Sorry if this has been asked before but here goes. I am going to clean up a
friend's computer. I am well experienced with most brands except Compaq. The
system was purchased in February 2001. So I remember something about the
BIOS settings being on the hard drive of Compaqs but am not sure how long
ago that information was accurate. Also how non-standard is the Compaq
system? I believe this one is a 5000 series but not sure yet of the exact
type. Can I just format and clean install Windows ME (yes I know) since it
came with ME? I would install XP but this system supposedly has 64 MB of
RAM...which sorely needs to be increased. Thanks for any tips and
information.

Regards,
John O.

hh

First, without knowing which 5000 series model you are referring to, it's
next to impossible to offer advice. There are literally dozens of 5000
Series models. As for the CMOS settings, it's uinlikely a 2001 model has the
non-DOS partition on the hard drive. Presarios dropped those in late
1998/early 1999. I'ts likely in ROM.
HH

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> Sorry if this has been asked before but here goes. I am going to clean up
> friend's computer. I am well experienced with most brands except Compaq.
The
> system was purchased in February 2001. So I remember something about the
> BIOS settings being on the hard drive of Compaqs but am not sure how long
> ago that information was accurate. Also how non-standard is the Compaq
> system? I believe this one is a 5000 series but not sure yet of the exact
> type. Can I just format and clean install Windows ME (yes I know) since it
> came with ME? I would install XP but this system supposedly has 64 MB of
> RAM...which sorely needs to be increased. Thanks for any tips and
> information.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the vague information. I am getting this
second hand. Actually after they passed on the system specifics to me, I
suggested they buy something newer rather than spend money to upgrade the
RAM and video card. In the world of computing 4 years is a bit long in the
tooth. Besides with an 800 MHz processor and 64 MB of RAM and an 8MB video
card, this has a way to go to be a lot faster.

Regards,
John O.