Windows protection error

September 5, 2005 3:50:06 PM

Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've got
a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:)  and
then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from the
cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a "Windows
protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option to
load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally. It's
a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version of
windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files? And
does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this file,
the computer boots up normally.
September 5, 2005 4:33:24 PM

Coffee Can wrote:

> Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've got
> a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
> reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:)  and
> then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from the
> cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a "Windows
> protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option to
> load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
> when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally. It's
> a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version of
> windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files? And
> does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
> get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this file,
> the computer boots up normally.

This is a windows XP OS newsgroup. Post to one for ME. Here is a list
of all MS newsgroups: http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I looked for an ME newsgroup but the only one I could find was empty.

"Rock" wrote:

> Coffee Can wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've got
> > a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
> > reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:)  and
> > then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from the
> > cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a "Windows
> > protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option to
> > load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
> > when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally. It's
> > a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version of
> > windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files? And
> > does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
> > get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this file,
> > the computer boots up normally.
>
> This is a windows XP OS newsgroup. Post to one for ME. Here is a list
> of all MS newsgroups: http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

September 5, 2005 10:18:43 PM

I believe NDIS.vxd is the NVidia video driver.
Boot to safe mode, change video adapter to generic VGA.
Get the right driver from NVidia and install it.

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Coffee Can" <CoffeeCan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've
> got
> a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
> reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:)  and
> then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from
> the
> cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a
> "Windows
> protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option
> load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
> when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally.
> It's
> a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version
> of
> windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files?
> And
> does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
> get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this
> file,
> the computer boots up normally.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:38:29 AM

Please, use one of the Windows ME newsgroups, this one is intended for Windows XP questions.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

"Coffee Can" <CoffeeCan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95139653-2FD2-43E3-8509-092E9F972AAB@microsoft.com...
> Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've got
> a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
> reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:)  and
> then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from the
> cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a "Windows
> protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option to
> load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
> when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally. It's
> a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version of
> windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files? And
> does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
> get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this file,
> the computer boots up normally.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:38:30 AM

Yah, I didn't even know Windows Protection Errors occurred on NT based
systems. *sarcasm*
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 9:20:32 PM

NDIS.VxD is a network driver providing Windows support for TCP/IP, NetBEUI,
IPX, SPX.
--
This is A SQUARE HOUSE. Please report any un-fairness to the proprietor

!