Dell 400SC server for $300 on SlickDeals

Man there selling these things cheap! Three hundred bucks after
rebates

see link

http://www.slickdeals.net/#p5171

Could one make a PVR out of one of these cheapo servers? Stick a
Hauppuage card in it?

Or heck could one make a decent workstation out of it?

Can't see why not, although the Dimension 2400 is only $349 when it is on
sale on Small Business. I KNOW it works with the Hauppauge card (either the
PVR250, or my preference, the PVR USB2 -- I have both).

TOm
<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Man there selling these things cheap! Three hundred bucks after
> rebates
>
> see link
>
> http://www.slickdeals.net/#p5171
>
> Could one make a PVR out of one of these cheapo servers? Stick a
> Hauppuage card in it?
>
> Or heck could one make a decent workstation out of it?

>Can't see why not, although the Dimension 2400 is only $349 when it is on
>sale on Small Business. I KNOW it works with the Hauppauge card (either the
>PVR250, or my preference, the PVR USB2 -- I have both).

So you like the external USB2 version of the 250 card
better than the PCI version?

If yes... why?

>Can't see why not, although the Dimension 2400 is only $349 when it is on
>sale on Small Business.

Ok but isn't the 400sc a lot better machine than say a
2400 unit?

But the 400SC has the same systemboard as a Dimension 8300 (for less than
1/2 price), so you can put in a decent video card, which you can't do with
the 2400 (which doesn't have an AGP slot).

Gary

> Can't see why not, although the Dimension 2400 is only $349 when it is on
> sale on Small Business. I KNOW it works with the Hauppauge card (either
> the PVR250, or my preference, the PVR USB2 -- I have both).
>
> TOm
> <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Man there selling these things cheap! Three hundred bucks after
>> rebates
>>
>> see link
>>
>> http://www.slickdeals.net/#p5171
>>
>> Could one make a PVR out of one of these cheapo servers? Stick a
>> Hauppuage card in it?
>>
>> Or heck could one make a decent workstation out of it?

clint

One thing I've found about servers is that they typically wouldn't fall into
the "silent" category. And for something like a PVR, that you may leave
running in your living room for extended periods, I think that would be an
issue. Of course, the servers are typically designed to run 24/7, which
would be good for something like that...

What would make the 400sc a "better" machine to you? Just curious.

Clint

> >Can't see why not, although the Dimension 2400 is only $349 when it is on
> >sale on Small Business.
>
> Ok but isn't the 400sc a lot better machine than say a
> 2400 unit?

That's why I went with the 2400. It's very quiet and since it is my PVR, I
didn't care about AGP.

And as for the previous question, I like the USB2 version because it doesn't
take a PCI slot.

My Dimension 2400 has both a Gigabit card and a second video card, as it
also drives my home theatre projector. It also, between two internal drives
and three external drives, a little over a terabytes of disk.

tom
"Clint" <nobody@nowhere.non> wrote in message
> One thing I've found about servers is that they typically wouldn't fall
> into
> the "silent" category. And for something like a PVR, that you may leave
> running in your living room for extended periods, I think that would be an
> issue. Of course, the servers are typically designed to run 24/7, which
> would be good for something like that...
>
> What would make the 400sc a "better" machine to you? Just curious.
>
> Clint
>
> <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> >Can't see why not, although the Dimension 2400 is only $349 when it is
>> >on
>> >sale on Small Business.
>>
>> Ok but isn't the 400sc a lot better machine than say a
>> 2400 unit?

>One thing I've found about servers is that they typically wouldn't fall into
>the "silent" category.

Go to link below

http://tinyurl.com/kend

read under "case" and you will see the unit is very quiet