Best anti virus and firewall

Hi everyone I'm looking into free security for my pc as my norton 360 license is almost over. Quick double checking do I just need a good firewall and antivirus? If so what do people recommend. Is it enough that I just use microsoft security essentials with windows firewall or can people recommend me a good firewall and a good antivirus. Thanks for the help.
40 answers Last reply
More about best anti virus firewall
  1. Hi :)

    Best PAID = Norton Internet Security 2013

    Best FREE = MSE (about half as good as Norton)

    Your choice...(and I fix viruses every day in my shops)

    All the best Brett :)
  2. Asking that question in a forum like this will get you several different answers - my answer is there is no "best", best is subjective, you would be wise to look at the reports/results of the industry testing institutes such as VB100, AV Comparatives, AV-Test etc.

    Then make an informed decision on what products offer the highest consistent protection.
  3. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Best PAID = Norton Internet Security 2013

    Best FREE = MSE (about half as good as Norton)

    Your choice...(and I fix viruses every day in my shops)

    All the best Brett :)



    Well that's a corporate response if ever I heard one.

    Microsoft Security Essentials, which is a free download from Microsoft has been the subject of very good reviews and is all you could ask for from a free security suite.
  4. All you are going to get here is other people opinions in what is the best -- so here is what I use myself, and I am quite confident to recommend you as a free option.

    Antivirus: http://www.avira.com
    Anti-malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/
  5. mactronix said:
    Well that's a corporate response if ever I heard one.

    Microsoft Security Essentials, which is a free download from Microsoft has been the subject of very good reviews and is all you could ask for from a free security suite.



    Hi :)

    No financial interest in Norton or any other AV product....

    We just see a LOT of virus infected machines in the shops I own....

    We occasionally see one with MSE >>AND<< Viruses....

    We NEVER see one with an up to date and non expired Norton....

    If this was advice in MY interest, I would say put on one of what we call in the virus fixing business "THE THREE A`s" (AVG, AVIRA, AVAST) ...because we get HUNDREDS of machines in every year with those three free ones AND Viruses....


    All the best Brett :)
  6. Hi everyone what about if I go with AVAST and comodo firewall. Would that give me adequate protection?
  7. Jacko1235 said:
    Hi everyone what about if I go with AVAST and comodo firewall. Would that give me adequate protection?



    Hi :)

    Not in my opinion....but its better than nothing...

    All the best Brett :)
  8. You've never seen an infected Norton machine? I have in my business. If Norton is PERFECT, how come it doesn't score perfect 6's here? http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/mayjun-2012/
  9. getochkn said:
    You've never seen an infected Norton machine? I have in my business. If Norton is PERFECT, how come it doesn't score perfect 6's here? http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/mayjun-2012/



    Hi :)

    Oh I have seen infected Norton machines, but ONLY when the Norton has expired...

    My company fixes Hundreds of machines a year.....with viruses....

    You don't like my advice, that's fine, but I fix viruses EVERY day... do you ?

    All the best Brett :)
  10. Kaspersky?
  11. The_Assassin said:
    Kaspersky?



    Hi :)

    Average.... we keep getting given free copies of that with motherboards from one of our suppliers lol... we drop them in the bin...

    All the best Brett :)
  12. GDATA?
  13. I don't know a single good IT company that would ever recommend Norton or McAfee, they're absolutely horrible. I'm very serious when I say that, they cause a lot of problems.

    Kaspersky and Eset are really great with companies that aren't in complete disarray. Eset is expensive though, Kaspersky is much more affordable with lots of nifty tools plus great security.

    If you're looking for free, go AVG and Malwarebytes or even MSE. MSE gets a lot of trash talk but it seriously does do a good job. If you go the free route, install Malwarebytes AND MSE or AVG, Malwarebyes really is a great addition. It comes in a (solid) free version and a paid version.

    Kaspersky often has discounts if you check out sites like techbargains, bensbargains, or even newegg. My suggestion is buy on Cyber Monday which is next Monday, you'll likely see insanely low prices for Kasperksy and Eset.

    Good luck :)
  14. tdbvk said:
    I don't know a single good IT company that would ever recommend Norton or McAfee.

    Good luck :)


    Symantec AV and McAfee were kicked out of the business/corporate world long ago.
  15. Jacko1235 said:
    Hi everyone I'm looking into free security for my pc as my norton 360 license is almost over. Quick double checking do I just need a good firewall and antivirus? If so what do people recommend. Is it enough that I just use microsoft security essentials with windows firewall or can people recommend me a good firewall and a good antivirus. Thanks for the help.


    The most foolish thing you can do is to use free security downloaded from the internet.
    You are just asking for problems...
    The vast majority of computers I fix, that are infected,
    have malware bites, AVG, and Avast installed.
    If you are using "free" security, your computer security IS full of holes. These "free" downloads leave about 80% of your system UN-protected.
    And FYI, more than 80% of these free downloads are FAKE. These are designed to steal your personal information, and that's all.

    What to avoid: ANY download that claims it will "sweep" "clean" "speed up your system" or "fix" problems. Don't fall for it.
  16. alexoiu said:


    Please do not be so foolish as to log into facebook to test your computer security. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID.
    Like P.T.Barnum said: there really IS a sucker born every minute.

    1. If you have been so foolish as to install any of this "free" trash:

    A. Backup all of your personal files to a thumb drive, etc...
    B. Reformat your entire drive, slow complete format.
    C. Re-install the operating system.

    That's the ONLY way to make sure it's GONE.
  17. Who said about loging into Facebok?
    Please do not quote my answer when talking about completely different things.
    Another test:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_per_201210_en.pdf
  18. This questions is very open, your best would be to see the general outcome as each user tends to have different experiences

    I had Norton and pc started acting funny, did the full scan and said my system is clear, un installed and got AVG free and it found +-132 infections and had no further issues (i must say also prob depends where you browse ;-), i have also used spybot search and destroy on occasion in unison with avg. here however avg tends to pick up the tea time as a infection lol

    Then I know ppl that had trouble with avg and use eset, you also get panda but this only works as long as you have an active connection as it connects to a cloud service

    But like i said its user opinion as some ppl will swear against a free download like avg and other again will have no issues, I tend to swear against norton and McAfee myself

    Does not really matter but i work for an ISP and internally we have argued about avg but we all agree on Norton and McAfee are no good

    Hope you find what you are looking for, best of Luck
  19. Quote:
    Symantec AV and McAfee were kicked out of the business/corporate world long ago.


    I've been to quite a few SMB sites that have Symantec End Point for PC and servers, not seen so many McAfee though, but more than just a couple. A lot of SMB/SME use Trend Micro's enterprise stuff.
  20. soundguruman said:
    The most foolish thing you can do is to use free security downloaded from the internet.
    You are just asking for problems...
    The vast majority of computers I fix, that are infected,
    have malware bites, AVG, and Avast installed.
    If you are using "free" security, your computer security IS full of holes. These "free" downloads leave about 80% of your system UN-protected.
    And FYI, more than 80% of these free downloads are FAKE. These are designed to steal your personal information, and that's all.

    What to avoid: ANY download that claims it will "sweep" "clean" "speed up your system" or "fix" problems. Don't fall for it.


    What utter bollox, and I don't suppose you have any citations for those percentages/statistics or are they as I suspect rectally sourced?
  21. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Oh I have seen infected Norton machines, but ONLY when the Norton has expired...

    My company fixes Hundreds of machines a year.....with viruses....

    You don't like my advice, that's fine, but I fix viruses EVERY day... do you ?

    All the best Brett :)


    Still banging on about Norton like yours is the only opinion that matters "cos I fix viruses every day"
  22. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    No financial interest in Norton or any other AV product....

    We just see a LOT of virus infected machines in the shops I own....

    We occasionally see one with MSE >>AND<< Viruses....

    We NEVER see one with an up to date and non expired Norton....

    If this was advice in MY interest, I would say put on one of what we call in the virus fixing business "THE THREE A`s" (AVG, AVIRA, AVAST) ...because we get HUNDREDS of machines in every year with those three free ones AND Viruses....


    All the best Brett :)



    Well from my experience your experience is far from the norm.
    There a number of bloat ware rubbish programs and applications that I remove as par for the course when dealing with PC's that have "issues" Norton is one such program, it has improved in the last year I will admit that but its still not something I would ever advise someone to install and would never install it myself.

    Everyone here has different experiences and preferences, that's why a forum is a great place to try and find a balance of feedback and make an informed opinion based on that feedback.

    What I will say and you can take this how you like, but you seem desperate to get your opinion rated above everyone else for some reason. do you crave attention ? or do you need to seek approval from your peers ?
    Because I know several people on these and other forums that are very and I mean very high up in the echelons of major tech corporations, these people don't feel the need to drop it into every post the way you do.

    Quote:
    (and I fix viruses every day in my shops)
    :pfff:

    Mactronix :)
  23. mactronix said:


    What I will say and you can take this how you like, but you seem desperate to get your opinion rated above everyone else for some reason. do you crave attention ? or do you need to seek approval from your peers ?
    Because I know several people on these and other forums that are very and I mean very high up in the echelons of major tech corporations, these people don't feel the need to drop it into every post the way you do.

    Quote:
    (and I fix viruses every day in my shops)
    :pfff:

    Mactronix :)


    I'm not the only one that's noticed then.
  24. Wish I took a screenshot of the PC the other day in my shop that had Norton that said it was clean and I had to run Malwarebytes and Spybot to get the crap out of the machine causing popups. Of course it would have been photoshopped because Norton is perfect :P
  25. tr2012 said:
    I'm not the only one that's noticed then.


    No, I brought it up once and got a one day ban for my troubles. Borderline narcissism I expect.

    Probably be given a permanent ban now. Meh...
  26. tr2012 said:
    I'm not the only one that's noticed then.



    Hi :)

    This is a Forum...

    We all give our opinions and the OP can take or leave them, whichever he/she wishes....

    You opinion is as valid as mine in most subjects, apart from Viruses....

    I really DO fix viruses every day, its actually my favourite thing to do in my shops, and I MUCH prefer it to paperwork :(

    I LIKE Norton and yes I SELL it in my shops, but its the ONLY AV i sell, I would much prefer financially to sell other AV products as well, but unlike most shops we (me) guarantee ourselves EVERYTHING we sell to our customers personally.

    NO.. "yes sir we will send it back to the manufacturer and maybe you will get a refund in 6 months time " (maybe)

    Whether you buy a hard drive, or a cpu or a motherboard or everything else , WE guarantee it....

    The problems that arise from this is as follows...

    We will NOT sell certain products, that we KNOW are badly manufactured and WILL fail...

    Therefore as an example, we will NOT sell any Maxtor hard drive or Asrock motherboard.....

    We also will NOT sell any other AV product apart from Norton for the same reasons...

    Now the OP does not have to take my advice , (or yours) but the Forum gives him the opportunity to see all views then decide....

    All the best Brett :)
  27. It's not your allegiance to Norton that others take issue with, like I said before it's your self inflicted air of superiority that yours is the only opinion that matters based on you're own experience.

    "You opinion is as valid as mine in most subjects, apart from Viruses.... " good example there.
  28. Quote:
    It's not your allegiance to Norton that others take issue with, like I said before it's your self inflicted air of superiority that yours is the only opinion that matters based on you're own experience.

    "You opinion is as valid as mine in most subjects, apart from Viruses.... " good example there.



    Hi :)

    That`s because in MY opinion (only ) that's true...

    I fix HUNDREDS of viruses per year, until YOU can say the same, I think my opinion on how to remove them and protect MY customers is more valid than yours....

    And quoting some AV testing website (which you seem quite fond of ) is NOT the same as actually removing viruses from machines, those test sites "test for certain things" , I do it in REAL LIFE....

    All the best Brett :)
  29. I don't have to remove viruses everyday to know that taking the results of industry compiled data over the opinions of a shop keeper is the far more sensible option.

    "those test sites "test for certain things" - You've demonstrated several times that you really don't have a clue how these testing institutes operate or their methodologies, care to critique their methods and results so we can all be a little more enlightened.
  30. Quote:
    I don't have to remove viruses everyday to know that taking the results of industry compiled data over the opinions of shop keeper is the far more sensible option.



    Hi :)

    Lollll....I bet you believe everything you read in the newspapers as well :)

    You know as well as I do that anyone can make anyone believe anything with statistics....

    Personally I would prefer to believe a human being.....

    Which is the whole point of Forums....

    You get peoples advice, NOT manufacturers....

    As an example, I know very little about high end audio..... so if I needed to, I would ask here, and take the experts advice, I would not ask a manufacturer...

    All the best Brett :)
  31. A prime example of not knowing anything of what you dismiss, they are not the manufacturers results, they are independent testing institutes that exist exactly to test the claims made by the manufacturers. Get a clue ...
  32. Quote:
    A prime example of not knowing anything of what you dismiss, they are not the manufacturers results, they are independent testing institutes that exist exactly to test the claims made by the manufacturers. Get a clue ...


    Hi :)

    Hehehe ...and you think those sites do things out of the goodness of their hearts... so kind of them ...lol

    All the best Brett :)
  33. Again if you knew anything about them you would know the most respected institutes AV-Comparatives, AV-Test and ICSA Labs are non profit organisations.
  34. Quote:
    Again if you knew anything about them you would know the most respected institutes AV-Comparatives, AV-Test and ICSA Labs are non profit organisations.



    Hi :)

    Yeah right :)

    Non-Profit does not mean they don't make money...

    According to COSTA Coffee they didn't make any profits to pay tax in the UK on 14 BILLION POUNDS....

    All the best Brett :)
  35. Poor analogy - tax avoidance does not equal operating a non-profit organisation where claims of "incentives" could be made, which is obliviously the line you're trying to take.

    Anyway I grow weary of your fanboi arguments, good day to you sir

    Edit:- And just to straighten you up on your analogy it's Starbucks and Cafe Nero doing the tax avoidance, something else you seem a little out of touch with.
  36. Avira,

    It never disappointed me ever,

    when paid, Best, if free, still best (antivirus only)
  37. Norton has worked well for me for 2 years, never has it let a virus by.
  38. Norton is crap avoid it.. it dont stop or pick up virus's use trend-micro thats a lot better..
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Firewalls Antivirus Windows 7