Subwoofer makes a booming noise when power goes out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oshpal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hi all,
I have a Logitech z-680 speaker system plugged into my PS3. The problem I'm having is whenever the power goes out the Sub makes a loud booming noise, makes me jump every time.
I assume that this is not good for the Sub? Any idea of whats the reason for this and how to prevent it?

I was thinking of connecting the speaker system (+PS3,TV) to a UPS(Uninterruptible Power Supply) but I've read that it is not a good idea since the UPS dose not give a pure sine wave output. (except for those On-Line UPS which are very expensive)

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

p.s-The area i live is prone to frequent power outages.Its only for a minute or two but couple of times a day.

oshpal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

What I meant by 'every time the power goes out' is a Blackout. So i can't know for sure when its gonna happen.
The area i live in is prone to frequent Blackouts.Its only for a minute or two but couple of times a day.

I guess you are right about not connecting it to a square wave UPS. I've learned that it generates lot of noise on the line.
So it is normal to get a 'Thump' when the Sub looses power suddenly? Nothing I should worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.