why we use illegal versions of xp

Hi all

well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was 98SE since that
date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i don't get what i am
paying for, and after almost 6 years useing unoffical versions of microsoft i
saied ok it is time to give it a try again, i baught a new notebook which
comes with Russian xp and i say it is ok i can call and ask to get it in
English as i understood i paied for that windows too, so i called microsoft
office and told them the story and all i get was (sorry we can not help you)
so i told the lady who answered me this means that i should go to any market
and get a $3.00 version of windows xp and i am realy sorry to say the answer
was yessssssssssssssssss.

so now i think microsoft should not be so unhappy about how many people use
unofficail versions of there os, as it is our right to get it in any lang we
want chinese. indian, Russian english as long as we pay
20 answers Last reply
More about illegal versions

    And if you buy a Russian computer from a Russian company
    that used a Russian version of Microsoft Windows you think
    it is Microsoft's problem and not yours or the Russian
    company that sold you the computer.

    If you got the clap from a Russian working girl/guy would
    you expect that the condom company pay for your medical
    treatment IF you chose to not actually use the condom?

    some support

    "ike223" <ike223@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hi all
    |
    | well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was
    98SE since that
    | date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i
    don't get what i am
    | paying for, and after almost 6 years useing unoffical
    versions of microsoft i
    | saied ok it is time to give it a try again, i baught a new
    notebook which
    | comes with Russian xp and i say it is ok i can call and
    ask to get it in
    | English as i understood i paied for that windows too, so i
    called microsoft
    | office and told them the story and all i get was (sorry we
    can not help you)
    | so i told the lady who answered me this means that i
    should go to any market
    | and get a $3.00 version of windows xp and i am realy sorry
    to say the answer
    | was yessssssssssssssssss.
    |
    | so now i think microsoft should not be so unhappy about
    how many people use
    | unofficail versions of there os, as it is our right to get
    it in any lang we
    | want chinese. indian, Russian english as long as we pay

    "ike223" <ike223@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was 98SE since that
    > date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i don't get what i
    > am
    > paying for, and after almost 6 years useing unoffical versions of
    > microsoft i
    > saied ok it is time to give it a try again, i baught a new notebook which
    > comes with Russian xp and i say it is ok i can call and ask to get it in
    > English as i understood i paied for that windows too, so i called
    > microsoft
    > office and told them the story and all i get was (sorry we can not help
    > you)
    > so i told the lady who answered me this means that i should go to any
    > market
    > and get a $3.00 version of windows xp and i am realy sorry to say the
    > answer
    > was yessssssssssssssssss.
    >
    > so now i think microsoft should not be so unhappy about how many people
    > use
    > unofficail versions of there os, as it is our right to get it in any lang
    > we
    > want chinese. indian, Russian english as long as we pay

    If you bought a book published in one language would you have the right to
    ask the publisher for free translation to another language? I'm not a fan of
    the way Microsoft licenses their products but I think you are asking for too
    much. A buyer has some responsibility to make sure what they are buying in
    suitable for what they want to do. At best whoever sold you the notebook may
    allow you to return it.

    Kerry

    The reason you use illegal versions is because it is cheaper to do so. In
    fact I doubt you'd even bother to pay $3 if you can get it for free.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "ike223" <ike223@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was 98SE since that
    > date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i don't get what i
    > am
    > paying for, and after almost 6 years useing unoffical versions of
    > microsoft i
    > saied ok it is time to give it a try again, i baught a new notebook which
    > comes with Russian xp and i say it is ok i can call and ask to get it in
    > English as i understood i paied for that windows too, so i called
    > microsoft
    > office and told them the story and all i get was (sorry we can not help
    > you)
    > so i told the lady who answered me this means that i should go to any
    > market
    > and get a $3.00 version of windows xp and i am realy sorry to say the
    > answer
    > was yessssssssssssssssss.
    >
    > so now i think microsoft should not be so unhappy about how many people
    > use
    > unofficail versions of there os, as it is our right to get it in any lang
    > we
    > want chinese. indian, Russian english as long as we pay

    "ike223" <ike223@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was 98SE since that
    > date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i don't get what i
    > am
    > paying for, and after almost 6 years useing unoffical versions of
    > microsoft i
    > saied ok it is time to give it a try again, i baught a new notebook which
    > comes with Russian xp and i say it is ok i can call and ask to get it in
    > English as i understood i paied for that windows too, so i called
    > microsoft
    > office and told them the story and all i get was (sorry we can not help
    > you)
    > so i told the lady who answered me this means that i should go to any
    > market
    > and get a $3.00 version of windows xp and i am realy sorry to say the
    > answer
    > was yessssssssssssssssss.
    >
    > so now i think microsoft should not be so unhappy about how many people
    > use
    > unofficail versions of there os, as it is our right to get it in any lang
    > we
    > want chinese. indian, Russian english as long as we pay

    If the laptop came preinstalled with the Russian version of Windows XP it is
    what is called an OEM version. You need to speak to the laptop
    builder/manufacturer (Original Equipment Manufacturer - OEM) to get them to
    swap out your Russian XP for an English one. They may charge you for this
    or may refuse to do it. If they refuse then you will have to purchase a new
    copy of Windows XP in English for your machine.
    This is an issue between you and the OEM.
    You do have the right to buy the OS in any language you wish and there are
    many places on the Internet that will sell you these - however if you get
    Windwos pre installed then you must make the right purchasing decision when
    you buy the device from the OEM.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
    > "ike223" <ike223@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was 98SE
    >> since that date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i
    >> don't get what i am
    >> paying for, and after almost 6 years useing unoffical versions of
    >> microsoft i
    >> saied ok it is time to give it a try again, i baught a new notebook
    >> which comes with Russian xp and i say it is ok i can call and ask to
    >> get it in English as i understood i paied for that windows too, so i
    >> called microsoft
    >> office and told them the story and all i get was (sorry we can not
    >> help you)
    >> so i told the lady who answered me this means that i should go to any
    >> market
    >> and get a $3.00 version of windows xp and i am realy sorry to say the
    >> answer
    >> was yessssssssssssssssss.
    >>
    >> so now i think microsoft should not be so unhappy about how many
    >> people use
    >> unofficail versions of there os, as it is our right to get it in any
    >> lang we
    >> want chinese. indian, Russian english as long as we pay
    >
    > If the laptop came preinstalled with the Russian version of Windows
    > XP it is what is called an OEM version. You need to speak to the
    > laptop builder/manufacturer (Original Equipment Manufacturer - OEM)
    > to get them to swap out your Russian XP for an English one. They may
    > charge you for this or may refuse to do it. If they refuse then you
    > will have to purchase a new copy of Windows XP in English for your
    > machine. This is an issue between you and the OEM.
    > You do have the right to buy the OS in any language you wish and
    > there are many places on the Internet that will sell you these -
    > however if you get Windwos pre installed then you must make the right
    > purchasing decision when you buy the device from the OEM.

    Dealing with all the ways your company screws with consumers, buying a
    $3 copy of software is worth it.

    Ya'll piss off people with all your acane and arbitrary rules. That's a
    real good way to push consumers away from your products.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    "ike223" <ike223@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was 98SE since that
    > date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i don't get what i
    > am
    > paying for,

    Why do you think you're not getting what you're paying for?

    If you don't like Microsoft's products why not use a different OS - Linux
    for example - or other different ones if it's Office or other Microsoft
    programs? You don't have to use Microsoft you know. But it sounds like you
    are just having a whinge.

    Rob Graham

    Thanks you all for your great answers, well mostly i understood one thing is
    that i got to get a new version of wxinxp, only this well make things work
    out.
    thanks

    In article <22E268B5-DE71-4C9A-8054-452832DF6CE4@microsoft.com>, ike223
    @discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > Hi all
    >
    > well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was 98SE since that
    > date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i don't get what i am
    > paying for, and after almost 6 years useing unoffical versions of microsoft i
    > saied ok it is time to give it a try again, i baught a new notebook which
    > comes with Russian xp and i say it is ok i can call and ask to get it in
    > English as i understood i paied for that windows too, so i called microsoft
    > office and told them the story and all i get was (sorry we can not help you)
    > so i told the lady who answered me this means that i should go to any market
    > and get a $3.00 version of windows xp and i am realy sorry to say the answer
    > was yessssssssssssssssss.

    You bought a New Notebook computer that had Windows "OEM" software
    installed - OEM software is supported by the company you purchased it
    from, not Microsoft. If you want Microsoft support you have to purchase
    a "RETAIL" version of Microsoft products - OEM products are supported by
    the vendors that sell you the products.

    > so now i think microsoft should not be so unhappy about how many people use
    > unofficail versions of there os, as it is our right to get it in any lang we
    > want chinese. indian, Russian english as long as we pay

    You have never had a "Right to steal", stealing is a choice that you
    make based on some means to rationalize your choice to commit theft.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:31:15 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

    >In article <22E268B5-DE71-4C9A-8054-452832DF6CE4@microsoft.com>, ike223
    >@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was 98SE since that
    >> date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i don't get what i am
    >> paying for, and after almost 6 years useing unoffical versions of microsoft i
    >> saied ok it is time to give it a try again, i baught a new notebook which
    >> comes with Russian xp and i say it is ok i can call and ask to get it in
    >> English as i understood i paied for that windows too, so i called microsoft
    >> office and told them the story and all i get was (sorry we can not help you)
    >> so i told the lady who answered me this means that i should go to any market
    >> and get a $3.00 version of windows xp and i am realy sorry to say the answer
    >> was yessssssssssssssssss.
    >
    >You bought a New Notebook computer that had Windows "OEM" software
    >installed - OEM software is supported by the company you purchased it
    >from, not Microsoft. If you want Microsoft support you have to purchase
    >a "RETAIL" version of Microsoft products - OEM products are supported by
    >the vendors that sell you the products.
    >
    >> so now i think microsoft should not be so unhappy about how many people use
    >> unofficail versions of there os, as it is our right to get it in any lang we
    >> want chinese. indian, Russian english as long as we pay
    >
    >You have never had a "Right to steal", stealing is a choice that you
    >make based on some means to rationalize your choice to commit theft.

    But of course, where the infrastructure is basically lawless and
    ruthless, what is a thief? Somehow, I think that Russian citizens
    just don't make judgements such as "yours, mine, theirs", since they
    have never been taught to possess things legally. For 75 years, they
    have been programmed to use the blackmarket, since the other markets
    are controlled by their Government, which claimed to own EVERYTHING
    and EVERYONE. Russia is currently much like our American Wild West
    was during the 19th century, ruled by the gun and fear, rather than
    law.

    Don't be so hard in your judgement of Russian Citizens. Instead, find
    fault with the "strong men" in control of their economy.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread.
    If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
    from my email address before sending.

    The "Old West" in America was ruled by law. Hollywood
    movies gave the impression that there was a gunfight every
    night and that murder was normal. The fact is that law was
    supported in Dodge City and elsewhere. It is true that
    citizens had and used guns to enforce law and secure their
    safety when sworn law enforcement officers were not present,
    just like New Orleans today.

    some support

    In article <bo0ph1hb3oiv2bbu1o13a1vlbq0bc4ddch@4ax.com>,
    invalid@invalid.com says...
    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:31:15 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <22E268B5-DE71-4C9A-8054-452832DF6CE4@microsoft.com>, ike223
    > >@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > >> Hi all
    > >>
    > >> well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was 98SE since that
    > >> date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i don't get what i am
    > >> paying for, and after almost 6 years useing unoffical versions of microsoft i
    > >> saied ok it is time to give it a try again, i baught a new notebook which
    > >> comes with Russian xp and i say it is ok i can call and ask to get it in
    > >> English as i understood i paied for that windows too, so i called microsoft
    > >> office and told them the story and all i get was (sorry we can not help you)
    > >> so i told the lady who answered me this means that i should go to any market
    > >> and get a $3.00 version of windows xp and i am realy sorry to say the answer
    > >> was yessssssssssssssssss.
    > >
    > >You bought a New Notebook computer that had Windows "OEM" software
    > >installed - OEM software is supported by the company you purchased it
    > >from, not Microsoft. If you want Microsoft support you have to purchase
    > >a "RETAIL" version of Microsoft products - OEM products are supported by
    > >the vendors that sell you the products.
    > >
    > >> so now i think microsoft should not be so unhappy about how many people use
    > >> unofficail versions of there os, as it is our right to get it in any lang we
    > >> want chinese. indian, Russian english as long as we pay
    > >
    > >You have never had a "Right to steal", stealing is a choice that you
    > >make based on some means to rationalize your choice to commit theft.
    > >

    > But of course, where the infrastructure is basically lawless and
    > ruthless, what is a thief? Somehow, I think that Russian citizens
    > just don't make judgements such as "yours, mine, theirs", since they
    > have never been taught to possess things legally. For 75 years, they
    > have been programmed to use the blackmarket, since the other markets
    > are controlled by their Government, which claimed to own EVERYTHING
    > and EVERYONE. Russia is currently much like our American Wild West
    > was during the 19th century, ruled by the gun and fear, rather than
    > law.
    >
    > Don't be so hard in your judgement of Russian Citizens. Instead, find
    > fault with the "strong men" in control of their economy.

    If the OP, who knows it theft, already has an understanding that it's
    wrong, but, just wants to rant a justification for it - how can you
    suggest that the OP doesn't understand the difference when they clearly
    stated they do?

    --

    > Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
    >> "ike223" <ike223@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> well let me start, te last version of windows i baught was 98SE
    >>> since that date i stoped buying software from microsoft as i felt i
    >>> don't get what i am
    >>> paying for, and after almost 6 years useing unoffical versions of
    >>> microsoft i
    >>> saied ok it is time to give it a try again, i baught a new notebook
    >>> which comes with Russian xp and i say it is ok i can call and ask to
    >>> get it in English as i understood i paied for that windows too, so i
    >>> called microsoft
    >>> office and told them the story and all i get was (sorry we can not
    >>> help you)
    >>> so i told the lady who answered me this means that i should go to any
    >>> market
    >>> and get a $3.00 version of windows xp and i am realy sorry to say the
    >>> answer
    >>> was yessssssssssssssssss.
    >>>
    >>> so now i think microsoft should not be so unhappy about how many
    >>> people use
    >>> unofficail versions of there os, as it is our right to get it in any
    >>> lang we
    >>> want chinese. indian, Russian english as long as we pay
    >>
    >> If the laptop came preinstalled with the Russian version of Windows
    >> XP it is what is called an OEM version. You need to speak to the
    >> laptop builder/manufacturer (Original Equipment Manufacturer - OEM)
    >> to get them to swap out your Russian XP for an English one. They may
    >> charge you for this or may refuse to do it. If they refuse then you
    >> will have to purchase a new copy of Windows XP in English for your
    >> machine. This is an issue between you and the OEM.
    >> You do have the right to buy the OS in any language you wish and
    >> there are many places on the Internet that will sell you these -
    >> however if you get Windwos pre installed then you must make the right
    >> purchasing decision when you buy the device from the OEM.
    >
    > Dealing with all the ways your company screws with consumers, buying a $3
    > copy of software is worth it.
    >
    > Ya'll piss off people with all your acane and arbitrary rules. That's a
    > real good way to push consumers away from your products.

    Kurt, This is a simple OEM issue.
    For example if you by a car from a dealer in red and then decide you wanted
    it in blue do you expect the manufacturer to respray it for no charge ? Of
    course not - you the customer are expected to be able to purchase the
    product you actually want and if you have an issue with your purchase you go
    back to the dealer (the OEM) to resolve this.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote

    > Kurt, This is a simple OEM issue.
    > For example if you by a car from a dealer in red and then decide you
    > wanted it in blue do you expect the manufacturer to respray it for no
    > charge ? Of course not - you the customer are expected to be able to
    > purchase the product you actually want and if you have an issue with your
    > purchase you go back to the dealer (the OEM) to resolve this.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    Are you admitting that Windows XP is a product and not a licence?

    Alias

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote
    >

    >> Kurt, This is a simple OEM issue.
    >> For example if you by a car from a dealer in red and then decide you
    >> wanted it in blue do you expect the manufacturer to respray it for no
    >> charge ? Of course not - you the customer are expected to be able to
    >> purchase the product you actually want and if you have an issue with your
    >> purchase you go back to the dealer (the OEM) to resolve this.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Mike
    >> --
    >> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]
    >
    > Are you admitting that Windows XP is a product and not a licence?
    >
    > Alias

    No - why would you think that.
    (I used the car analogy as a simple example of the concept of OEMs, I could
    have chosen another one but what would be the point)
    This is still just an OEM issue.

    You and Kurt seem determined to try and make this some sort of big deal.
    The buyer should have bought the PC with the appropriate software/license as
    required.
    He did not, so he needs to rectify his purchase with the vendor - the OEM.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    : You wrote and I quote:
    :
    : "Of course not - you the customer are expected to be able
    to purchase the
    : ***product*** you actually want and if you have an issue
    with your purchase
    : you go back to the dealer (the OEM) to resolve this."

    The ****product*** was the laptop, not the software or OS
    installed included with it.

    Mike Mueller wrote:
    >> You wrote and I quote:
    >>
    >> "Of course not - you the customer are expected to be able to
    >> purchase the ***product*** you actually want and if you have an
    >> issue with your purchase you go back to the dealer (the OEM) to
    >> resolve this."
    >
    > The ****product*** was the laptop, not the software or OS
    > installed included with it.

    The "product" would either be the entire bundle purchased, including
    peripherals, OS, and software, or each individual item would be a
    "product" unto itself.

    --

    "Mike Mueller" <MyName@ecinet.net.net> wrote in message
    >: You wrote and I quote:
    > :
    > : "Of course not - you the customer are expected to be able
    > to purchase the
    > : ***product*** you actually want and if you have an issue
    > with your purchase
    > : you go back to the dealer (the OEM) to resolve this."
    >
    > The ****product*** was the laptop, not the software or OS
    > installed included with it.

    The OS was a part of the product. The OS was not charged for separately and
    there was no separate receipt.

    > "Mike Mueller" <MyName@ecinet.net.net> wrote in message
    >>: You wrote and I quote:
    >> :
    >> : "Of course not - you the customer are expected to be able
    >> to purchase the
    >> : ***product*** you actually want and if you have an issue
    >> with your purchase
    >> : you go back to the dealer (the OEM) to resolve this."
    >>
    >> The ****product*** was the laptop, not the software or OS
    >> installed included with it.
    >
    > The OS was a part of the product. The OS was not charged for separately
    > and there was no separate receipt.

    Was the graphics card, screen, power cable and other elements charged for
    separately and delivered under separate receipts, or did you simply buy a
    complete unit, hardware, software et al?

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "Mike Mueller" <MyName@ecinet.net.net> wrote in message
    >>: You wrote and I quote:
    >> :
    >> : "Of course not - you the customer are expected to be able
    >> to purchase the
    >> : ***product*** you actually want and if you have an issue
    >> with your purchase
    >> : you go back to the dealer (the OEM) to resolve this."
    >>
    >> The ****product*** was the laptop, not the software or OS
    >> installed included with it.
    >
    > The OS was a part of the product. The OS was not charged for separately
    > and there was no separate receipt.

    Exactly - so the user bought an incorrect product from the OEM so must
    return to the OEM to rectify this product issue. Since as you say the OS
    (its license) is sold by the OEM as part of the product like the GPU, memory
    or any other components.

    I am not going to get drawn into so discussion on the semantics of the use
    of the word product - but from an generla end user perspective he bought an
    entire laptop that does not meet his requirements - so the seller is the one
    to rectify this for him - not us. As I have already said this is just an
    OEM issue with the ordered configuration of the device.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "Mike Mueller" <MyName@ecinet.net.net> wrote in message
    >>: You wrote and I quote:
    >> :
    >> : "Of course not - you the customer are expected to be able
    >> to purchase the
    >> : ***product*** you actually want and if you have an issue
    >> with your purchase
    >> : you go back to the dealer (the OEM) to resolve this."
    >>
    >> The ****product*** was the laptop, not the software or OS
    >> installed included with it.
    >
    > The OS was a part of the product. The OS was not charged for separately
    > and there was no separate receipt.
    >
    > Alias

Microsoft Windows XP