Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New monitor < $250

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 6, 2010 10:03:10 PM

Ok so here is my little story. I was running a 19" or so 1280x1024 monitor. It was pretty beat up, with lots of scratches and smudge marks, and and I had tried cleaning it but that didn't really work. Anyway I decided it was time to upgrade to a nice 1920x1080 widescreen thing, and something bigger cause why not.

So I bought a $200 AOC 24". It looked really nice when turned off, and even when it was in the store playing the default image thing. But when I got it home I quickly realized it was not good. It was all washed out, and when I tried to mess with settings (I spent about 2 hours doing this) I found that the bottom and top halves of the monitors were different colors, even when I looked straight on. The monitor changed way too much from different viewing angles to be usable.

I thought that a 160degree vertical viewing angle would be good, and it doesnt seem to be t hat because me sitting about 2.5 feet away see a large difference between the top and bottom, and I have to sit like 10ft away for it to go away.

Anyway so I am returning the monitor, but I still want to buy a replacement. I clearly don't know what I am doing when buying a monitor. I just want something < $250 (preferably < $200) and bigger than 21", but of course bigger is better. I have a vertical space of 17.5" in my area, and a pretty much unlimited horizontal space. 1920x1080 is also required.

If anyone would be kind enough to help me with this, I would be so happy. I am really lost.

More about : monitor 250

a c 195 C Monitor
December 7, 2010 12:00:16 AM

Sounds like you got a defective monitor. If you liked because you saw it in the store, then you could have asked for an exchange.

I have the Asus VK246H which should fit into your budget. Here's a review of the monitor; it think it's the 3rd post...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/58336-3-official-flat...

It is currently selling for $210 + free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There's the Asus VW246H which does not have the built-in webcam for $199 + $9 shipping, but it's out of stock... and in the end is only $2 cheaper to buy than the VK246H which is still in stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 7, 2010 12:21:42 AM

So you would recommend going back and getting a new one of my monitor? It doesnt seem broken, just low quality. I dont think a new one will be any better.

The monitor you have recommended looks nice, but it doesn't really seem to be what i want because in your review you said it has bad viewing angles.

I realized that all the monitors I actually like are dells. What about this?
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?s...

Im just generally worried that im getting ripped off.
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2010 1:17:46 AM

Labmonkey said:
So you would recommend going back and getting a new one of my monitor? It doesnt seem broken, just low quality. I dont think a new one will be any better.

The monitor you have recommended looks nice, but it doesn't really seem to be what i want because in your review you said it has bad viewing angles.

Get the dell U2311H, it goes on sale in canada almost monthly for around $229. Read up on it, it gets great reviews. It has a much better panel than the TN panels you have been looking at. Meaning better viewing angles and better colour accuracy. I assume if you are purchasing in the US, prices should be around that or even better.
m
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
December 7, 2010 2:29:13 AM

If you want a monitor with good viewing angles, then any TN + film monitor is not the right choice.

The cheaptest e-IPS based monitors is the Dell U2311H, U2211H or NEC 232WMi
There are more expensive S-IPS or H-IPS based monitors but they cost much more.

You can also go for a VA panel. The BenQ EW2420 A-MVA panel isn't a bad choice but not as good as the Dell e-IPS monitors.
December 7, 2010 3:27:54 AM

I knew I came to the right place. I don't even know what a TN panel is lol. I'm probably going to get the Dell online, but I am go around to some stores first now that I know a bit more about what I am looking for. Thanks everyone hopefully I report back with good news :D 
m
l
a c 195 C Monitor
December 7, 2010 12:37:34 PM

Labmonkey said:

All TN panel monitors have bad viewing angles compared to other LCD panel technologies like VA and IPS. However, they are also inexpensive. The Asus monitor I recommended has average viewing angles for TN panels monitors and no where as bad as how you described the AOC you bought; which is defective based on what you stated.

With the exception of the Dell U2211h, U2311h and NEC 232WMi (not recommended for gaming), all inexpensive monitors in the range you seems to be looking at are all TN panel monitors. Additionally, 99.9% of monitors sold in brick & mortar stores are TN panel monitors; the exception will probably be the Apple displays that are 24"+. The only store that I know of which sells VA and IPS monitors is B&H Photo in NYC.

The Dell ST2310 and Dell Professional P2411H are both TN panels as well. With the exception of the 3 inexpensive monitors that I mentioned above (and by Rofl_My_Waffle as well) all inexpensive LCD monitors use TN panels. Generally speaking monitors using VA and IPS panels starts at approximately $500.

m
l
December 17, 2010 6:43:05 PM

Best answer selected by Labmonkey.
m
l
!