Hi I posted this before but no one had an answer so rang computer manufacture
and they said "you need a new hard drive "

Is this the case?
heres the original problem

PENT 4 3.2 200G H/D
Reinstalled xp + service pack 2
updated all drivers
everything works ok except

On switch on or reboot before windows comes up there is a black screen with
a set of white bars along bottom of screen these bars fill up white and the
computer loads up ok .
Thus the reboot time takes ages , during this "white bar" stage the hard
drive seems to be reformatting or checking itself.
it takes about 8 mins every reboot.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO STOP THIS?

You have already, downloaded and run the hard drive manufacturers drive test
utility, right? They all have one. What did the test tell you?

I also suggest you go here
http://www.lavalys.hu/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en and download their
system information program called Everest HOME Edition. It is free. After
you install it, start the program. In the left Window, go to Storage and
then Smart. Look at the S.M.A.R.T. listings. Are there any abnormalities
shown? If so, get a new drive.

But, even if this says that your drive is OK - if the manufacturer
themselves said the drive was bad, I would tend to believe them.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"bluehawk" <bluehawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I posted this before but no one had an answer so rang computer
> manufacture
> and they said "you need a new hard drive "
>
> Is this the case?
> heres the original problem
>
> PENT 4 3.2 200G H/D
> Reinstalled xp + service pack 2
> updated all drivers
> everything works ok except
>
> On switch on or reboot before windows comes up there is a black screen
> with
> a set of white bars along bottom of screen these bars fill up white and
> the
> computer loads up ok .
> Thus the reboot time takes ages , during this "white bar" stage the hard
> drive seems to be reformatting or checking itself.
> it takes about 8 mins every reboot.
>
> DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO STOP THIS?

Thanks I will try that
The manufatures hard drive test I looked at but you had to load it onto
floppy (A drive) and my pc doesnt have one theres no option to save it to cd.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> You have already, downloaded and run the hard drive manufacturers drive test
> utility, right? They all have one. What did the test tell you?
>
> I also suggest you go here
> http://www.lavalys.hu/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en and download their
> system information program called Everest HOME Edition. It is free. After
> you install it, start the program. In the left Window, go to Storage and
> then Smart. Look at the S.M.A.R.T. listings. Are there any abnormalities
> shown? If so, get a new drive.
>
> But, even if this says that your drive is OK - if the manufacturer
> themselves said the drive was bad, I would tend to believe them.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "bluehawk" <bluehawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi I posted this before but no one had an answer so rang computer
> > manufacture
> > and they said "you need a new hard drive "
> >
> > Is this the case?
> > heres the original problem
> >
> > PENT 4 3.2 200G H/D
> > Reinstalled xp + service pack 2
> > updated all drivers
> > everything works ok except
> >
> > On switch on or reboot before windows comes up there is a black screen
> > with
> > a set of white bars along bottom of screen these bars fill up white and
> > the
> > computer loads up ok .
> > Thus the reboot time takes ages , during this "white bar" stage the hard
> > drive seems to be reformatting or checking itself.
> > it takes about 8 mins every reboot.
> >
> > DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO STOP THIS?

Malke

bluehawk wrote:

> Thanks I will try that
> The manufatures hard drive test I looked at but you had to load it
> onto floppy (A drive) and my pc doesnt have one theres no option to
> save it to cd.

Check to see if that hard drive mftr. has a utility that will create a
bootable cd. If not, use Seagate's SeaTools and create a bootable cd.
Naturally, you will need to do this on a working pc that has
third-party burning software.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke
got to be honest i dont understand what you are saying
thanks

"Malke" wrote:

> bluehawk wrote:
>
> > Thanks I will try that
> > The manufatures hard drive test I looked at but you had to load it
> > onto floppy (A drive) and my pc doesnt have one theres no option to
> > save it to cd.
>
> Check to see if that hard drive mftr. has a utility that will create a
> bootable cd. If not, use Seagate's SeaTools and create a bootable cd.
> Naturally, you will need to do this on a working pc that has
> third-party burning software.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Bluehawk,

try Start > Run > type or copy & paste Sfc /Revert and click OK, reboot.
Still happening?

Drew

"bluehawk" <bluehawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I posted this before but no one had an answer so rang computer
> manufacture
> and they said "you need a new hard drive "
>
> Is this the case?
> heres the original problem
>
> PENT 4 3.2 200G H/D
> Reinstalled xp + service pack 2
> updated all drivers
> everything works ok except
>
> On switch on or reboot before windows comes up there is a black screen
> with
> a set of white bars along bottom of screen these bars fill up white and
> the
> computer loads up ok .
> Thus the reboot time takes ages , during this "white bar" stage the hard
> drive seems to be reformatting or checking itself.
> it takes about 8 mins every reboot.
>
> DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO STOP THIS?

tried that drew still no joy
the hard disk moves as though its being formatted

"Drew Tognola" wrote:

> Bluehawk,
>
> try Start > Run > type or copy & paste Sfc /Revert and click OK, reboot.
> Still happening?
>
> Drew
>
> "bluehawk" <bluehawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi I posted this before but no one had an answer so rang computer
> > manufacture
> > and they said "you need a new hard drive "
> >
> > Is this the case?
> > heres the original problem
> >
> > PENT 4 3.2 200G H/D
> > Reinstalled xp + service pack 2
> > updated all drivers
> > everything works ok except
> >
> > On switch on or reboot before windows comes up there is a black screen
> > with
> > a set of white bars along bottom of screen these bars fill up white and
> > the
> > computer loads up ok .
> > Thus the reboot time takes ages , during this "white bar" stage the hard
> > drive seems to be reformatting or checking itself.
> > it takes about 8 mins every reboot.
> >
> > DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO STOP THIS?

If the drive was being formatted, it would be empty.

> tried that drew still no joy
> the hard disk moves as though its being formatted
>
> "Drew Tognola" wrote:
>
>> Bluehawk,
>>
>> try Start > Run > type or copy & paste Sfc /Revert and click OK, reboot.
>> Still happening?
>>
>> Drew
>>
>> "bluehawk" <bluehawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi I posted this before but no one had an answer so rang computer
>> > manufacture
>> > and they said "you need a new hard drive "
>> >
>> > Is this the case?
>> > heres the original problem
>> >
>> > PENT 4 3.2 200G H/D
>> > Reinstalled xp + service pack 2
>> > updated all drivers
>> > everything works ok except
>> >
>> > On switch on or reboot before windows comes up there is a black screen
>> > with
>> > a set of white bars along bottom of screen these bars fill up white and
>> > the
>> > computer loads up ok .
>> > Thus the reboot time takes ages , during this "white bar" stage the
>> > hard
>> > drive seems to be reformatting or checking itself.
>> > it takes about 8 mins every reboot.
>> >
>> > DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO STOP THIS?

yes i know it acts like its being formatted but of course isnt.