Sign in with
Your question

CPU advice

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 15, 2003 1:48:57 AM

I have a VS440FX MoBo with a PII OD (333mhz); 256mb ram (that is the max ram).

I just chanced upon a PR440FX; with 2-200mhz PPros; and 512 ram.

I use this box as a software development workstation: Java web appication stuff: Text editing (with a java based text editor); java compiles; some c/c++ compiles; Database client applications (tora, DBVisualizer); maybe web/app server for dev and test (tomcat, weblogic); heavy Internet browsing; heavy ssh/telnet usage (as client to other boxes).

My question is: Do I go with the PII OD or dual PPros? I am not really a hard ware guy, but for a workstation would dual CPU really improve interactive performance?

I guess ultimately, I'd like to try and get another PII OD and 'double up'. But what about getting one of those Socket 8 to Celeron adapters (up to 733mhz Celeron)? What about two of those Socket 8 adapter thingies?

So for interactive workstation, do I go for MHZ or less mhz but double up?

I am just looking for some general guideline, rule of thumb type of advice.

I forgot to mention I would be running LINUX (RH9 probably) and linux only.

Oh and my goals are to use this box regularly and it would cost next to nothing; since the only thing I would need to (if I wanted to 'upgrade' it further) buy was a second PII OD (apprx $50) or some of those Celeron adapters and celerons (what do they cost??)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fwelland on 12/15/03 08:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : cpu advice

a b à CPUs
December 15, 2003 2:55:24 AM

The old mendicino Celerons were great processors that could be used in dual configuration under certain hardware. Of course a couple of those PII OD processors would also be nice.

You might find two different types of Socket 370 adapters, those that support Coppermines and those that don't.

Of course the FX chipset is painfully slow and probably only supports 72-pin SIMMs...I personally wouldn't put any money into such a system.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 15, 2003 7:28:04 AM

"So for interactive workstation, do I go for MHZ or less mhz but double up?"

I'm definetly not qualified to give a difinitive answer, _but_, I have had an experience in comparing a dual P-pro 200(IBM PC-360 I think it was) to a P-II 333(an old Dell XPS something or other).

I was using Linux, and under Linux, the dual P-pros seemed to have a much smoother operation. The speed difference in individual apps was clearly on the P-IIs side, but the overall system operated more smoothly on the P-pros. As an example, I could compile a project while browsing the web with very few, if any "hiccups" in performance. I'm not sure how to describe it better than that.

If you could take the other machine to higher megahertz, I'm not sure what kind of difference that could make. With the current stats, I'd prefer the dual pro's, especially seeing as how you get double the ram out of them. My 2 cents...

<i>The wrath of penguins shall be felt. No windows shall be left unbroken.</i>
!