[SOLVED] SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

no he means that data from the hard drive would load faster, web page loading is primarily based on your internet connection, and if it is not good then getting an SSD will not help in almost anyway shape or form (unless the data is cached to the disk and it is still valid), same goes for the cpu, having a better one will not help not to mention its not like you can upgrade from Core 2 Duo to Core i5 as they are different sockets and would mean getting a new laptop

v1zzle

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
You can't go wrong with Intel's X25's (latest generation). Most SSD's are really improving now due to their firmware updates. Most of them use the Sandforce controller. I personnaly have a Mushkin drive and a OCZ. I would say go for the new OCZ vertex 3 series. And don't be fooled by the read/write speed, you would be surprised what the "actual" speeds are. I use a program that "benchmarks" your Hard drive - any drive of the matter, SSD, or HDD, called HDtune. For example, my Mushkin drive says it reads at 285 Mbps and writes at 275Mbps. It actually only reads at 230 max. And the write speed, forget about it, cause you'll never know. On a side note, don't disk defrag your SSD too much, say once a year, maybe twice. Anyway happy SSD hunting :)

Cheers!

If you only have SATA II - Go for a SF12xx controller SSD, ie Vertex-2, Phoenix Pro, couple of others. Keep in mind the SATA - II models represent a Hugh jump in performance and the price is starting to come down, do to introduction of SATA III versions.

If You have Sata-III, or for near term future proof go for one of the SATA III models (cost vs performance may or may not justify).

Couple of comment:
SF12xx controller SSDs are faster than Intel's Sata, But Intel's SSD is more reliable.
Sata - III SSDs. Intel has deviated from past models in that the 510 uses a 3rd party controller, Marvel. while a good SSD performance wise, it 4 K random read/writes are not that great - slower than some SATA- II SSDs The SF2xxx controllers are faster and probably a better buy in terms of performance.

Side comments, OCZ may not be the better choice interms of reliability - just my felling bested on a couple of articals.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I just got a 2010 Mac Book pro 13 inch 1 month ago. My connection where I live is not good. Would this SSD help me or not? thanks mf

no he means that data from the hard drive would load faster, web page loading is primarily based on your internet connection, and if it is not good then getting an SSD will not help in almost anyway shape or form (unless the data is cached to the disk and it is still valid), same goes for the cpu, having a better one will not help not to mention its not like you can upgrade from Core 2 Duo to Core i5 as they are different sockets and would mean getting a new laptop

Solution

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What would you suggest? My connection here is 3.04 mps download speed.SSD you men is a waste of my money than? thanks

If you are happy with Boot time and how fast programs load, then Yes the SSD would not be cost effective. On other advantage to SSDs is that many of them are lower power than mechanical HDDs when active (about the same when inactive). This could provide a small increase in how long you can operate when on battery.

The only way you can improve internet connection is (1) switch providers, (2) I f provider has a layered service and you can switch to a faster service, @ an INCREASED cost.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks for your answer.cannot switch providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.