Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

27" Gaming Monitors ... NEED MAJOR HELP!!!

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
December 1, 2010 8:46:44 PM

I have been looking to purchase a good 27" gaming panel for about 2 months now. Either I am extremely picky or I want the best of the best on a budget (which I don't think exists lol).

I have researched several different 27" monitors which are all listed below but they each have so many positive and negative reviews in equal amounts that it's hard to tell what consumers / gamers such as ourselves would find to be "good". I have also noticed that there is a huge gap in monitors that it's hard to pick the best of the best. You either have to go with a high end IPS panel and get stuck with a high MS and empty pockets or go for a lower end TN panel and get stuck with crappy colors. /end rant

Anyways, I know I'm just a newbie in this forum but any help would be greatly appreciated ... specially if anybody has used any of the below mentioned monitors. I think more than anything what I would love to hear from someone here is whether they have used the monitors below for gaming/World of Warcraft which is what I spend most of my time on.

My budget is $300.00 - $500.00. As much as I would like to get the Dell U2711 I simply cannot afford it. With that in mind ... my monitor is only going to be used for gaming and maybe 5% movies ... I never play nor view at an angle so the bad viewing angles on a TN panel don't really concern me. The problem with the monitors below is that they all seem to have a lot of the same features but are very different at the same time:

HP 2710m

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So it's contrast ratio is 60k:1 and the static (I think thats what it's called) is 1k:1. This monitor seems the best out of the bunch because of it's 92% color gamut and the glossy screen they say seem to make colors pop out more.

Asus VE278Q

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This monitor has mixed reviews due to not producing that great of colors but then it does boast a 10m:1 dynamic contrast ratio but they say that what counts is the static ... and this monitor doesn't advertise the static ratio ANYWHERE. :(  The same thing applies for the VE276q which is the same as this monitor but it's LCD instead of LED which I've heard has some backlight bleed issues.

Viewsonic VX2739wm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This monitor boasts a 1ms response time but we all know that it's not true. It does have a 1200:1 static ratio which is supposedly good right ??? I don't know ... this is also the cheapest monitor of the bunch.

Samsung H / FH

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-P2770H-27-Inch-Widescreen...

Both great monitors and Samsung has never failed me for TV's but does anybody have any gaming experience with either one?


Any input on each monitor would really help. I am looking to get my monitor sometime this week hopefully to be able to enjoy Cataclysm on a High-def 27" panel instead of my 19".

-Thanks (sorry for the long post)

P.S.

Yes I am picky but maybe it would help to know that I am coming from a 19" flat panel 1440x990 monitor that I have never really had an complaints about.

P.S.S

Help me decide ! lol

More about : gaming monitors major

December 2, 2010 3:14:03 PM

Bump bump ...

Hopefully someone can reply because I wanted to pull the trigger on a monitor today.

Thanks :D 
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
December 2, 2010 5:25:09 PM

I would go for the HP 2710m, it has higher quality backlights than the any of the other panels.

I have seen the Viewsonic, I don't like it. My friend has the Samsung P2770, the colors are good but I think you can get better with the HP.

I don't know about that Asus monitor but I find most monitors from Asus have undersaturated colors.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 2, 2010 6:42:53 PM

Thanks for the reply Waffle ... I also thought that the HP2710m was the best of the bunch, but does anybody have any gaming experience with any of the monitors mentioned ???
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 2:13:21 PM

Nostradamuz77 said:
I have been looking to purchase a good 27" gaming panel for about 2 months now. Either I am extremely picky or I want the best of the best on a budget (which I don't think exists lol).

I have researched several different 27" monitors which are all listed below but they each have so many positive and negative reviews in equal amounts that it's hard to tell what consumers / gamers such as ourselves would find to be "good". I have also noticed that there is a huge gap in monitors that it's hard to pick the best of the best. You either have to go with a high end IPS panel and get stuck with a high MS and empty pockets or go for a lower end TN panel and get stuck with crappy colors. /end rant

Anyways, I know I'm just a newbie in this forum but any help would be greatly appreciated ... specially if anybody has used any of the below mentioned monitors. I think more than anything what I would love to hear from someone here is whether they have used the monitors below for gaming/World of Warcraft which is what I spend most of my time on.

My budget is $300.00 - $500.00. As much as I would like to get the Dell U2711 I simply cannot afford it. With that in mind ... my monitor is only going to be used for gaming and maybe 5% movies ... I never play nor view at an angle so the bad viewing angles on a TN panel don't really concern me. The problem with the monitors below is that they all seem to have a lot of the same features but are very different at the same time:

HP 2710m

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So it's contrast ratio is 60k:1 and the static (I think thats what it's called) is 1k:1. This monitor seems the best out of the bunch because of it's 92% color gamut and the glossy screen they say seem to make colors pop out more.

Asus VE278Q

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This monitor has mixed reviews due to not producing that great of colors but then it does boast a 10m:1 dynamic contrast ratio but they say that what counts is the static ... and this monitor doesn't advertise the static ratio ANYWHERE. :(  The same thing applies for the VE276q which is the same as this monitor but it's LCD instead of LED which I've heard has some backlight bleed issues.

Viewsonic VX2739wm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This monitor boasts a 1ms response time but we all know that it's not true. It does have a 1200:1 static ratio which is supposedly good right ??? I don't know ... this is also the cheapest monitor of the bunch.

Samsung H / FH

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-P2770H-27-Inch-Widescreen...

Both great monitors and Samsung has never failed me for TV's but does anybody have any gaming experience with either one?


Any input on each monitor would really help. I am looking to get my monitor sometime this week hopefully to be able to enjoy Cataclysm on a High-def 27" panel instead of my 19".

-Thanks (sorry for the long post)

P.S.

Yes I am picky but maybe it would help to know that I am coming from a 19" flat panel 1440x990 monitor that I have never really had an complaints about.

P.S.S

Help me decide ! lol



I, too, was looking for a 27 inch monitor. Bigger is Better, right? I decided to go the try and test and return method. I spent a week with all the monitors you mentioned and returned them all.

They were OK for gaming but, literally, a pain in the neck for general use.

However, if I were to keep one I would go with the Asus VE 278Q.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1546485&highlight...


m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2010 3:09:00 PM

I've had my eye on the NewEgg one with 1ms response. I'm curious when new models will be coming and if anyone knows what to expect though. I'd really like to see a 120hz 27" LCD/LED with 1ms response. 27" doesn't seem to be a very popular size though. :( 

One of my main purposes would be for Xbox360 gaming.
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 7:53:30 PM

Don't buy the Viewsonic with 1ms response. It can't be played at that speed. They have 3 speeds "Fast"- Faster and Fastest. Fastest gives a blur. All reviews say to keep it at faster.

1ms is just a gimmick. If you really want a 27 inch. Go for the Asus. It was the best.

http://www.digitalversus.com/asus-ve278q-p357_10137_150...
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2010 12:05:57 AM

The difference between 1ms and 2ms is absolutely nothing. You may think 100% difference but not at all.

Grey is a very shady color. A panel can't respond the same for all shades of grey but manufacturers only advertise the shade of grey the panel can respond the fastest. Despite advertising 1ms or 0.01ms, that is only for one particular tone of grey. The actual average grey to grey response time for overdriven TN panels is usually 3ms - 4ms.

Viewsonic monitors that are 1ms have really heavier response time compensation. The blur you see is really response time compensation artifacts. Something common on all TN panels.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2010 4:02:32 AM

lancelot48 said:
Don't buy the Viewsonic with 1ms response. It can't be played at that speed. They have 3 speeds "Fast"- Faster and Fastest. Fastest gives a blur. All reviews say to keep it at faster.

1ms is just a gimmick. If you really want a 27 inch. Go for the Asus. It was the best.

http://www.digitalversus.com/asus-ve278q-p357_10137_150...


I dunno. Some of the posts in a thread linked by someone else above didn't make it seem all that appealing. I also had an Asus motherboard I really disliked. I never would've thought of them as a first choice for LCD brands. My current is an Acer, and I have a 50" Samsung. That's sort of why I was considering the Samsung. There don't seem to be many options in this size though. Samsung only does the 1ms and I think a 5ms model. Screw 5ms.

Edit: Woah. There's a 28" Hanns-G that's actually 16:10. Interesting. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
December 5, 2010 8:17:00 PM

Have you checked out the Benq xl2410 120Hz LED gaming monitor? I am on the same quest for the absolute best monitor, and keep coming back to it. It was just released in Europe, and is supposed to receive a wider release in the US later in December, but can be had for 469 from BenQ's site. I'm not sure if that is too much, as I haven't seen enough hard reviews on it yet:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/benq-intros-23-inch-...
http://apcmag.com/first-look-the-benq-xl2410t-.htm
m
0
l
December 6, 2010 2:56:53 PM

djfp said:
Have you checked out the Benq xl2410 120Hz LED gaming monitor? I am on the same quest for the absolute best monitor, and keep coming back to it. It was just released in Europe, and is supposed to receive a wider release in the US later in December, but can be had for 469 from BenQ's site. I'm not sure if that is too much, as I haven't seen enough hard reviews on it yet:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/benq-intros-23-inch-...
http://apcmag.com/first-look-the-benq-xl2410t-.htm


Too small. :p 

(Yes, anonymous was me too. Forgot about this older account.)
m
0
l
December 6, 2010 3:52:13 PM

lancelot48 said:
I, too, was looking for a 27 inch monitor. Bigger is Better, right? I decided to go the try and test and return method. I spent a week with all the monitors you mentioned and returned them all.

They were OK for gaming but, literally, a pain in the neck for general use.


So ergonomics would be way better on a 24" screen, due to angles of view (left to right etc) and/or screen placement?

Does response time matter that much for gaming? I suppose 5ms would give you a slight motion blur, but can you normally even notice that? And in any case 5ms is a rather short time if we talk about human vision and reaction time. Just a few years back proper gaming LCDs used to be 20ms or so... right?
m
0
l
December 6, 2010 10:10:40 PM

Anyone have experience with the BenQ M2700HD? Doesn't seem to be available on Amazon or the BenQ site at the moment.
m
0
l
December 8, 2010 8:02:48 PM

lancelot48 said:
I, too, was looking for a 27 inch monitor. Bigger is Better, right? I decided to go the try and test and return method. I spent a week with all the monitors you mentioned and returned them all.

They were OK for gaming but, literally, a pain in the neck for general use.

However, if I were to keep one I would go with the Asus VE 278Q.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1546485&highlight...




What monitor size/model did you end up going with?
m
0
l
December 8, 2010 11:24:49 PM

Well, I ended up ordering a Hanns-G 28". I should have it tomorrow. :) 
m
0
l
December 9, 2010 2:03:01 AM

I almost gave in to ordering a Hanns-G 28". I quickly realized that the price was too good to be true and reconsidered. Also you may want to read the warranty on the monitor. Hanns-G is notorious for having 3Yr parts and labor but only 1 Yr panel.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 195 C Monitor
December 9, 2010 4:21:52 AM

nfuzer said:
I almost gave in to ordering a Hanns-G 28". I quickly realized that the price was too good to be true and reconsidered. Also you may want to read the warranty on the monitor. Hanns-G is notorious for having 3Yr parts and labor but only 1 Yr panel.


Not to mention low build quality. There's a reason why they are inexpensive. I guess it's not too bad if you don't mind buying a new monitor every year or two.
m
0
l
December 9, 2010 5:27:00 AM

jaguarskx said:
Not to mention low build quality. There's a reason why they are inexpensive. I guess it's not too bad if you don't mind buying a new monitor every year or two.


How are they any less expensive? They're all $300-$350. The Samsung, Asus, Viewsonic, etc. I heard Samsung stuff dies fast now because they've been using cheap caps from taiwan or some ***. I figured it was time to try something different and nobody was stocking the damn BenQ. Plus, the Hanns-G was one of the few 16:10 models I saw.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 195 C Monitor
December 9, 2010 4:46:06 PM

Hanns-G basically is notorious for having a poor quality for their entire product line. At least Samsung, and Viewsonic have a reputation for making good quality monitors. Asus does make good value monitors, but keep costs down buy using an excessive amount of plastic.

However, going "too large" for a low price generally means low overall quality regardless of the brand. In the $300 - $350 range I would only go with 24" monitors and I can't really recommend any 1920 x 1200 monitors in that range either.

I generally do not scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to monitors. The only time I did was when I bought the 24" 1920 x 1080 Asus VK246H since I was looking to add a display to my HTPC to monitor some processes for around 4 hours a week; now down to about 4 hours a month.

Since the monitor is the one product that I "use and see" all the time, I generally spend $$$ - $$$$ for a monitor that meets my needs. It seems most people prefer to spend more money on their video cards than on their monitors.
m
0
l
December 9, 2010 6:16:32 PM

Well, none of the options seem great anymore, and quality control seems non-existent these days no matter where you look. Why drop a grand on something now that should be half that by the time the cheap one dies? I probably would've tried a BenQ had they been in stock anywhere, but I've been itching to go bigger and I didn't want to risk anything going up in price after xmas. If it lasts me a couple years, it's worth it. I hope to get some cash set aside to go with something high end next time, but what exactly is high end these days? I've seen mention of a few stupid expensive HP/Dell displays, but I'm not about to buy from them. Who makes good stuff at this point? The only thing NewEgg stocks in this size are the half dozen models previously discussed here. My Acer 24" has lasted me 3 years for the $300 I spent on it at the time, and I run it all day every day. My only complaint about it is the stupid menus you have to go through to switch inputs. Is an INPUT button really too much to ask for!?
m
0
l
December 9, 2010 6:53:44 PM

I'm not familiar with gaming on computers but I know on game consoles plasma is usually the "best" way to go. I say "best" just in the sense more people prefer them because of the better refresh rates, fewer problems with ghosting etc. (of course depending on models) but I know the LCD screens have just as many Pros to them as well, which resulted in me going back and forth on which to choose. Are these Pros and Cons similar in computer monitors or are plasma monitors just not there in the sense of performance?
m
0
l
!