Any Ghost 2003 users here?

September 5, 2005 8:38:55 PM

Hi Ng, I have a question.

Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,? In
windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are grayed
out.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

More about : ghost 2003 users

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:38:56 PM

You can not restore the Windows System partition while you are using the
system. You "must" restore the system partition by booting from the Ghost
2003 floppy. If you only have one partition on your computers hard drive,
this will be the case every time you want to restore.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Werner Bartz" <jacesto66@internet.lu> wrote in message
news:o TF5NeisFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi Ng, I have a question.
>
> Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,?
> In windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are
> grayed out.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:38:56 PM

In article <OTF5NeisFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jacesto66
@internet.lu says...
> Hi Ng, I have a question.
>
> Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,? In
> windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are grayed
> out.

I don't know of any software that runs IN windows that allows you to
make a perfect image of the boot drive while it's in use.

The DOS boot methods means that nothing on the drive to be cloned is in
Use.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

From: "Werner Bartz" <jacesto66@internet.lu>

| Hi Ng, I have a question.
|
| Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,? In
| windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are grayed
| out.
|
| Is this normal?
|
| Thanks!

How about a Symantec News Group such as; symantec.customerservice.general

Afterall Ghost is NOT a MS product, it is from Symantec.

The reason you boot of a DOS disk is that the OS on the hard didk is NOT running there fore
100% of the files and Ghost image is restore to the hard disk. Same as creating an image.
Running the OS means open File Handles and they can't be copied/imaged properly and thus by
booting off a DOS disk you eliminate the any OS File Handles from being held open by the OS
on the hard disk.

Just do a image to hard didk restoration.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Check here but be prepared to do some reading http://ghost.radified.com/

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Werner Bartz" <jacesto66@internet.lu> wrote in message
news:o TF5NeisFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi Ng, I have a question.
>
> Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,?
> In windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are
> grayed out.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:38:56 PM

Leythos wrote:

> Are you suggesting that Drive Image 7, runs under Windows and makes a
> "Perfect" image of the entire disk without missing any files that are
> "in-use"?

Quite apart from the fact that the OP asked about RESTORING from
Windows, True Image 8, and I believe Ghost 9 (not to be confused with
Ghost 2003) enable you to make backups from Windows. This includes
backups of the system partition. It works.
September 5, 2005 8:38:57 PM

Leythos wrote:

> In article <OTF5NeisFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jacesto66
> @internet.lu says...
>
>>Hi Ng, I have a question.
>>
>>Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,? In
>>windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are grayed
>>out.
>

> I don't know of any software that runs IN windows that allows you to
> make a perfect image of the boot drive while it's in use.
>
> The DOS boot methods means that nothing on the drive to be cloned is in
> Use.

Drive Image 7.0 does.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

From: "bxf" <bill@topman.net>

| Leythos wrote:
|
>> Are you suggesting that Drive Image 7, runs under Windows and makes a
>> "Perfect" image of the entire disk without missing any files that are
>> "in-use"?
|
| Quite apart from the fact that the OP asked about RESTORING from
| Windows, True Image 8, and I believe Ghost 9 (not to be confused with
| Ghost 2003) enable you to make backups from Windows. This includes
| backups of the system partition. It works.

Ghost 2003 as well. But that is a backup, not a 100% image.

BTW: Ghost v9 includes Ghost 2003.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:10:27 PM

I have 2 HDD's, one the first one is my operating system and another
partition called P.
The 2nd HDD is only for back up's, it has no partitions.

I wanted to restore an image file from my backup HDD to the partition called
P on the 1st HDD
This didn't work in windows, because the partition P was grayed out, this
normal?
Thanks

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:uLRUijisFHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> You can not restore the Windows System partition while you are using the
> system. You "must" restore the system partition by booting from the Ghost
> 2003 floppy. If you only have one partition on your computers hard drive,
> this will be the case every time you want to restore.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Werner Bartz" <jacesto66@internet.lu> wrote in message
> news:o TF5NeisFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Ng, I have a question.
>>
>> Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,?
>> In windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are
>> grayed out.
>>
>> Is this normal?
>>
>> Thanks!

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:10:28 PM

From: "Werner Bartz" <jacesto66@internet.lu>

| I have 2 HDD's, one the first one is my operating system and another
| partition called P.
| The 2nd HDD is only for back up's, it has no partitions.
|
| I wanted to restore an image file from my backup HDD to the partition called
| P on the 1st HDD
| This didn't work in windows, because the partition P was grayed out, this
| normal?
| Thanks

The 2cnd hard disk *must* have at least one partition and high level formatted or you can
NOT store image files as backups on that drive in the first place.

Are you trying to restore a file from an image or the complete image of the hard didk ?

If you want to restore a file form an image you do so in Windows and the Ghost Explorer
utility is to extract a file (or files) from GHO/GHS file which is the image.

If you want to retore the entire image to a hard disk you boot off a DOS based Ghost Boot
Disk and open the image on the 2cnd hard disk and restoire the image to the first hard disk.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:57:22 PM

In article <O9zOUBksFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
says...
> Leythos wrote:
>
> > In article <OTF5NeisFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jacesto66
> > @internet.lu says...
> >
> >>Hi Ng, I have a question.
> >>
> >>Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,? In
> >>windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are grayed
> >>out.
> >

> > I don't know of any software that runs IN windows that allows you to
> > make a perfect image of the boot drive while it's in use.
> >
> > The DOS boot methods means that nothing on the drive to be cloned is in
> > Use.
> >

> Drive Image 7.0 does.

Are you suggesting that Drive Image 7, runs under Windows and makes a
"Perfect" image of the entire disk without missing any files that are
"in-use"?

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:57:23 PM

From: "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan>

| Are you suggesting that Drive Image 7, runs under Windows and makes a
| "Perfect" image of the entire disk without missing any files that are
| "in-use"?
|
| --
|
| spam999free@rrohio.com
| remove 999 in order to email me

Exactly. If the File Handle is inuse and held open by the OS, you can't change its
attributes, rename it or copy it.

I for one would certainly entertain hearing if and how Drive Image can handle this issue
within a running OS.

--

Leythos wrote:

> In article <O9zOUBksFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
> says...
>
>>Leythos wrote:
>>

>>>In article <OTF5NeisFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jacesto66
>>>@internet.lu says...

>>>I don't know of any software that runs IN windows that allows you to
>>>make a perfect image of the boot drive while it's in use.
>>>
>>>The DOS boot methods means that nothing on the drive to be cloned is in
>>>Use.
>>>

>>Drive Image 7.0 does.
>

> Are you suggesting that Drive Image 7, runs under Windows and makes a
> "Perfect" image of the entire disk without missing any files that are
> "in-use"?

Yes, it will "hot" image. I do it all the time.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>
>

> | Yes, it will "hot" image. I do it all the time.
> |
> | --
> | Rock
> | MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
> Please define and elaborate how it handles open File Handles.

I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
windows makes a exact image of the drive.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>
>
> | I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
> | windows makes a exact image of the drive.
> |
> | --
> | Rock
> | MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
> No offense but... I need that info in order for me to change my POV.

I can't answer that for you. I don't know how it does it, other than it
does work.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

In article <1125945256.582208.27910@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
bill@topman.net says...
> Quite apart from the fact that the OP asked about RESTORING from
> Windows, True Image 8, and I believe Ghost 9 (not to be confused with
> Ghost 2003) enable you to make backups from Windows. This includes
> backups of the system partition. It works.

Take a blank drive, then restore you backup to it, not everything will
be there.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:36:31 PM

Using Drive Image 7.01 and now Ghost 9 I can create an image of the Windows
system partition within Windows - as I am actively working the news groups.
The news group messages are kept on partition D:. I can then reboot with the
Partition Magic floppies and format my Windows Partition. Then, rebooting
using the Ghost 9 CD I restore the Windows partition - exactly as it was.

I have done this many dozens of times with Ghost 9 and with Drive Image
7.01. Believe me when I state that everything is there.

I can not vouch for True Image.

--

> In article <1125945256.582208.27910@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> bill@topman.net says...
>> Quite apart from the fact that the OP asked about RESTORING from
>> Windows, True Image 8, and I believe Ghost 9 (not to be confused with
>> Ghost 2003) enable you to make backups from Windows. This includes
>> backups of the system partition. It works.
>
> Take a blank drive, then restore you backup to it, not everything will
> be there.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:44:38 PM

In article <OOKplDlsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
says...
> David H. Lipman wrote:
>
> > From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>
> >

> > | Yes, it will "hot" image. I do it all the time.
> > |
> > | --
> > | Rock
> > | MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >
> > Please define and elaborate how it handles open File Handles.
> >

> I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
> windows makes a exact image of the drive.

I've never seen any program running INSIDE windows OS (XP/2003) that can
make copies of Locked files. Sure, I've seen some that can wait, some
that can read Open files, but, I'm willing to bet that it won't make
"perfect" image of the drive.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:51:22 PM

In article <#fXG6IlsFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
> Using Drive Image 7.01 and now Ghost 9 I can create an image of the Windows
> system partition within Windows - as I am actively working the news groups.
> The news group messages are kept on partition D:. I can then reboot with the
> Partition Magic floppies and format my Windows Partition. Then, rebooting
> using the Ghost 9 CD I restore the Windows partition - exactly as it was.
>
> I have done this many dozens of times with Ghost 9 and with Drive Image
> 7.01. Believe me when I state that everything is there.
>
> I can not vouch for True Image.

I have the same feature on my Ghost 2003 package, to make images inside
Windows while not booting to DOS, but, it does not make copies of locked
files. Since we run MS SQL DE on every desktop here in the office, it
would not make a backup of any of the database files during it's backup
- which is normal and what I expect from a package that clones drives.

Computer Associates makes a HA service that will monitor Drive Access a
the lowest of levels and then copy that information to another server -
so it's a hot spare, but it doesn't work like Ghost does.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:47:41 AM

On Monday 05 September 2005 12:44 pm, Leythos had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> In article <OOKplDlsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
> says...
>> David H. Lipman wrote:
>>
>> > From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>

>> > Please define and elaborate how it handles open File Handles.
>> >

>> I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
>> windows makes a exact image of the drive.
>
> I've never seen any program running INSIDE windows OS (XP/2003) that can
> make copies of Locked files. Sure, I've seen some that can wait, some
> that can read Open files, but, I'm willing to bet that it won't make
> "perfect" image of the drive.

Have you used Acronis True Image 8.0? No problems with images created with
this program. I also use Acronis True Image Server 4 Linux and backup my
Linux boxes while running the OS either over the network or to an external
USB2 drive.

--
I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.

In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
> On Monday 05 September 2005 12:44 pm, Leythos had this to say in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
> > In article <OOKplDlsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
> > says...

> >> I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
> >> windows makes a exact image of the drive.
> >
> > I've never seen any program running INSIDE windows OS (XP/2003) that can
> > make copies of Locked files. Sure, I've seen some that can wait, some
> > that can read Open files, but, I'm willing to bet that it won't make
> > "perfect" image of the drive.
> >

> Have you used Acronis True Image 8.0? No problems with images created with
> this program. I also use Acronis True Image Server 4 Linux and backup my
> Linux boxes while running the OS either over the network or to an external
> USB2 drive.

No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
and did version 9.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:48:30 AM

On Monday 05 September 2005 07:05 pm, Leythos had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
>> On Monday 05 September 2005 12:44 pm, Leythos had this to say in
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>>
>> > In article <OOKplDlsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
>> > says...

>> > I've never seen any program running INSIDE windows OS (XP/2003) that
>> > can make copies of Locked files. Sure, I've seen some that can wait,
>> > some that can read Open files, but, I'm willing to bet that it won't
>> > make "perfect" image of the drive.
>> >

>> Have you used Acronis True Image 8.0? No problems with images created
>> with this program. I also use Acronis True Image Server 4 Linux and
>> backup my Linux boxes while running the OS either over the network or to
>> an external USB2 drive.
>
> No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
> and did version 9.

Symantec bought what? I don't think we're talking about the same product
here.

--
I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:54:22 AM

In article <2s7Te.101026$Hk.58250@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
> On Monday 05 September 2005 07:05 pm, Leythos had this to say in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
> > In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
> >> On Monday 05 September 2005 12:44 pm, Leythos had this to say in
> >> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> >> Have you used Acronis True Image 8.0? No problems with images created
> >> with this program. I also use Acronis True Image Server 4 Linux and
> >> backup my Linux boxes while running the OS either over the network or to
> >> an external USB2 drive.
> >
> > No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
> > and did version 9.
> >
> Symantec bought what? I don't think we're talking about the same product
> here.

Sorry, I remember that Symantec bought something and is calling it the
New Ghost, I could have mistaken the name.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:54:23 AM

Leythos wrote:
> In article <2s7Te.101026$Hk.58250@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
>
>>On Monday 05 September 2005 07:05 pm, Leythos had this to say in
>>microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>>

>>>In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...

>>>No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
>>>and did version 9.
>>>

>>Symantec bought what? I don't think we're talking about the same product
>>here.
>

> Sorry, I remember that Symantec bought something and is calling it the
> New Ghost, I could have mistaken the name.

Twas PowerQuest DriveImage. And they turned it into junk!

shaka
September 6, 2005 6:54:23 AM

Enough already. Go to this site:
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/featu...
Here's info from there:

Key Features

NEW! “Hot imaging” lets you create backup images without restarting Windows®. *

NEW! Incremental backup updates save time and disk space.*

NEW! Scheduled backups automatically keep your backup image up to date.*

Backs up everything on a hard drive or partition.

Works with a wide range of hard drives and removable media, including CDR/RW and
DVD+-R/RW drives, USB and FireWire® (IEEE 1394) devices, and Iomega® Zip® and
Jaz® drives.

Restores data from images created with PowerQuest™ Drive Image™ 7.0 and previous
versions of Norton Ghost.*

Symantec Recovery Disk lets you restore data from a backup image even when the
computer can’t start up into Windows.

LiveUpdate™ keeps Norton Ghost updated automatically over the Internet.

Norton Ghost 2003 is included to back up and restore data to: Windows 9x, Me,
NT; Linux®; and DOS systems.
*This feature is not available with Norton Ghost 2003.

Leythos wrote:

> In article <2s7Te.101026$Hk.58250@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
>
>>On Monday 05 September 2005 07:05 pm, Leythos had this to say in
>>microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>>

>>>In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...

>>>No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
>>>and did version 9.
>>>

>>Symantec bought what? I don't think we're talking about the same product
>>here.
>

> Sorry, I remember that Symantec bought something and is calling it the
> New Ghost, I could have mistaken the name.

Symantec bought out Powerquest, the makers of Drive Image. Their
version 7 technology has been incorporated into Ghost 9.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Try "Image for Windows" from
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html

Does what you want, reliably.

JWD

Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
>> On Monday 05 September 2005 12:44 pm, Leythos had this to say in
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>>
>> > In article <OOKplDlsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
>> > says...

>> > I've never seen any program running INSIDE windows OS (XP/2003) that can
>> > make copies of Locked files. Sure, I've seen some that can wait, some
>> > that can read Open files, but, I'm willing to bet that it won't make
>> > "perfect" image of the drive.
>> >

>> Have you used Acronis True Image 8.0? No problems with images created with
>> this program. I also use Acronis True Image Server 4 Linux and backup my
>> Linux boxes while running the OS either over the network or to an external
>> USB2 drive.
>
>No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
>and did version 9.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 11:48:00 AM

Hi David,

This likely applies to PowerQuest Drive Image 7.01 and Norton Ghost 9, as
well as Acronis True Image 8. It's an interesting read that may explain what
you are wanting to know.

FROM ACRONIS (TRUE IMAGE)

See:
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/resource/tech-talk/20...
for complete article.

Typically, Windows applications cannot copy the system partition because
they are unable to copy open files. In cases where the user's hard disk is
partitioned only as one drive, that meant the user could not image their
system at all from within Windows. If the disk is large enough, it could
mean that the user is out of commission for hours at a time while the
program chugged away at creating an image.

Acronis overcomes this issue of coping open Windows files by effectively
freezing a moment of time. A special filter driver layers between file
system drivers and volume drivers, allowing the software to create and
backup consistent views of all files, including open files. The driver is
installed above the volume drivers so it can see all the read and write
requests passing to a volume - or partition.

When the IT manager or user initiates imaging of the hard disk drive
containing the system volume, the filter driver flushes the file system
mounted to that volume; then all the operations on the system volume are
temporarily frozen. Immediately thereafter, the filter driver creates a
point-in-time view of the system volume and a bitmap describing the used
sectors on this volume. Once the bitmap is created, the filter driver
unfreezes the I/O operations on the system volume. It generally takes just
several seconds to create a point-in-time view of the volume. After that,
the operating system continues working as usual and the software can start
imaging of the system volume.

Acronis True Image reads the sectors on the system volume according to the
created bitmap. Once a sector is read, the appropriate bit in the bitmap is
reset. In its turn, the filter driver continues working to hold the
point-in-time view of the system volume. Whenever the filter driver sees a
write operation directed at the system volume, it checks whether these
sectors are not backed-up yet, if they are not, the filter driver reads a
copy of the sectors that will be overwritten into a special buffer created
by the software, then it allows the sectors to be overwritten. Acronis True
Image backups the sectors from the special buffer so that all the sectors of
the point-in-time view of the system volume will be backed-up intact.
Meanwhile, the operating system continues working and the user will not
notice anything unusual in their operating system functionality.

Since Windows XP supports the Universal Disk Format (UDF) file system,
Acronis True Image can take advantage of this file system and create images
via the UDF. Once the file system is mounted in the read/write mode, the
software detects it and writes the image to a file created on this file
system. If the UDF is not available in the operating system, then the backup
software will burn the image directly to blank CDs. All of the popular
imaging applications have at least some support for writing to CDs -
although the DOS-based applications might not have support for the latest
CD-RW devices. However, only programs that can call Windows-based drivers
can write to DVD drives.

All products have to reboot the imaged system in order to restore an image.
Again, many of the popular products reboot to DOS, just as they did when
they imaged the disk in the first place. Acronis True Image, however,
reboots into a customized version of Linux and presents the user with a
Windows-like interface. By booting to Linux, the software is able to support
the latest storage devices, such as CD-RW and writable DVD devices. After
all, it wouldn't make much sense to save the image to DVD if the software
couldn't restore it from it as well.

To give you an idea of the capacity differences between CD and DVD
technology, popular CD-R disks today boast 700MB of capacity. A DVD-18 drive
(double-sided/double-layered) supports 16GB, or nearly 23 times more
capacity than the poplar blank CDs today. That's an extremely significant
difference when you need to image a large disk and do not want multiple
disks per volume.

The advanced technology in leading-edge imaging products work is not how
they create a partition, but rather, how they image the disk. As noted
above, the Acronis offering takes a bitmapped image of the disk while still
in Windows and then monitors subsequent write operations. As files are
written or updated, those portions of the disk are re-imaged so that a
complete and up-to-date image is maintained. Products that force the user to
reboot back to DOS do so because they are unable to image open files,
particularly files on the system partition. Remember, when a computer is
running, it has open system files even if all of the applications are
closed. Being unable to image those files means that the product cannot work
in the Windows environment. As a result, the user needs to use the slower,
more cumbersome DOS approach.

Additionally, products in this category are differentiated by the file
systems they support. All disk imaging products support the Windows file
systems-File Allocation Table (FAT) 16, FAT 32, and NT File System (NTFS) -
and some provided limited support for Linux file systems Ext2, Ext3 and
Linux Swap, but today only Acronis supports ReiserFS, the default file
system used by SuSE Linux.

To review, creating a full and complete disk image is the best way to create
a backup of a system disk, be it on a Windows 2000 server or on a Windows
95/95/XP/2000 desktop. From a performance standpoint, operating in Windows
is not only the fastest method, but it also allows the user to continue to
be productive while the disk image is being made. A Windows/Linux backup and
restore strategy is faster than simply booting down to DOS for all backup
and restore operations.

It was bad enough when IT managers had to worry about their systems being
hit by pernicious viruses, such as Nimda; today they realized that other
catastrophic events could cause systems to crash. And consumers too realize
that their systems are not immune from damage, even if they are not
connected to the Internet. Backup traditionally has been thought of an
insurance policy. Today, it's also part of corporate security and
productivity plans.

--

> From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>
>

> | Yes, it will "hot" image. I do it all the time.
> |
> | --
> | Rock
> | MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
> Please define and elaborate how it handles open File Handles.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:39:01 AM

For those still skeptical, be assured that Acronis works. And if
anybody is concerned that a backup taken under Windows is slower than
one taken under DOS, I'll mention that the difference between TI and
Ghost 2003 is negligible, plus you save yourself having to boot twice
(once to DOS and then back to Windows).

---
It's easy to make a decision when there are no options.
!