Dell Optiplex G1 400 MHz - anyone know about this computer

I have gotten a 2nd computer for my senior father so that I can home
network, & he can use my cable hook-up to get online with. It is a
Dell Optiplex G1 400 MHz with 64 megs of RAM Celeron. (He has a P1 60
MHz with 16 megs RAM right now, with no Network card, & I don't think
it is fast enough for high speed Internet anyway, & he will not
accept a new computer. This Dell I bought for $50 he'll accept.

What I'd like know for this Dell is, are the components plug & play?
(Win 98 is installed on the hard drive, and i do not have an original
disk nor a clear copy Win 98). By components, I mean the hard drive,
the CD ROM, the A: floppy drive, and the built-in network card.
Being a non-expert, I suspect the hard drive & floppy are just plug
'em in, but I don't know about the CD ROM needing a driver & the
network card needing a driver. The Dell help file says the network
receptor is integrated (monitor receptor too). But does being
integrated mean no drivers are needed? ( see bottom paragraph for
more info on drivers I see on this computer ).

The computer still thinks it is on an office network tied into the
Dell network card (there is a 2nd NIC added in a slot). When I boot,
I have to go through a window asking for the network password, which I
just press the enter key with nothing written in the password field,
and a window pops up & tells me I won't be able to do stuff on the
network, OK, fine, & it loads up normally. Anyone know how I can
delete this office network? & then set up this Dell NIC for a
router I have yet to acquire?

About the 2nd NIC - the guy I bought the computer from (bulk buyer of
used computer stuff) I beleive added in this 2nd NIC card of his own.
I guess because he wanted to show how fast it was on DSL when I went
to go look at it - so he must not have known how to un-install the
already existing office network, and just added a D-Link NIC.

Drivers:
Three D-Link drivers appear in control panel\Network. But no drivers
for the Dell NIC listed there. I do see several drivers listed in a
drivers folder, but the names of these drivers, and some folders with
drivers in them, are mostly named with just numbers, and I don't know
what they belong to.

Also in this control panel\network window, it lists the computer name
as "Dimension" and the Workgroup as "moon". Is "moon" the name of the
office network it used to be on?

If you have any input, please reply. Or if you know of a better
newsgroup to ask in, or a website that could help me, please let me
know. Thanks.

Big Mac

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/ban_gx1/
The manuals are there.
The drivers are available here;
http://support.dell.com/filelib/criteria.aspx
You'll need a network driver
http://support.dell.com/filelib/Devices.aspx?Category=5&OS=W98++&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=PLX_PNT_PII_GX1
Go through the list to check if other drivers
exist. The site is very helpful and will search
your machine
for hardware.

"Big Mac" <no-email-in-usenet@zzz.org> wrote in
message
> [...]
to un-install the
> already existing office network, and just added
a D-Link NIC.

> Drivers:
> Three D-Link drivers appear in control
panel\Network. But no drivers
> for the Dell NIC listed there. I do see several
drivers listed in a
> drivers folder, but the names of these drivers,
and some folders with
> drivers in them, are mostly named with just
numbers, and I don't know
> what they belong to.
>
> Also in this control panel\network window, it
lists the computer name
> as "Dimension" and the Workgroup as "moon". Is
"moon" the name of the
> office network it used to be on?
>
> If you have any input, please reply. Or if you
know of a better
> newsgroup to ask in, or a website that could

all that good info above, plus...
the system accepts pc100 type memory (some pc133 will work, but it needs to
be the older, low density type). it supports a maximum of two (one in each
socket) 128mb modules for a system maximum of 256mb. crucial.com is a great
source for memory or check your local circular for sales on the 128mb pc100
modules for as little as $20 each after rebate. any standard 3.5" ide hard
disk will work in this system but getting one under 127gb capacity means no
hassles. finally, to get rid of the network login with windows98...
start-settings-controlpanel-network(icon, double click), the 'network
properties' window should open and the 'configuration' tab selected. look
for 'client for microsoft networks' in the list and double click on it. a
windows titled 'client for microsoft networks properties' should open.
un-check (that is de-select) the check box for 'log on to windows nt
domain'. also, select 'quick logon' below, and choose 'save.' now back at
the previous window, look for 'tcp/ip -> 3com(or whatever make/model network
card you have installed)' and double click on it. look under 'ip address'
tab and select 'obtain automatically', under 'dns' select 'disable dns',
under 'wins configuration' select 'disable wins resolution'. next look under
the 'identification' tab and enter a 'computer name' (ie "Dell G1" or
whatever you want this computer to be called on your network), a 'workgroup'
name like "workgroup", and a 'description' which can be left blank... click
'ok' and it should take a minute or two as it reconfigures your system and
then prompts you to reboot. hope that does it, but it may be more
complicated if they have multiple network cards or protocols installed...
good luck.

"Pen" <pen34us_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> to un-install the
> > already existing office network, and just added
> a D-Link NIC.
> >
> > Drivers:
> > Three D-Link drivers appear in control
> panel\Network. But no drivers
> > for the Dell NIC listed there. I do see several
> drivers listed in a
> > drivers folder, but the names of these drivers,
> and some folders with
> > drivers in them, are mostly named with just
> numbers, and I don't know
> > what they belong to.
> >
> > Also in this control panel\network window, it
> lists the computer name
> > as "Dimension" and the Workgroup as "moon". Is
> "moon" the name of the
> > office network it used to be on?
> >
> > If you have any input, please reply. Or if you
> know of a better
> > newsgroup to ask in, or a website that could

Thanks you two for the replies. Really Appreciated.

Big Mac