Applications generate notepad upon start up.

I recently was prompted to open a file with the "open with" option and chose
notepad.
Since then when windows loads, all of my prefetch programmes generate a
notepad box full of weird characters on the desktop and any attempt to open a
file results in notepad opening a new box, but not the application.
I can get round this by right clicking the icon and using "run as" and
unchecking the "protect my computer" box.
Spyware & trojan hunters,anti virus software all come up with nothing.
Does anyone know how to reverse this? TIA

Use the "Run As" to launch the System Restore interface.
(%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe)

Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Tappy Lapy" <TappyLapy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently was prompted to open a file with the "open with" option and
>chose
> notepad.
> Since then when windows loads, all of my prefetch programmes generate a
> notepad box full of weird characters on the desktop and any attempt to
> open a
> file results in notepad opening a new box, but not the application.
> I can get round this by right clicking the icon and using "run as" and
> unchecking the "protect my computer" box.
> Spyware & trojan hunters,anti virus software all come up with nothing.
> Does anyone know how to reverse this? TIA

Hi Ramesh, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I already tried this but
the restore facility only goes back to Setp 1st, which is after the problem
started.n Regards Richard

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Use the "Run As" to launch the System Restore interface.
> (%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe)
>
> Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Tappy Lapy" <TappyLapy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently was prompted to open a file with the "open with" option and
> >chose
> > notepad.
> > Since then when windows loads, all of my prefetch programmes generate a
> > notepad box full of weird characters on the desktop and any attempt to
> > open a
> > file results in notepad opening a new box, but not the application.
> > I can get round this by right clicking the icon and using "run as" and
> > unchecking the "protect my computer" box.
> > Spyware & trojan hunters,anti virus software all come up with nothing.
> > Does anyone know how to reverse this? TIA

Tappy,

Click Start, Run and type COMMAND.COM
Type REGEDIT (this should launch the Registry Editor)
Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe

In the right-pane, delete the following values if found:

* Application
* ProgID

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.EXE
Set the (default) value to "exefile" (Without quotes)

Navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
Set the (default) value to the following:

"%1" %* (With quotes)

Close Regedit.

--

> Hi Ramesh, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I already tried this
> but
> the restore facility only goes back to Setp 1st, which is after the
> problem
> started.n Regards Richard
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Use the "Run As" to launch the System Restore interface.
>> (%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe)
>>
>> Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Tappy Lapy" <TappyLapy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently was prompted to open a file with the "open with" option and
>> >chose
>> > notepad.
>> > Since then when windows loads, all of my prefetch programmes generate a
>> > notepad box full of weird characters on the desktop and any attempt to
>> > open a
>> > file results in notepad opening a new box, but not the application.
>> > I can get round this by right clicking the icon and using "run as" and
>> > unchecking the "protect my computer" box.
>> > Spyware & trojan hunters,anti virus software all come up with nothing.
>> > Does anyone know how to reverse this? TIA

Ramesh, can't thank you enough. Lots of hours, many newsgroups and a few
sites later you have finally cracked it. I was running out of hair to pull
out by the roots!! Thanks for everything. Richard

You're very much welcome Richard.