Funhouse Problems

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I recently had my battery pack replaced and boards gone through by
twobits because I was having reset problems. While the boards were
out I replaced the eye open coil and the centering flange. After
getting the boards back the resets are gone but I didn't have any
sound. They told me to unplug the batteries and put new ones in. I
then got sound but rudys eye functions wouldn't work so I kept trying
the batteries then I got both sound and eyes to work but then couldn't
enter the high scores. The other day they all finally worked after
taking the batteries out and putting back in once again but after a
few games I lost sound once again. If anyone has any ideas what might
be going on I would sure appreciate the help. Thanks

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

I would start by pulling and carefully, but firmly and fully, reseating all
the ribbon cables.

Sometimes when you are in there doing something as simple as replacing
batteries you rub up against the ribbon cables and can jostle and loosen
them on the pins.

Otto

CARGPB11

"Dennis" <Dnyce26@cox.net> wrote in message

> I recently had my battery pack replaced and boards gone through by
> twobits because I was having reset problems. While the boards were
> out I replaced the eye open coil and the centering flange. After
> getting the boards back the resets are gone but I didn't have any
> sound. They told me to unplug the batteries and put new ones in. I
> then got sound but rudys eye functions wouldn't work so I kept trying
> the batteries then I got both sound and eyes to work but then couldn't
> enter the high scores. The other day they all finally worked after
> taking the batteries out and putting back in once again but after a
> few games I lost sound once again. If anyone has any ideas what might
> be going on I would sure appreciate the help. Thanks

What model of Funhouse do you have- the WPC version where sound is
controlled by the two buttons (up/down) inside coin door, or the early
WPC/System 11 proto that used the volume control knob in the cabinet- like
games from earlier years.

If the early version, I'd suspect a bad/dirty volume pot- very common.

If WPC, then I'd double/triple check all of your speaker wire connections
especially those coming off the sound board (for loose wires, etc). then
check all the ribbon cable connections between all boards- remove/reseat all
ribbon cable connectors repeatedly to clean up any bad connections.

If it were true that "removing/replacing" the batteries was really fixing
your game, I think you'd have the first game of this magical kind in the
world- I've honestly never heard a more ridiculous solution to getting Rudy
working again and your sound back- I can't believe that someone at Two Bit
would suggest this- unless they know something "magical" about these games
and this process that I don't- it sounds bizarre.... Sort of like pulling
the oil out of your car and putting it back in just to make it start-
doesn't make any sense... I've seen things in Harry Potter movies that seem
more practical than this... ;)

The problems with Rudy working are 99 times out of 100 attributed to
weak/poor connections in the 6-pin (5-wire) connector under the playfield
that connects playfield harness to "Rudy harness". These wear out over the
years and should be replaced.

Sound issues sound like bad pot or bad ribbon cable connections- most likely
causes.

Good luck!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"Dennis" <Dnyce26@cox.net> wrote in message

> I recently had my battery pack replaced and boards gone through by
> twobits because I was having reset problems. While the boards were
> out I replaced the eye open coil and the centering flange. After
> getting the boards back the resets are gone but I didn't have any
> sound. They told me to unplug the batteries and put new ones in. I
> then got sound but rudys eye functions wouldn't work so I kept trying
> the batteries then I got both sound and eyes to work but then couldn't
> enter the high scores. The other day they all finally worked after
> taking the batteries out and putting back in once again but after a
> few games I lost sound once again. If anyone has any ideas what might
> be going on I would sure appreciate the help. Thanks

Dennis <Dnyce26@cox.net> wrote in news:8a0re1tu6t4ngkn7nka4mdsadb7ko3i7g7@
4ax.com:

> I recently had my battery pack replaced and boards gone through by
> twobits because I was having reset problems. While the boards were
> out I replaced the eye open coil and the centering flange. After
> getting the boards back the resets are gone but I didn't have any
> sound. They told me to unplug the batteries and put new ones in. I
> then got sound but rudys eye functions wouldn't work so I kept trying
> the batteries then I got both sound and eyes to work but then couldn't
> enter the high scores. The other day they all finally worked after
> taking the batteries out and putting back in once again but after a
> few games I lost sound once again. If anyone has any ideas what might
> be going on I would sure appreciate the help. Thanks

Funhouse has a few goofy things, being the first WPC game and all. Go into
the test menu, and do a FACTORY RESET. That'll probably cure you right up!
:)

(note: not FACTORY ADJUSTMENTS... That will just reset all the game
"rules". You want to blank out the memory entirely.)