How do I move my windows from my old PC into my new build? HELP!!

johnnyboy128

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Hey, I just built a new PC, tested it (working =D), and now am just wondering how I transfer my operating system from my very old PC to my new one. I have no idea how to so please let me know.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
If it's a preinstalled OS it's OEM and can't be used on another computer.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

Microsoft.com

Most of the time Microsoft is lenient about reactivating an OEM license as long as it is only being used on a single system - By the letter of the EULA it dies with the first system that it was installed on but if asked they will sometimes make exceptions and reactivate (normally the auto activation process by phone will reactivate the license just fine as long as it has not been reactivated recently and their server records do not show that key in use on several systems) -- Figure they are more concerned with keeping companies etc. from using hundreds or thousands of copies illegally than they are about a home user reactivating an OEM license on a new system after upgrading so will usually make an exception in these cases rather than being strict about the license not being reuseable.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
It's a custom built pc not an upgrade.Nothing on the new pc is connected to the oem license , therefore not valid.

You can't just build a new computer and grab a windows 7 oem license from say a dell,hp,gateway,etc. that is not running and use it,that is illegal.

If it's a non prebuilt oem license from say newegg , microsoft may work with you.If it's a branded oem , they won't allow it.

It's not illegal if Microsoft or an employee of Microsoft reactivates the product license - License terms are negotiated constantly and by them providing reactivation of the OEM license the end result is a perfectly valid and fully Legal installation -- As long as you do not lie to them when trying to activate if the auto activation or the manual activation by a CS agent of MS passes the required Microsoft validation or they give you a valid activation response code then there is nothing "illegal" about it !