installation problem

i have installation problem with windows NT based like windows XP, windows
2000, windows ME. i have system Pentium III 667MHZ and Quantum Fireball Hard
Drive 30 GB. as the setup reaches Saving Settings my system halts and i have
to turn its power offf and then turn it on after a while.
please help me about this problem as i m running Windows 98 and i want to
use a NT based window.

Try a bare-bones install of XP. That means removing all but the most
necessary cards and see if that helps. XP has been known to have some
trouble with certain older hardware especially NICs or modems. If you can
get it installed then you add the hardware back and see if you can isolate
the problem.

Also try a hard drive diagnostic tool for your make of hard drive. The
manufacture (e.g. Maxtor, etc.) should have one for download. There is a
possibility that your hard drive has bad sectors which can account for
problems of this nature.

BTW Windows Me is not an NT based OS.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]