Windows 7 freezing upon installation

Nov 18, 2012
So here's the problem;
I had built myself a pc, installed win7 (full version) with no problems, and the computer worked for about 40-50 days untill the HDD failed. I headed out, got a good Western Digital HDD and installed the device. I set up the new HDD to be the boot drive (which is what I did with the previous drive) and resetted my PC. When it turned back on, it promted me to install a boot disk, which I did and it loads the windows files and gets past the "Starting Windows" screen with the glowing logo, but gets stuck on the blue wallpaper-ish background screen; the cursor is existing on screen and can move, but has nothing to click on. I tried waiting, and ended up wasting away an hour and 10 minutes. :L I tried reducing the amount RAM, deactivating USB devices; all giving the same results. I eventually got impatiant and opened the disk drive while on the blue screen and as soon as the disk stopped spinning, the selection screen opened. I clicked next and got to the device select screen, but was greeted with a window telling me to insert the boot disk, so I closed the disk drive with disk and it started to read then once again, froze.

I don't know what to do or how to fix and am in need of help.

My computers specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4
RAM: 8gb (2x4)
GPU: EVGA GTX 550 ti
Motherbord: ECS A780LM-M2
*new HDD: WD CAVIAR red 1TB

A huge thank you and a cookie for everyone and anyone that helps! :

Normally you should select the DVD drive 1st in Boot order when installing Windows, and only revert to HDD once installation complete. Try again with DVD set 1st, and if you can get to the sreen 'Where do you want to install Windows' use the Drive options to format your HDD and start afresh. If problems persist consider checking for hardware issues, starting with RAM, run with 1 stick at a time. Also check HDD cables, and bear in mind it's not impossible to recieve a new HDD with bad sectors...