What's the story on Content.IE5?

September 5, 2005 6:57:22 PM

I've been trying to unravel a mystery (concerning embedded MP3 and WMA
files in PowerPoint and Word docs, but that's another story). In the
course of that I stumbled across this puzzle. One application I was
using (my music player) referred me to a file that was in a folder
like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5\083A8GIF

I tried to use Windows Explorer to find that but was surprised that I
couldn't do so. I gather these 'Content.IE5' folders are hidden. But
why? And how would I find the files they contain?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

More about : story content ie5

September 5, 2005 6:57:23 PM

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
news:D bjoh1hktrans2e7hh5o55tiria1drmqc0@4ax.com...
> I've been trying to unravel a mystery (concerning embedded MP3 and WMA
> files in PowerPoint and Word docs, but that's another story). In the
> course of that I stumbled across this puzzle. One application I was
> using (my music player) referred me to a file that was in a folder
> like this:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files\Content.IE5\083A8GIF
>
> I tried to use Windows Explorer to find that but was surprised that I
> couldn't do so. I gather these 'Content.IE5' folders are hidden. But
> why? And how would I find the files they contain?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

While in Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, and then the View
tab. Under "Hidden files and folders" check the button that states "Show
hidden files and folders".
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 6:57:23 PM

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> I've been trying to unravel a mystery (concerning embedded
> MP3 and WMA files in PowerPoint and Word docs, but that's
> another story). In the course of that I stumbled across this
> puzzle. One application I was using (my music player)
> referred me to a file that was in a folder like this:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local
> Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\083A8GIF
>
> I tried to use Windows Explorer to find that but was
> surprised that I couldn't do so. I gather these
> 'Content.IE5' folders are hidden. But why? And how would I
> find the files they contain?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Here's what works for me:

1. Go to Start -> Run and enter the following in the Open box
and click OK;

C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

2. Open a command prompt window (Start -> Run -> cmd.exe).
Navigate to the Content.IE5 folder and use the dir /a command
to view the contents.

3. Log on with another account that is a computer administrator
and view the contents.

Nepatsfan
September 5, 2005 6:57:23 PM

Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Click OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D bjoh1hktrans2e7hh5o55tiria1drmqc0@4ax.com,
Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> hunted and pecked:
> I've been trying to unravel a mystery (concerning embedded MP3 and WMA
> files in PowerPoint and Word docs, but that's another story). In the
> course of that I stumbled across this puzzle. One application I was
> using (my music player) referred me to a file that was in a folder
> like this:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files\Content.IE5\083A8GIF
>
> I tried to use Windows Explorer to find that but was surprised that I
> couldn't do so. I gather these 'Content.IE5' folders are hidden. But
> why? And how would I find the files they contain?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
September 5, 2005 6:57:24 PM

BR549 wrote:

> "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> news:D bjoh1hktrans2e7hh5o55tiria1drmqc0@4ax.com...
>
>>I've been trying to unravel a mystery (concerning embedded MP3 and WMA
>>files in PowerPoint and Word docs, but that's another story). In the
>>course of that I stumbled across this puzzle. One application I was
>>using (my music player) referred me to a file that was in a folder
>>like this:
>>
>>C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary
>>Internet Files\Content.IE5\083A8GIF
>>
>>I tried to use Windows Explorer to find that but was surprised that I
>>couldn't do so. I gather these 'Content.IE5' folders are hidden. But
>>why? And how would I find the files they contain?
>>
>>--
>>Terry, West Sussex, UK
>

> While in Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, and then the View
> tab. Under "Hidden files and folders" check the button that states "Show
> hidden files and folders".

That still won't show it. Content.IE5 is still hidden.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
news:D bjoh1hktrans2e7hh5o55tiria1drmqc0@4ax.com...
> I've been trying to unravel a mystery (concerning embedded MP3 and WMA
> files in PowerPoint and Word docs, but that's another story). In the
> course of that I stumbled across this puzzle. One application I was
> using (my music player) referred me to a file that was in a folder
> like this:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files\Content.IE5\083A8GIF
>
> I tried to use Windows Explorer to find that but was surprised that I
> couldn't do so. I gather these 'Content.IE5' folders are hidden. But
> why? And how would I find the files they contain?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
Hi
Don't worry it is only a "reference" to a file that you were probably
playing from the Net
Most of these file are deleted when you empty your temp internet cache
Chas
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 5:00:02 PM

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>Start | Run | Paste this in the box:
>
>%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>
>Click OK.

Thanks, Wesley. Found your recommendation last night, in a post you
made elsewhere some time ago. In fact that's the only way I've found
so far of viewing this strange folder.

BTW, puzzled by those (here and elsewhere) who say that viewing TIF
itself (the standard Explorer folder) will show content of Content.IE5
too. Not here it doesn't. Should it?

Here's a screenshot showing both Content.IE5 obtained as above, and
the 'normal' view of TIF:

http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/TIF-Contents1...

You can't see, but there are *no* subfolders in the latter. Almost all
seem to be Cookies. (BTW, why are they too not deleted when you do a
'Delete All'?)

Also, ETO36HQ9 just contains one file (an unimportant JPG I haven't
used for a couple of days) and the other subfolder is empty.

And, to add another aspect of the puzzle, those screenshots were taken
immediately after opening IE6 and using Tools>Internet Options an
deleting all files *and* all offline files! (Maybe a reboot is needed
as a follow-up?)

Before emptying TIF, there were about 8 subfolders; I didn't check all
their contents, but they were an odd mix of stuff. None of it looked
worthy of secret hiding!

All very strange..

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous

Hi Terry,

Smoke and mirrors.

Content.IE5 does not appear in Widows Explorer, you have to know where it is
and sneak up on it.

From your screen shot...

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
which translates to
C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files
has no subfolders.

What are all of those 107....../ files? Are these from Forte Agent? What
are those icons by the 107 files? Looks like some kind of Notepad. A
notepad replacement maybe?

ETO36HQ9 and GD6Z0LAN are subfolders in Content.IE5.

Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Help and Support and other programs use
Temporary Internet Files for storing temp files. No telling what else was
storing files there. Forte Agent maybe? Was that still open when you
cleaned the TIFs?

%homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
directory.

Typing or pasting %homepath% into the Start | Run box opens to the Documents
and Settings folder on whatever drive it is located on and the logged in
user.

I.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell

%homepath% is also shorter than C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell
It is certainly shorter than C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel. ;-)

To view:
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | Click OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
General tab | Settings button | View Files button

Or...

Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Click OK.

To view:
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5 AND \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program).

Start | Run | Type: cleanmgr | Click OK | Highlight Temporary Internet
Files |
View Files button

Or...

Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |

You will probably have to click the Folders button on the Tool Bar.
Click: [+] Temporary Internet Files
Click: [+] Content.IE5
Click: Random named folders
Look at stuff
You can also view Content.MSO

Or...

Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Click OK.
You can also view Content.MSO

Or...
Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.MSO

Click OK.

Smoke and mirrors.

Create a shortcut to %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:p 31rh15e5urqu4vrpplk0bvtgeauh6l7ef@4ax.com,
Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> hunted and pecked:
> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Start | Run | Paste this in the box:
>>
>> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>>
>> Click OK.
>
> Thanks, Wesley. Found your recommendation last night, in a post you
> made elsewhere some time ago. In fact that's the only way I've found
> so far of viewing this strange folder.
>
> BTW, puzzled by those (here and elsewhere) who say that viewing TIF
> itself (the standard Explorer folder) will show content of Content.IE5
> too. Not here it doesn't. Should it?
>
> Here's a screenshot showing both Content.IE5 obtained as above, and
> the 'normal' view of TIF:
>
> http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/TIF-Contents1...
>
> You can't see, but there are *no* subfolders in the latter. Almost all
> seem to be Cookies. (BTW, why are they too not deleted when you do a
> 'Delete All'?)
>
> Also, ETO36HQ9 just contains one file (an unimportant JPG I haven't
> used for a couple of days) and the other subfolder is empty.
>
> And, to add another aspect of the puzzle, those screenshots were taken
> immediately after opening IE6 and using Tools>Internet Options an
> deleting all files *and* all offline files! (Maybe a reboot is needed
> as a follow-up?)
>
> Before emptying TIF, there were about 8 subfolders; I didn't check all
> their contents, but they were an odd mix of stuff. None of it looked
> worthy of secret hiding!
>
> All very strange..
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:42:44 PM

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hi Terry,
>
>Who's Ed?

Sorry! Rattled off two replies in quick succession - guess I can
expect a similar reply from Ed shortly, asking 'Who's Wesley?' <g>

>107....../ files are cookies. OK. I delete all cookies.

Hmm, all of them. And daily I see from your later comment. That gives
me more food for thought.

I see I have 1,371 of them, with no easy way of sorting wheat from
chaff. I'll re-check, but I think my regular Spybot scans report a
small proportion of these as 'Trivial', and I usually ignore. I've
always assumed that 99% of them are not only unharmful but positively
add some value by eliminating need to re-enter stuff like usernames,
etc. I suppose I need a refresher on this subject... Your summary
below is a good start, thank you.

>As with anything involving Temporary Internet Files, this gets confusing.
>
>The "cookies" in the Temporary Internet Files Folder are just pointers to
>the real cookies, like a shortcut.
>
>Real cookies are stored here >>
>%homepath%\Cookies
>or
>C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Cookies
>
>The Delete Cookies button deletes the cookies here >>
>%homepath%\Cookies
>or
>C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Cookies
>
>But it also deletes the pointers to the real cookies here >>
>%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
>or
>C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
>Files
>
>If you manually delete a cookie file from the Temporary Internet Files
>folder, both the pointer to the Cookies folder and the cookie file located
>in the Cookies folder are deleted.
>
>If you delete a cookie from the cookies folder it leaves the pointer to the
>cookie behind. But it's worthless. Just like a shortcut that does not
>point to anything.
>
>Example.
>C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
>Files\Cookie:wesley p. vogel@download.com/
>
>Properties of Cookie:wesley p. vogel@download.com/ shows this; Cache name:
>wesley p. vogel@download[1].txt
>
>The real cookie is here...
>C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\Cookies\wesley p.
>vogel@download[1].txt
>-----
>
>2.35MB is huge for an index.dat file.

1,371 cookies!

> [...]

>settings you have set, you have to sneak up on it.
>
>According to PA Bear and Frank Saunders, "Smoke and mirrors."
>
>The index.dat & desktop.ini files are the smoke generators.
>
>Temporary Internet Files folder is a Virtual Folder and a Namespace object.
>Has something to do with being a shell folder with its own GUID. I don't
>understand half of this. Anyway, moving along.
>
>Temporary Internet Files folders are Special Folders, like My Documents, My
>Music, My Computer, Recycle Bin, et cetera. Part of what makes them special
>is the GUID or Globally Unique Identifier. These are found in the registry,
>where the GUID is the identifier for the special folder. They are found
>here: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID. The GUID for Temporary Internet Files is
>{7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}.
>
>Part of this is because of the desktop.ini file.
>
>Most Temporary Internet Files folders are Hidden and classified as system
>files. They are hidden from Windows Explorer and Search. The device used
>to hide them is the desktop.ini file. The desktop.ini signals that they are
>system files, hidden and if deleted, they are recreated on the next boot.
>To find them, you have to discover them by accident or know where to look.
>
>The Desktop.ini file is a text file that specifies how a file system folder
>will be viewed and handled.
>
>Some info on Desktop.ini files pieced together from many sources...
>
>File system folders are commonly displayed with a standard icon and set of
>properties, which specify, for instance, whether or not the folder is
>shared. The Desktop.ini file is a text file that specifies how a file
>system folder will be viewed and handled. The most common use of the
>Desktop.ini file is to assign a custom icon to a folder.
>
>The desktop.ini can have info that lists the folder as a system file, hidden
>and if deleted, it is recreated on the next boot. The desktop.ini can also
>have info like a UICLSID line that hides the folder in Windows Explorer. And
>a CLSID line that disables the Search utility from searching through the
>folder.
>
>Also the folder name info can be listed in the desktop.ini. For example,
>the folder Shared Documents becomes just Documents if you remove the
>desktop.ini.
>
>Desktop.ini for Content.IE5:
>[.ShellClassInfo]
>UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}
>
>Desktop.ini for History.IE5:
>[.ShellClassInfo]
>UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}
>CLSID={FF393560-C2A7-11CF-BFF4-444553540000}
>
>The UICLSID line hides the folder in Windows Explorer. The CLSID line
>disables the Search utility from searching through the folder.
>
>If you delete the desktop.ini then the folders are no longer special and
>become visible. However, they will be recreated at next boot. You can fool
>Windows by editing the desktop.ini leaving only the [.ShellClassInfo] line.

I've always been very cavalier about any Desktop.ini files I
encounter, deleting them casually! Maybe *too* cavalier?

>I have to put all this info into one document one day. :-)

Great post, thanks. Duly filed, as I will undoubtedly need to refer to
it again.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous

Say Hi to Ed for me.

I doubt very much that you have any need for 1,371 cookies. Unless you own
a dairy. ;-)

How to Manage Cookies in Internet Explorer 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;283185

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2ltvh11ka95rik2919jic7ev0j2cb938ib@4ax.com,
> [...]
>> [.ShellClassInfo]
>> UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}
>>
>> Desktop.ini for History.IE5:
>> [.ShellClassInfo]
>> UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}
>> CLSID={FF393560-C2A7-11CF-BFF4-444553540000}
>>
>> The UICLSID line hides the folder in Windows Explorer. The CLSID line
>> disables the Search utility from searching through the folder.
>>
>> If you delete the desktop.ini then the folders are no longer special and
>> become visible. However, they will be recreated at next boot. You can
>> fool Windows by editing the desktop.ini leaving only the
>> [.ShellClassInfo] line.
>
> I've always been very cavalier about any Desktop.ini files I
> encounter, deleting them casually! Maybe *too* cavalier?
>

>> I have to put all this info into one document one day. :-)
>
> Great post, thanks. Duly filed, as I will undoubtedly need to refer to

September 4, 2012 4:06:06 PM

Free Commander worked like a charm. It found hidden folders that did not even appear in the command prompt when trying to get to the path. The way I found out there were hidden folders along with the visible folders in "Content.IE5" was when I opened a PPT file from an email and then hit save. I could see in the status bar that it was saving the file in a folder under Content.IE5 that was not even showing up in the DOS command line. So, I figured there would be additional hidden folders, and I was right. Free Commander found them, and inside of one of the hidden folders I found the Word doc I "lost" by opening it from an email, editing it and then hitting save, before closing Word.
!