AMD 90NM TPD of 105 watt

4000+?

What's the actual clock speed with that PR? Around 3.2GHz by any chance?

:smile:

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Click 1 and click 2.
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20031215184404.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20031215184404.html</A>
<A HREF="http://webpages.charter.net/tates/MO/amd_90nm_heat.jpg" target="_new">http://webpages.charter.net/tates/MO/amd_90nm_heat.jpg</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

poncho

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Thats true the clock speeds would be similar ....... but the performance of the chips certainly wont be
a 3.2 GHZ athlon 64 would DESTROY a 3.2 ghz p4

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win your still retarded!

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
LOL in your own link it write 4000+ 2.6 GHZ and the same power dissipation happen at 3.6 ghz on a presscott.That still 1GHZ advantage

I dont like french test

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
LOL in your own link it write 4000+ 2.6 GHZ and the same power dissipation happen at 3.6 ghz on a presscott.That still 1GHZ advantage
LOL...all that "1GHZ advantage" means is that Prescott will likely "only" be about 10% behind. :tongue:

As it is, the 105W is only a "maximum power envelope," same as 89W. Current 130nm AMD64 parts actually consume rather less than the max power envelope, and it will likely be the same for 90nm AMD64.

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Yeah, but that 1Ghz exdtra doesnt translate into extra performance.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
As it is, the 105W is only a "maximum power envelope," same as 89W. Current 130nm AMD64 parts actually consume rather less than the max power envelope, and it will likely be the same for 90nm AMD64

WOW any TPD take for grant that the maxiumun power dissipation will be the colling need extra margin is need for stability and it should be even higher for Server/workstation.Prescott got a TPD of 120 watt for socket T most likely too consume less that 100 watt on average.Socket T will to 4.X ghz

LOL...all that "1GHZ advantage" means is that Prescott will likely "only" be about 10% behind.

If i remember well you were saying that willimet will never be faster that thunder bird.After the release of 1.8 GHZ there were faster and now they can be compare clock for clock.Same thing for Nw you were saying that only few mghz will do the job Nw was faster from day and witt bigger and bigger gap as clock speed were rising.I say long before that there was good chane that A64 will not outspace NW i guess i was right too.Now you saying that higher clock speed A64 will faster that presscot.

I dont like french test

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Did you just dispel the megahertz myth? Because I though you said that a TBird mhz = Willamette mhz.

If so your Bye Ass has just officially clouded your vision.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
yeah I read that too... But I think he's getting at the fact that basically the same CORE design (e.g. the NW B) is now roughly equal to the t-bird, mhz for mhz... Not too sure how accurate that is - anyone got a 1.4Ghz NW? :smile:

I could be completely off there, but it's always hard to decrypt what he says :eek: .. (no offence Juin)

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
If i remember well you were saying that willimet will never be faster that thunder bird.
I doubt I ever said that. "Never" is a long time to commit to.

You're welcome to prove me wrong, though. Find the post where I said something like that, and I'll gladly eat crow.

After the release of 1.8 GHZ there were faster and now they can be compare clock for clock
What can be compared clock-for-clock? Not any Athlon against any P4. Certainly not any Athlon64 against a P4. P4 is getting ripped by AMD64.

Same thing for Nw you were saying that only few mghz will do the job Nw was faster from day and witt bigger and bigger gap as clock speed were rising.
Too bad that sort of rapid ramping was unsustainable. Intel left a wide-open gap for AMD64 to step in.

I say long before that there was good chane that A64 will not outspace NW i guess i was right too.
Hmmm...90% of hardware reviewers disagree with you on that.

Now you saying that higher clock speed A64 will faster that presscot.
At the rate each side is advancing, I'd say it's quite likely.

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i>

TRENDING THREADS