Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot SSD anymore - BSOD

Last response: in Windows 7
November 18, 2012 2:40:35 AM

Hi there,

I have a decent PC (i7 2600, 16gb ram, SSD + 2HDDs, etc). I've been using it for about a year.

Since it's a work machine, in the last few weeks, I've been using VMware on it to use other experimental software, with no problems.

Today, I tried to create a new VM and the software asked me to update it to a new version. I did it, create new VM and rebooted to change a config in the Bios (about virtualization). But when I tried to boot again, surprise: BSOD.

STOP: 0x0000007b, (0xFFFFF880009a9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

When I got back to the BIOS, I found the boot order to be different. I fixed it but no good. I disconnected the other HDDs and all I got was a different boot error message. I plugged the SSD in another machine and it worked fine, so I guess it must be a MBR problem.

Anyone has a input on how I could fix this, please?

Thank you!

More about : boot ssd anymore bsod

a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2012 4:35:23 AM

Hi, Check the SATA settings. Was it AHCI or IDE before updatng the BIOS?
m
l
November 18, 2012 4:40:12 AM

Didn't change these options, it's AHCI.

I tried to use the bootrec /bcdrebuild option, but it doesn't recognize a WIndows Installation.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2012 4:45:53 AM

Try setting it to IDE and test. Or if it as AHCI and now it's IDE, change to AHCI.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2012 4:53:52 AM

there are a few options to explore:

since you mentioned the boot order was changed looked through the BIOS that no other setting was changed. (but i suspect you have done this)

also when connected to the functioning computer; disable VMware service from starting then see if you can boot with it from the problematic rig.

you can also see if your SSD has up to date firmware; the VMware service may have tripped a needed update.

edit: that error code is for an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE something is making the SSD controller not make nice with the BIOS.
m
l
November 18, 2012 11:28:34 AM

alexoiu, I've changed to IDE and I continue to get a BSOD. I suspect it was AHCI before.

looniam, I don't see any other changes. I've restored to the default anyway and the problem persists.

You said to connect to the functioning computer... how? I can't boot this machine in any way.

I can use the WIndows Repair tools, but it can't repair automatically. When in prompt, I can use bootedit and bootrec tools, but when I use bootrec /bcdrebuild, it fails to identify an existent Windows installation. Even when I rename/delete the bcd file.
m
l
November 18, 2012 11:57:38 AM

Your SSD may have died, rare but it happens. Try pulling it out and connect to another computer, either with a usb enclosure or directly to SATA. If the other pc can read it I would check it with hdtune.
m
l
November 18, 2012 12:01:01 PM

If it was AHCI before, then you changed it to IDE, now you need to change it again to AHCI.
m
l
November 18, 2012 12:04:48 PM

zdbc13, it's not dead, I tested it in another PC and it worked fine. Also, I can browse by the folders using the prompt in Windows Recovery mode.

jemm, I've returned it to AHCI.

I'm not sure but it looks very much to me to be a MBR/BCD problem. Does anyone has some input on this?
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2012 3:08:36 PM

fabricioz said:

You said to connect to the functioning computer... how? I can't boot this machine in any way.

well didn't you
Quote:
I plugged the SSD in another machine and it worked fine
m
l
November 18, 2012 3:16:08 PM

tried another SATA controller on the computer ? - mobo┬┤s have two SATA controllers - or just another port ?
m
l
November 18, 2012 3:23:38 PM

Sometimes it is better to go for a fresh OS installation! :) 
m
l
November 18, 2012 4:15:20 PM

Hi people,

Thanks, I solved it.

I turned off the other HDDs and then I didn't get the BSOD anymore but a MBR error message and I couldn't use the windows repair tool automatically anymore. I had to boot by the windows disk.

This way, the rebuildbcd command found the installation but it couldn't repair. After I used the DISKPART command to set the disk active, it worked. I managed to use the repair tool to fix the boot. I still got another BSOD but when I tried to boot again, in the boot menu, I chose "use last valid configuration" and it worked.

But Windows seems a little weird now, the start menu doesn't show the items in the left part and I can't edit the taskbar configurations. But what the hell.
m
l
!