noise cancelling placement, component quality and design are a huge factor in call quality on a mobile phone. I think a lot of education needs to take place re call quality on the various devices out there, with some of them it sounds like you are conducting your call from an underground tunnel on the moon.

I recently bought over $2500 worth of bluetooth devices to overcome the effect that various phone cases killing the noise cancelling capabilities of various smartphones have and was shocked to find that the only phone devices that worked great with sound quality from an add on bluetooth device perspective were good old ancient Blackberry devices!! How can this be? Scant reviews I have read even make trivial mention of this irksome but must know about reality??

I get the idea most smartphone reviewers are caught up in the features and uses of applications and have somehow forgotten the bloody things are primarily Telephones!! Maybe someone should employ me to do these reviews right from a road warrior perspective....
m
l
!