replacing CDRom

Hi,
Is it possible to replace a CDRom in a laptop with a CDRW?, and where can
you get one from if you can..
Many thanks
Flic

Yes, it is possible, but it may be difficult depending on the make (HPaq?) and
model of the laptop. Deep down inside, all CD-ROMs and CD-RWs manufactured for
use in laptops and other smallish computers are the same. They have the same
basic shape and physical connector for the data-and-power cable.

Where this gets dicey is in two areas:

1. The plastic front bezel is often customized and oddly-shaped to fit the
overall design of the laptop.
2. The data-and-power connector is often added on and distinctive, once again to
fit the overall design of the laptop.

Unless you can buy a CD-RW with an HPaq part number designed expressly for your
model of laptop computer, be prepared for some very tedious fiddling around to
get another CD-RW connected up and working smoothly... Ben Myers

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:19:24 +1000, "barbibiz" <barbibiz@austarnet.com.au>
wrote:

>Hi,
>Is it possible to replace a CDRom in a laptop with a CDRW?, and where can
>you get one from if you can..
>Many thanks
>Flic

hh

Ben is correct. I'd go with an external USB CD/RW drive if possible.
HH

"barbibiz" <barbibiz@austarnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Is it possible to replace a CDRom in a laptop with a CDRW?, and where can
> you get one from if you can..
> Many thanks
> Flic

TRENDING THREADS