Athlon XP - Locked or not?

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Has AMD started multiplier locking on the Bartons? Anyone know for sure? Any articles released on this?

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So, any overclocking that I might try is by the FSB only?

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
overclocking via fsb is the best way to overclock anyway so long as the rest of your system can handel it. xp2500 have been multipler locked for a while now and most of the newer xp cpu's are now locked as well.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
overclocking via fsb is the best way to overclock anyway
Which is exactly why they need to be <b>unlocked</b>. For instance the 2500+ with multi 11 often tops @ 2.2GHz which is 200fsb (on virtually stock voltage and proper air cooling), however mine is @ 2.2GHz but it gets it from 10.5 x 210. Simple. It's still an amazing increase just by fsb (166-200) without multi adjust but you can go alot further with good ram and multi down.

Psyko

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?showtopic=421" target="_new">Psyko's Puter</A>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
You gota a point.. What I meant is overclocking via FSB is the best way to go instead of just uping the multipier.

psykoikonov did you really think I was implying hes better off with the multiplier locked? Yes psykoikonov the higher the fsb the better the better the performance when any two cpu's are running at = speed MHz.

Maybe people will figure out how to unlock them, but for now athlonxp buyers are stuck

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
psykoikonov did you really think I was implying hes better off with the multiplier locked? Yes psykoikonov the higher the fsb the better the better the performance when any two cpu's are running at = speed MHz.
I was hoping not, wanted to make sure everyonelse reading this understood as well.

Psyko

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?showtopic=421" target="_new">Psyko's Puter</A>