juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
http://www.hardtecs4u.com/reviews/2003/amd_athlon64_3000/

It goes bad for AMD really bad.I do my normal 6 month prediction.Prescott will be clear winner in all the Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 of 2004.It will see if i can keep my 100% accuracy.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 12/15/03 07:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.hardtecs4u.com/reviews/2003/amd_athlon64_3000/" target="_new">Clicky</A>

It goes bad for AMD really bad.
Can you please tell us what led you to this conclusion? The way I see it, from the benchmark you gave to us, the A64 is a MUCH better choice over the P4 3.0c. It is slower in video encoding but faster in everything else, and it costs right now at Newegg $56 less than its competitor ($215 vs $271).

Prescott will be clear winner in all the Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 of 2004.
Again, it seems to me that you are living in a world of your own. If P4 EE didn't manage to beat FX-51 I doubt that Prescott will manage that, especially since we know that Intel won't be releasing a CPU faster than 3.6GHz, at least before H2 2004. And even IF it does, we also all know that the S939 "San Diego" A64 is coming with 1000MHz HyperTransport bus and lower latency not-registered DDR memory. I am really really curious about how you are being so sure that Intel will dominate in 2004.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
It goes bad for AMD really bad
Try this link on for size:

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13187" target="_new">Inquirer link to A64 3000+ article</A>

It tells a different story than what you're saying. The only problem is that the original article is in German, but the Inquirer summarizes the results.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
You can read the review yourself if you like! I used the translation tool at Altavista for that website and it works really well. That review shows the Athlon64 3000+ beating 3.0c in everything except video encoding. I am very surprised by this guy's conclusion as well and I can't wait seeing his reply! I'm really curious about this, and about his 2004 prediction too.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I thought the same thing as you I read the post (very early this morning) came back 10 minutes later to respond but you had already said what I was thinking. I figured why double post the same question. I'm also curious on his reasons (conclusion) for the post.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Is Intel going to move its critical data centers to the Opteron platform?????

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13172" target="_new"> Click to read </A>

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
This guy basically just spews Intel PR and lives in a world of his own. I wouldn't pay him much attention. :)
Lol ... He's gotten better, but his English still isn't that great. I'm never really quite sure what he's saying or what his reasoning is. We need a "Juin English to English" translator, but Altavista doesn't have one.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
"Can you please tell us what led you to this conclusion? The way I see it, from the benchmark you gave to us, the A64 is a MUCH better choice over the P4 3.0c. It is slower in video encoding but faster in everything else, and it costs right now at Newegg $56 less than its competitor ($215 vs $271)."-pitsi

Amd is not going to support the AMd64 3000 or AMD 3200 with an upgrade path,so if you're building one of those now you'll be throwing away the $280 you spend on good single channel ram,which makes the intell cheaper if still inferior.I was going to build a amd64 3200;but now I'm waiting for socket 939 :( or will just build around the xp2500+barton.

rain_king_uk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
Is it confirmed there will be no upgrade path for these chips? The last I heard there was alot of confusion over the latest roadmaps - I find it hard to believe there will be no viable upgrade path.

poncho

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Where on earth do some people get there information from??

Yes AMD is certainly going to be supporting the athlon 64 with an upgrade path, namely the the socket 754 platform on which it currently runs. You seem to be getting yourself confused between the the athlon 64 platform and the athlon 64 FX.
The difference being that the normal athlon 64 only has a single channel ddr memory controller where as the FX range has dual channel, thus its need for the extra pins on the cpu (754 compared to the 940/939) oh yes and alll those extra $$$$$.
The new socket 939 platform are to support the new athlon 64 fx cpus that will be released early next year and will no longer require the use of registered ECC ram needed by the socket 940 they will not effect the athlon 64 3000+ and 3200+ which run on the socket 754.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win your still retarded!

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20031030090354.html" target="_new">AMD Confirms Socket 940, Socket 754 AMD Athlon 64 CPUs Next Year</A>

How is it possible to even think that a company would introduce a new socket, release 2 processors for that socket and then discontinue it? It doesn't make sense! If I would upgrade I would probably wait for S939 as well but if I wanted to upgrade right now and not wait 4 months or so, I would choose S754 over Pentium 4 anytime.

poncho

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
In case your wondering does this mean those who have gone and bought Athlon 64 FX 51 chips will be left with out an upgrade path.
No it does not
The socket 940 platform will still be used by Opteron processors.
So opteron 1XX boards will be compatible with athlon fx chips (for all intents and purposes they are exactly the same chip anyway). These boards however will most probably not be geared towards gaming as the opteron is a workstation/server chip.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win your still retarded!

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
All aplication of all type are faster on a P4.A64 are fast on game but will never improve my frame rate.After FSAA and ASNI are on and quality are high the cpu clock speed or else is unrelevant.

My prediction is base on new PCI expresse DDR-2 coming future manufacturing process and how the platform evolve.

I dont like french test

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
So in other words, you have no idea about what you are talking about.

All aplication of all type are faster on a P4.
If you ignore all the synthetic benchmarks (as you should, since they don't play any role in real performance), the P4 won only in video encoding. That's not "all applications of all types" in my book.

A64 are fast on game but will never improve my frame rate.After FSAA and ASNI are on and quality are high the cpu clock speed or else is unrelevant.
Then why not choose a Barton 2500+ which is cheaper as well? Answer me this if you can!

My prediction is base on new PCI expresse DDR-2 coming future manufacturing process and how the platform evolve.
Yeap, those are great reasons! Way to go!

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
"All aplication of all type are faster on a P4"

What are you basing this on?

<i>The wrath of penguins shall be felt. No windows shall be left unbroken.</i>

waho

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
I think that for NOW this is unparalleled in price/performance, especially for games. It also has the benefit of running 64-bit. And it seems as Intel is moving towards x-86-64 this is definitely a bonus (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20031216070734.html)

Sure, other platforms will support PCI-Express, DDRII memory in the FUTURE, but for NOW, this is the processor to get. For gamers NOW; this is the chip to get. If you do multimedia/encoding, the P4 might be better

The only drawback is the current lack of a good chipset and mobo if you are interested in overclocking; the VIA K8T800 lacks a PCI/AGP lock which seriously impairs overclocking :(

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Personally for that price I find the 3000+ at that price very tempting, considering all I do with my computer is play games and type papers. The main reason I haven't grabbed on yet is I'm waiting on a chipset that can do everything I want. IIRC (and my memory isn't always that good) the upcoming SIS chipset that was reviewed recently looked like it might be ok.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
"I think that for NOW this is unparalleled in price/performance, especially for games. It also has the benefit of running 64-bit. And it seems as Intel is moving towards x-86-64 this is definitely a bonus (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20031216070734.html)"

If you meant this as a reply specificaly to me, all I can say is you're preaching to the choir. :smile:

[begin anti-fanboy rant]
This guy keeps claiming that P4s are faster in all applications other than games, and the times I've asked him where he gets his numbers or what he bases his statements on, he doesn't reply.

In another thread, he told me that 64bit Linux was only available in high end expensive enterprise versions of Linux that cost much more than windows, unless you recompile your kernel. He said this, despite the fact that I run Suse 9 professional for AMD64, which cost 119.00, which is cheaper than any price I've ever seen for Windows XP. He also made some statements I didn't understand regarding the performance benefits of 64bit Linux versus 32bit. I asked where he got the numbers from and he didn't reply.

I'm only asking him to produce some evidence of his claims. I hate fanboys who spread misinformation. If he knows of some info that can back up his claims regarding the P4, then he ought to share it, because the review he pointed to, contradicted not just the initial post of this thread, but also his later statement that "All aplication of all type are faster on a P4". If it is faster, I want to know so I won't be misleading people by saying otherwise, but I'm not just going to ignore the numerous comparisons I've seen and take his word on it.

And when Intel releases chips that are faster, I'll be doing the same things to the AMD fanboys. If people want to be loyal to a side, pick a fricking sport. Don't go mucking up tech forums with biased nonsense. I mean, I like Linux, but I'm not about to go lie to someone and tell them that Linux is better than Windows in everyway just because I like Linux. That's ridiculous and dishonest.

The vast majority of this wasn't targeted towards you waho, I hope juin and every other fanboy reads this. As long as you have to lie, YOU'RE WRONG. As long as you have to spin, YOU'RE WRONG. Crap, I'm a Raiders fan, but I'm not about to go out and say they could clobber every team in the NFL, because the fact is, this season, they can't. And this isn't even a sport for pete's sake...
[end anti-fanboy rant]

<i>The wrath of penguins shall be felt. No windows shall be left unbroken.</i>

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Changed my mind;but I'm only going to put in an athlon64 3000+.I wish I knew whether its 1.8 or 2ghz-venders are listing it as both;but newegg has it just as 1.8ghz now!

With the msi k8t neo-fis2r kingston reconmends KVR400x64c25 which only costs $115 a stick or $91 at newegg(via pricegrapper). Anyone have recommendations for coolers for the ram and for twin raptors of the 36gb variety?

When I stated AMD had no upgrade path I meant next to none as they'll only introduce new ones during the first half of 04 and only up to 3700+ making their upgrade path and length as short as the bartons without the massive overclocking ablity.Who would pay $418-450 for a 3200 only to upgrade it to a 3700 when the better 949 socket will already be out,just like upgrading to a 3200+barton now!

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
I dled Suse 9.0 off their site for free...free is pretty cheap :smile:

<font color=blue>If the <font color=yellow>laurel</font color=yellow> is to big for your head, it becomes a hoola-hoop, and you have to keep your butt really busy.</font color=blue>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
The Athlon64 3000+ at NewEgg features 2GHz, 512Kbyte L2 cache. Some info at <A HREF="http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTYw" target="_new">HardOCP</A>. There's an Athlon 64 3000+ chip for desktop replacement notebooks which features 1Mbyte of L2 cache and runs at 1.8GHz. Good explanation at <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20031214095239.html" target="_new">Xbit</A>.