MN-500 wrong IP address for internet conec

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 26, 2004 10:15:21 PM

I'm trying to use my mn500 to access the internet using a
wireless network card on my laptop. When I try use the
internet coming from my broadband moden, the mn500 picks
up an IP address that doesn't work. It's not the ISP,
because if I plug it straight into my laptop it works,
and gives the corrects IP address. It's not my wireless
card, because it works elsewhere. And I dont think its
the base station. What settings do I have wrong?
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 2:19:12 AM

What do you mean by "an IP address that doesn't work"??

Have you tried renewing the IP address of the router when you connect it to
your cable modem?? Or - to do essentially the same thing - power off both
your modem and router, then power on the router then the modem. Also, are
you sure the router is configured correctly - for dynamic IP (most cable
systems) or PPPoE (many\most DSL systems - uses a user name and password).

If that doesn't work, give us the first three octets (i.e. 192.168.1.XXX) of
the "IP address that doesn't work".

Cheers!

Jim

"Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to use my mn500 to access the internet using a
> wireless network card on my laptop. When I try use the
> internet coming from my broadband moden, the mn500 picks
> up an IP address that doesn't work. It's not the ISP,
> because if I plug it straight into my laptop it works,
> and gives the corrects IP address. It's not my wireless
> card, because it works elsewhere. And I dont think its
> the base station. What settings do I have wrong?
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 2:19:13 AM

Sorry, I'm still getting 192.164 instead of 24.110. I
must have the configuration incorect. Can you help?

August 27, 2004 11:09:42 AM

you need to clone the mac address of the computer that was originally
connected directly to the modem into the MN500. Then it will work.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:15:21 -0700, "Tony"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

And be sure to use the "wired" network card on your computer, if you try
this using your wireless card, you'll clone the wrong MAC.

-sc

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D h5ui09c9b9su6db2abhf17ba4tod1l1vq@4ax.com...
> you need to clone the mac address of the computer that was originally
> connected directly to the modem into the MN500. Then it will work.
>
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:15:21 -0700, "Tony"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to use my mn500 to access the internet using a
> >wireless network card on my laptop. When I try use the
> >internet coming from my broadband moden, the mn500 picks
> >up an IP address that doesn't work. It's not the ISP,
> >because if I plug it straight into my laptop it works,
> >and gives the corrects IP address. It's not my wireless
> >card, because it works elsewhere. And I dont think its
> >the base station. What settings do I have wrong?
>
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)
August 27, 2004 1:19:45 PM

I no longer have the same laptop or network card the was
originally connected. How can I get the correct mac
address?

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 4:59:17 PM

If the MAC address is the issue, then you'll need to call your BB provider
and tell them you have switched hardware and that you'll need to re-register
the MAC address. If they're persnikity about what you're connecting, you may
need to hook up a PC to the broadband modem before they'll do it--if not
they'll pull the MAC right from the MN-500.

Another thought, but my BB provider doesn't register the MAC or anything,
but if I do switch my hardware connected to the broadband modem, I need to
reboot the the broadband modem for traffic to flow again. Have you, with
your MN-500 booted and connected, rebooted your modem?

-sc

> I no longer have the same laptop or network card the was
> originally connected. How can I get the correct mac
> address?

August 27, 2004 6:38:37 PM

I got it working, I just needed to add my MAC # into the
basestation management tool, now it works. Thanks to all
that helped.

!