XP Pro SP2 is denying me permission to access files

G'day Team,

Am having much trouble when I try to open some programs, not all. I get the
following message.

"Windows cannot access the device, path, or file. You may not have the
appropriate permissions to access the item."

I can't start my firewall for instance. I need help as I'm clueless about
the permissions and ownership things. Maybe I've been hacked? Maybe not.

Any help appreciated.
Regards,
Greg
2 answers Last reply
More about denying permission access files

    Hi

    Please see if the following helps:

    "How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP"

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Redbeard" <numinous@BOGUS.spymac.com> wrote in message
    > G'day Team,
    >
    > Am having much trouble when I try to open some programs, not all. I get
    > the following message.
    >
    > "Windows cannot access the device, path, or file. You may not have the
    > appropriate permissions to access the item."
    >
    > I can't start my firewall for instance. I need help as I'm clueless about
    > the permissions and ownership things. Maybe I've been hacked? Maybe not.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    > Regards,
    > Greg

    Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.
    Redbeard.

    > Hi
    >
    > Please see if the following helps:
    >
    > "How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >
    > "Redbeard" <numinous@BOGUS.spymac.com> wrote in message
    >> G'day Team,
    >>
    >> Am having much trouble when I try to open some programs, not all. I get
    >> the following message.
    >>
    >> "Windows cannot access the device, path, or file. You may not have the
    >> appropriate permissions to access the item."
    >>
    >> I can't start my firewall for instance. I need help as I'm clueless about
    >> the permissions and ownership things. Maybe I've been hacked? Maybe not.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated.
    >> Regards,
    >> Greg

Permissions Windows XP