Re-install explorer

September 5, 2005 11:48:25 PM

My Win 2000 Pro had a virus infection that I cleaned with VET AntiVirus. In
the process my Explorer and IExplorer won't work and when I boot into the
system I can't get a start button. I was told I would have to do an
in-place upgrade which could create more work for me with SP4 etc, etc.

Based on this - if this happened to one of my WIN XP systems would I have to
do the same or will I be able to restore just EXPLORER from the original CD?
Without an "in place upgrade" which seems a little too "invasive".
or would you do something with Recovery console?

I hope this isn't too ambiguous a question.

Thanks,

More about : install explorer

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:48:26 PM

From your desktop, does pressing the F3 key open the search box? If so,
click 'advanced options' and check the first 3 boxes. Change the search
criteria to Local Disk (C), Type explorer.exe in the search box, click
search.
inside the serach results, right-click & 'copy' a found explorer.exe file.
Click the arrow to the left of the 'Go' button, select Local Disk (C),
right-click inside the search results area and click 'Paste'. Exit search.
Hold down the Ctrl, Alt & Delete buttons to open Task Manager, click
Shutdown, logoff, log on.
Drew

"jm7" <x@noSpamMail.com> wrote in message
> My Win 2000 Pro had a virus infection that I cleaned with VET AntiVirus.
> In the process my Explorer and IExplorer won't work and when I boot into
> the system I can't get a start button. I was told I would have to do an
> in-place upgrade which could create more work for me with SP4 etc, etc.
>
> Based on this - if this happened to one of my WIN XP systems would I have
> to do the same or will I be able to restore just EXPLORER from the
> original CD? Without an "in place upgrade" which seems a little too
> "invasive".
> or would you do something with Recovery console?
>
> I hope this isn't too ambiguous a question.
>
> Thanks,

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:48:27 PM

Sorry, I gave a bad instruction, when clicking the arrow to the left of the
'Go' button in 'search results', select Local Disk (C), then click the
'Windows' folder, then 'Paste' into 'Windows' folder.

Drew

"Drew Tognola" <drewtognola@msn.com> wrote in message
> From your desktop, does pressing the F3 key open the search box? If so,
> click 'advanced options' and check the first 3 boxes. Change the search
> criteria to Local Disk (C), Type explorer.exe in the search box, click
> search.
> inside the serach results, right-click & 'copy' a found explorer.exe file.
> Click the arrow to the left of the 'Go' button, select Local Disk (C),
> right-click inside the search results area and click 'Paste'. Exit search.
> Hold down the Ctrl, Alt & Delete buttons to open Task Manager, click
> Shutdown, logoff, log on.
> Drew
>
> "jm7" <x@noSpamMail.com> wrote in message
>> My Win 2000 Pro had a virus infection that I cleaned with VET AntiVirus.
>> In the process my Explorer and IExplorer won't work and when I boot into
>> the system I can't get a start button. I was told I would have to do an
>> in-place upgrade which could create more work for me with SP4 etc, etc.
>>
>> Based on this - if this happened to one of my WIN XP systems would I have
>> to do the same or will I be able to restore just EXPLORER from the
>> original CD? Without an "in place upgrade" which seems a little too
>> "invasive".
>> or would you do something with Recovery console?
>>
>> I hope this isn't too ambiguous a question.
>>
>> Thanks,

September 6, 2005 1:42:46 PM

No my desktop has nothing on it. so F3 doesn't do anything.
I was mainly asking about XP - will it create similar problems or does it
have better recovery procedures in place?
Thanks for the reply. I even tried copying explorer from another computer
but it won;t work as there obviously some other support files that are
damaged, not just the Explorer.exe file (which is actually present)
John

--
John
jrg_REM_SPAM@bigpond.net.au
"Drew Tognola" <drewtognola@msn.com> wrote in message
> From your desktop, does pressing the F3 key open the search box? If so,
> click 'advanced options' and check the first 3 boxes. Change the search
> criteria to Local Disk (C), Type explorer.exe in the search box, click
> search.
> inside the serach results, right-click & 'copy' a found explorer.exe file.
> Click the arrow to the left of the 'Go' button, select Local Disk (C),
> right-click inside the search results area and click 'Paste'. Exit search.
> Hold down the Ctrl, Alt & Delete buttons to open Task Manager, click
> Shutdown, logoff, log on.
> Drew
>
> "jm7" <x@noSpamMail.com> wrote in message
> > My Win 2000 Pro had a virus infection that I cleaned with VET AntiVirus.
> > In the process my Explorer and IExplorer won't work and when I boot into
> > the system I can't get a start button. I was told I would have to do an
> > in-place upgrade which could create more work for me with SP4 etc, etc.
> >
> > Based on this - if this happened to one of my WIN XP systems would I
have
> > to do the same or will I be able to restore just EXPLORER from the
> > original CD? Without an "in place upgrade" which seems a little too
> > "invasive".
> > or would you do something with Recovery console?
> >
> > I hope this isn't too ambiguous a question.
> >
> > Thanks,

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:42:47 PM

http://www.theeldergeek.com has some good info. on repairing IE.