Any Ghost 2003 users here?

Hi Ng, I have a question.

Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,? In
windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are grayed
out.

Is this normal?

Thanks!
30 answers Last reply
More about ghost 2003 users here

    You can not restore the Windows System partition while you are using the
    system. You "must" restore the system partition by booting from the Ghost
    2003 floppy. If you only have one partition on your computers hard drive,
    this will be the case every time you want to restore.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    In article <OTF5NeisFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jacesto66
    @internet.lu says...
    > Hi Ng, I have a question.
    >
    > Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,? In
    > windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are grayed
    > out.

    I don't know of any software that runs IN windows that allows you to
    make a perfect image of the boot drive while it's in use.

    The DOS boot methods means that nothing on the drive to be cloned is in
    Use.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    From: "Werner Bartz" <jacesto66@internet.lu>

    | Hi Ng, I have a question.
    |
    | Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,? In
    | windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are grayed
    | out.
    |
    | Is this normal?
    |
    | Thanks!

    How about a Symantec News Group such as; symantec.customerservice.general

    Afterall Ghost is NOT a MS product, it is from Symantec.

    The reason you boot of a DOS disk is that the OS on the hard didk is NOT running there fore
    100% of the files and Ghost image is restore to the hard disk. Same as creating an image.
    Running the OS means open File Handles and they can't be copied/imaged properly and thus by
    booting off a DOS disk you eliminate the any OS File Handles from being held open by the OS
    on the hard disk.

    Just do a image to hard didk restoration.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Check here but be prepared to do some reading http://ghost.radified.com/

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Leythos wrote:

    > Are you suggesting that Drive Image 7, runs under Windows and makes a
    > "Perfect" image of the entire disk without missing any files that are
    > "in-use"?

    Quite apart from the fact that the OP asked about RESTORING from
    Windows, True Image 8, and I believe Ghost 9 (not to be confused with
    Ghost 2003) enable you to make backups from Windows. This includes
    backups of the system partition. It works.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <OTF5NeisFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jacesto66
    > @internet.lu says...
    >
    >>Hi Ng, I have a question.
    >>
    >>Why does Norton Ghost 2003 only restores an image to a partition in DOS,? In
    >>windows I can only restore the whole drive, because my partitions are grayed
    >>out.
    >

    > I don't know of any software that runs IN windows that allows you to
    > make a perfect image of the boot drive while it's in use.
    >
    > The DOS boot methods means that nothing on the drive to be cloned is in
    > Use.

    Drive Image 7.0 does.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    From: "bxf" <bill@topman.net>

    | Leythos wrote:
    |
    >> Are you suggesting that Drive Image 7, runs under Windows and makes a
    >> "Perfect" image of the entire disk without missing any files that are
    >> "in-use"?
    |
    | Quite apart from the fact that the OP asked about RESTORING from
    | Windows, True Image 8, and I believe Ghost 9 (not to be confused with
    | Ghost 2003) enable you to make backups from Windows. This includes
    | backups of the system partition. It works.

    Ghost 2003 as well. But that is a backup, not a 100% image.

    BTW: Ghost v9 includes Ghost 2003.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I have 2 HDD's, one the first one is my operating system and another
    partition called P.
    The 2nd HDD is only for back up's, it has no partitions.

    I wanted to restore an image file from my backup HDD to the partition called
    P on the 1st HDD
    This didn't work in windows, because the partition P was grayed out, this
    normal?
    Thanks

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:uLRUijisFHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    From: "Werner Bartz" <jacesto66@internet.lu>

    | I have 2 HDD's, one the first one is my operating system and another
    | partition called P.
    | The 2nd HDD is only for back up's, it has no partitions.
    |
    | I wanted to restore an image file from my backup HDD to the partition called
    | P on the 1st HDD
    | This didn't work in windows, because the partition P was grayed out, this
    | normal?
    | Thanks

    The 2cnd hard disk *must* have at least one partition and high level formatted or you can
    NOT store image files as backups on that drive in the first place.

    Are you trying to restore a file from an image or the complete image of the hard didk ?

    If you want to restore a file form an image you do so in Windows and the Ghost Explorer
    utility is to extract a file (or files) from GHO/GHS file which is the image.

    If you want to retore the entire image to a hard disk you boot off a DOS based Ghost Boot
    Disk and open the image on the 2cnd hard disk and restoire the image to the first hard disk.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    In article <O9zOUBksFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
    says...

    From: "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan>

    | Are you suggesting that Drive Image 7, runs under Windows and makes a
    | "Perfect" image of the entire disk without missing any files that are
    | "in-use"?
    |
    | --
    |
    | spam999free@rrohio.com
    | remove 999 in order to email me

    Exactly. If the File Handle is inuse and held open by the OS, you can't change its
    attributes, rename it or copy it.

    I for one would certainly entertain hearing if and how Drive Image can handle this issue
    within a running OS.

    --

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <O9zOUBksFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
    > says...
    >
    >>Leythos wrote:
    >>

    >>>In article <OTF5NeisFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jacesto66
    >>>@internet.lu says...

    >>>I don't know of any software that runs IN windows that allows you to
    >>>make a perfect image of the boot drive while it's in use.
    >>>
    >>>The DOS boot methods means that nothing on the drive to be cloned is in
    >>>Use.
    >>>

    >>Drive Image 7.0 does.
    >

    > Are you suggesting that Drive Image 7, runs under Windows and makes a
    > "Perfect" image of the entire disk without missing any files that are
    > "in-use"?

    Yes, it will "hot" image. I do it all the time.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>

    | Yes, it will "hot" image. I do it all the time.
    |
    | --
    | Rock
    | MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Please define and elaborate how it handles open File Handles.

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>
    >

    > | Yes, it will "hot" image. I do it all the time.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Rock
    > | MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
    > Please define and elaborate how it handles open File Handles.

    I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
    windows makes a exact image of the drive.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>

    | I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
    | windows makes a exact image of the drive.
    |
    | --
    | Rock
    | MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    No offense but... I need that info in order for me to change my POV.

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>
    >
    > | I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
    > | windows makes a exact image of the drive.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Rock
    > | MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
    > No offense but... I need that info in order for me to change my POV.

    I can't answer that for you. I don't know how it does it, other than it
    does work.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    In article <1125945256.582208.27910@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    bill@topman.net says...
    > Quite apart from the fact that the OP asked about RESTORING from
    > Windows, True Image 8, and I believe Ghost 9 (not to be confused with
    > Ghost 2003) enable you to make backups from Windows. This includes
    > backups of the system partition. It works.

    Take a blank drive, then restore you backup to it, not everything will
    be there.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Using Drive Image 7.01 and now Ghost 9 I can create an image of the Windows
    system partition within Windows - as I am actively working the news groups.
    The news group messages are kept on partition D:. I can then reboot with the
    Partition Magic floppies and format my Windows Partition. Then, rebooting
    using the Ghost 9 CD I restore the Windows partition - exactly as it was.

    I have done this many dozens of times with Ghost 9 and with Drive Image
    7.01. Believe me when I state that everything is there.

    I can not vouch for True Image.

    --

    > In article <1125945256.582208.27910@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    > bill@topman.net says...
    >> Quite apart from the fact that the OP asked about RESTORING from
    >> Windows, True Image 8, and I believe Ghost 9 (not to be confused with
    >> Ghost 2003) enable you to make backups from Windows. This includes
    >> backups of the system partition. It works.
    >
    > Take a blank drive, then restore you backup to it, not everything will
    > be there.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    In article <OOKplDlsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
    says...
    > David H. Lipman wrote:
    >
    > > From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>
    > >

    > > | Yes, it will "hot" image. I do it all the time.
    > > |
    > > | --
    > > | Rock
    > > | MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > >
    > > Please define and elaborate how it handles open File Handles.
    > >

    > I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
    > windows makes a exact image of the drive.

    I've never seen any program running INSIDE windows OS (XP/2003) that can
    make copies of Locked files. Sure, I've seen some that can wait, some
    that can read Open files, but, I'm willing to bet that it won't make
    "perfect" image of the drive.

    --

    In article <#fXG6IlsFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
    > Using Drive Image 7.01 and now Ghost 9 I can create an image of the Windows
    > system partition within Windows - as I am actively working the news groups.
    > The news group messages are kept on partition D:. I can then reboot with the
    > Partition Magic floppies and format my Windows Partition. Then, rebooting
    > using the Ghost 9 CD I restore the Windows partition - exactly as it was.
    >
    > I have done this many dozens of times with Ghost 9 and with Drive Image
    > 7.01. Believe me when I state that everything is there.
    >
    > I can not vouch for True Image.

    I have the same feature on my Ghost 2003 package, to make images inside
    Windows while not booting to DOS, but, it does not make copies of locked
    files. Since we run MS SQL DE on every desktop here in the office, it
    would not make a backup of any of the database files during it's backup
    - which is normal and what I expect from a package that clones drives.

    Computer Associates makes a HA service that will monitor Drive Access a
    the lowest of levels and then copy that information to another server -
    so it's a hot spare, but it doesn't work like Ghost does.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Monday 05 September 2005 12:44 pm, Leythos had this to say in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > In article <OOKplDlsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
    > says...
    >> David H. Lipman wrote:
    >>
    >> > From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>

    >> > Please define and elaborate how it handles open File Handles.
    >> >

    >> I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
    >> windows makes a exact image of the drive.
    >
    > I've never seen any program running INSIDE windows OS (XP/2003) that can
    > make copies of Locked files. Sure, I've seen some that can wait, some
    > that can read Open files, but, I'm willing to bet that it won't make
    > "perfect" image of the drive.

    Have you used Acronis True Image 8.0? No problems with images created with
    this program. I also use Acronis True Image Server 4 Linux and backup my
    Linux boxes while running the OS either over the network or to an external
    USB2 drive.

    --
    I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
    No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.

    In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    > On Monday 05 September 2005 12:44 pm, Leythos had this to say in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >
    > > In article <OOKplDlsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
    > > says...

    > >> I don't know David. What I do know is that running it from within
    > >> windows makes a exact image of the drive.
    > >
    > > I've never seen any program running INSIDE windows OS (XP/2003) that can
    > > make copies of Locked files. Sure, I've seen some that can wait, some
    > > that can read Open files, but, I'm willing to bet that it won't make
    > > "perfect" image of the drive.
    > >

    > Have you used Acronis True Image 8.0? No problems with images created with
    > this program. I also use Acronis True Image Server 4 Linux and backup my
    > Linux boxes while running the OS either over the network or to an external
    > USB2 drive.

    No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
    and did version 9.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Monday 05 September 2005 07:05 pm, Leythos had this to say in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    >> On Monday 05 September 2005 12:44 pm, Leythos had this to say in
    >> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >>
    >> > In article <OOKplDlsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
    >> > says...

    >> > I've never seen any program running INSIDE windows OS (XP/2003) that
    >> > can make copies of Locked files. Sure, I've seen some that can wait,
    >> > some that can read Open files, but, I'm willing to bet that it won't
    >> > make "perfect" image of the drive.
    >> >

    >> Have you used Acronis True Image 8.0? No problems with images created
    >> with this program. I also use Acronis True Image Server 4 Linux and
    >> backup my Linux boxes while running the OS either over the network or to
    >> an external USB2 drive.
    >
    > No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
    > and did version 9.

    Symantec bought what? I don't think we're talking about the same product
    here.

    --
    I've eXPerienced it. Now I've moved on to a REAL operating system.
    No more viruses, malware, spyware and instabilities.
    The time for Linux on the desktop has arrived. Try it out.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <2s7Te.101026$Hk.58250@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    > On Monday 05 September 2005 07:05 pm, Leythos had this to say in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >
    > > In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    > >> On Monday 05 September 2005 12:44 pm, Leythos had this to say in
    > >> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > >> Have you used Acronis True Image 8.0? No problems with images created
    > >> with this program. I also use Acronis True Image Server 4 Linux and
    > >> backup my Linux boxes while running the OS either over the network or to
    > >> an external USB2 drive.
    > >
    > > No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
    > > and did version 9.
    > >
    > Symantec bought what? I don't think we're talking about the same product
    > here.

    Sorry, I remember that Symantec bought something and is calling it the
    New Ghost, I could have mistaken the name.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <2s7Te.101026$Hk.58250@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    >
    >>On Monday 05 September 2005 07:05 pm, Leythos had this to say in
    >>microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >>

    >>>In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...

    >>>No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
    >>>and did version 9.
    >>>

    >>Symantec bought what? I don't think we're talking about the same product
    >>here.
    >

    > Sorry, I remember that Symantec bought something and is calling it the
    > New Ghost, I could have mistaken the name.

    Twas PowerQuest DriveImage. And they turned it into junk!

    shaka
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Enough already. Go to this site:
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/features.html
    Here's info from there:

    Key Features

    NEW! “Hot imaging” lets you create backup images without restarting Windows®. *

    NEW! Incremental backup updates save time and disk space.*

    NEW! Scheduled backups automatically keep your backup image up to date.*

    Backs up everything on a hard drive or partition.

    Works with a wide range of hard drives and removable media, including CDR/RW and
    DVD+-R/RW drives, USB and FireWire® (IEEE 1394) devices, and Iomega® Zip® and
    Jaz® drives.

    Restores data from images created with PowerQuest™ Drive Image™ 7.0 and previous
    versions of Norton Ghost.*

    Symantec Recovery Disk lets you restore data from a backup image even when the
    computer can’t start up into Windows.

    LiveUpdate™ keeps Norton Ghost updated automatically over the Internet.

    Norton Ghost 2003 is included to back up and restore data to: Windows 9x, Me,
    NT; Linux®; and DOS systems.
    *This feature is not available with Norton Ghost 2003.

    >>In article <2s7Te.101026$Hk.58250@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    >>> On Monday 05 September 2005 07:05 pm, Leythos had this to say in
    >>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    >>> Symantec bought what? I don't think we're talking about the same product
    >>> here.
    >>
    >>Sorry, I remember that Symantec bought something and is calling it the
    >>New Ghost, I could have mistaken the name.
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <2s7Te.101026$Hk.58250@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    >
    >>On Monday 05 September 2005 07:05 pm, Leythos had this to say in
    >>microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >>

    >>>In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...

    >>>No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
    >>>and did version 9.
    >>>

    >>Symantec bought what? I don't think we're talking about the same product
    >>here.
    >

    > Sorry, I remember that Symantec bought something and is calling it the
    > New Ghost, I could have mistaken the name.

    Symantec bought out Powerquest, the makers of Drive Image. Their
    version 7 technology has been incorporated into Ghost 9.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Try "Image for Windows" from
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html

    Does what you want, reliably.

    JWD

    Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

    >In article <xO4Te.98914$Hk.55485@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    >> On Monday 05 September 2005 12:44 pm, Leythos had this to say in
    >> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >>
    >> > In article <OOKplDlsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
    >> > says...

    >> > I've never seen any program running INSIDE windows OS (XP/2003) that can
    >> > make copies of Locked files. Sure, I've seen some that can wait, some
    >> > that can read Open files, but, I'm willing to bet that it won't make
    >> > "perfect" image of the drive.
    >> >

    >> Have you used Acronis True Image 8.0? No problems with images created with
    >> this program. I also use Acronis True Image Server 4 Linux and backup my
    >> Linux boxes while running the OS either over the network or to an external
    >> USB2 drive.
    >
    >No I've not used it, but I was considering it until Symantec bought it
    >and did version 9.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi David,

    This likely applies to PowerQuest Drive Image 7.01 and Norton Ghost 9, as
    well as Acronis True Image 8. It's an interesting read that may explain what
    you are wanting to know.

    FROM ACRONIS (TRUE IMAGE)

    See:
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/resource/tech-talk/2003/disk-imaging-1-introduction.html
    for complete article.

    Typically, Windows applications cannot copy the system partition because
    they are unable to copy open files. In cases where the user's hard disk is
    partitioned only as one drive, that meant the user could not image their
    system at all from within Windows. If the disk is large enough, it could
    mean that the user is out of commission for hours at a time while the
    program chugged away at creating an image.

    Acronis overcomes this issue of coping open Windows files by effectively
    freezing a moment of time. A special filter driver layers between file
    system drivers and volume drivers, allowing the software to create and
    backup consistent views of all files, including open files. The driver is
    installed above the volume drivers so it can see all the read and write
    requests passing to a volume - or partition.

    When the IT manager or user initiates imaging of the hard disk drive
    containing the system volume, the filter driver flushes the file system
    mounted to that volume; then all the operations on the system volume are
    temporarily frozen. Immediately thereafter, the filter driver creates a
    point-in-time view of the system volume and a bitmap describing the used
    sectors on this volume. Once the bitmap is created, the filter driver
    unfreezes the I/O operations on the system volume. It generally takes just
    several seconds to create a point-in-time view of the volume. After that,
    the operating system continues working as usual and the software can start
    imaging of the system volume.

    Acronis True Image reads the sectors on the system volume according to the
    created bitmap. Once a sector is read, the appropriate bit in the bitmap is
    reset. In its turn, the filter driver continues working to hold the
    point-in-time view of the system volume. Whenever the filter driver sees a
    write operation directed at the system volume, it checks whether these
    sectors are not backed-up yet, if they are not, the filter driver reads a
    copy of the sectors that will be overwritten into a special buffer created
    by the software, then it allows the sectors to be overwritten. Acronis True
    Image backups the sectors from the special buffer so that all the sectors of
    the point-in-time view of the system volume will be backed-up intact.
    Meanwhile, the operating system continues working and the user will not
    notice anything unusual in their operating system functionality.

    Since Windows XP supports the Universal Disk Format (UDF) file system,
    Acronis True Image can take advantage of this file system and create images
    via the UDF. Once the file system is mounted in the read/write mode, the
    software detects it and writes the image to a file created on this file
    system. If the UDF is not available in the operating system, then the backup
    software will burn the image directly to blank CDs. All of the popular
    imaging applications have at least some support for writing to CDs -
    although the DOS-based applications might not have support for the latest
    CD-RW devices. However, only programs that can call Windows-based drivers
    can write to DVD drives.

    All products have to reboot the imaged system in order to restore an image.
    Again, many of the popular products reboot to DOS, just as they did when
    they imaged the disk in the first place. Acronis True Image, however,
    reboots into a customized version of Linux and presents the user with a
    Windows-like interface. By booting to Linux, the software is able to support
    the latest storage devices, such as CD-RW and writable DVD devices. After
    all, it wouldn't make much sense to save the image to DVD if the software
    couldn't restore it from it as well.

    To give you an idea of the capacity differences between CD and DVD
    technology, popular CD-R disks today boast 700MB of capacity. A DVD-18 drive
    (double-sided/double-layered) supports 16GB, or nearly 23 times more
    capacity than the poplar blank CDs today. That's an extremely significant
    difference when you need to image a large disk and do not want multiple
    disks per volume.

    The advanced technology in leading-edge imaging products work is not how
    they create a partition, but rather, how they image the disk. As noted
    above, the Acronis offering takes a bitmapped image of the disk while still
    in Windows and then monitors subsequent write operations. As files are
    written or updated, those portions of the disk are re-imaged so that a
    complete and up-to-date image is maintained. Products that force the user to
    reboot back to DOS do so because they are unable to image open files,
    particularly files on the system partition. Remember, when a computer is
    running, it has open system files even if all of the applications are
    closed. Being unable to image those files means that the product cannot work
    in the Windows environment. As a result, the user needs to use the slower,
    more cumbersome DOS approach.

    Additionally, products in this category are differentiated by the file
    systems they support. All disk imaging products support the Windows file
    systems-File Allocation Table (FAT) 16, FAT 32, and NT File System (NTFS) -
    and some provided limited support for Linux file systems Ext2, Ext3 and
    Linux Swap, but today only Acronis supports ReiserFS, the default file
    system used by SuSE Linux.

    To review, creating a full and complete disk image is the best way to create
    a backup of a system disk, be it on a Windows 2000 server or on a Windows
    95/95/XP/2000 desktop. From a performance standpoint, operating in Windows
    is not only the fastest method, but it also allows the user to continue to
    be productive while the disk image is being made. A Windows/Linux backup and
    restore strategy is faster than simply booting down to DOS for all backup
    and restore operations.

    It was bad enough when IT managers had to worry about their systems being
    hit by pernicious viruses, such as Nimda; today they realized that other
    catastrophic events could cause systems to crash. And consumers too realize
    that their systems are not immune from damage, even if they are not
    connected to the Internet. Backup traditionally has been thought of an
    insurance policy. Today, it's also part of corporate security and
    productivity plans.

    --

    > From: "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net>
    >

    > | Yes, it will "hot" image. I do it all the time.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Rock
    > | MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
    > Please define and elaborate how it handles open File Handles.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    For those still skeptical, be assured that Acronis works. And if
    anybody is concerned that a backup taken under Windows is slower than
    one taken under DOS, I'll mention that the difference between TI and
    Ghost 2003 is negligible, plus you save yourself having to boot twice
    (once to DOS and then back to Windows).

    ---
    It's easy to make a decision when there are no options.

Microsoft Windows XP