Windows protection error

Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've got
a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:) and
then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from the
cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a "Windows
protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option to
load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally. It's
a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version of
windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files? And
does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this file,
the computer boots up normally.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows protection error

    Coffee Can wrote:

    > Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've got
    > a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
    > reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:) and
    > then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from the
    > cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a "Windows
    > protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option to
    > load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
    > when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally. It's
    > a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version of
    > windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files? And
    > does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
    > get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this file,
    > the computer boots up normally.

    This is a windows XP OS newsgroup. Post to one for ME. Here is a list
    of all MS newsgroups: http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I looked for an ME newsgroup but the only one I could find was empty.

    "Rock" wrote:

    > Coffee Can wrote:
    >
    > > Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've got
    > > a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
    > > reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:) and
    > > then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from the
    > > cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a "Windows
    > > protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option to
    > > load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
    > > when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally. It's
    > > a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version of
    > > windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files? And
    > > does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
    > > get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this file,
    > > the computer boots up normally.
    >
    > This is a windows XP OS newsgroup. Post to one for ME. Here is a list
    > of all MS newsgroups: http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I believe NDIS.vxd is the NVidia video driver.
    Boot to safe mode, change video adapter to generic VGA.
    Get the right driver from NVidia and install it.

    --
    A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    "Coffee Can" <CoffeeCan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've
    > got
    > a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
    > reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:) and
    > then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from
    > the
    > cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a
    > "Windows
    > protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option
    > load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
    > when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally.
    > It's
    > a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version
    > of
    > windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files?
    > And
    > does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
    > get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this
    > file,
    > the computer boots up normally.

    Please, use one of the Windows ME newsgroups, this one is intended for Windows XP questions.

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "Coffee Can" <CoffeeCan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95139653-2FD2-43E3-8509-092E9F972AAB@microsoft.com...
    > Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've got
    > a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
    > reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:) and
    > then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from the
    > cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a "Windows
    > protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option to
    > load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
    > when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally. It's
    > a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version of
    > windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files? And
    > does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
    > get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this file,
    > the computer boots up normally.

    Yah, I didn't even know Windows Protection Errors occurred on NT based
    systems. *sarcasm*

    NDIS.VxD is a network driver providing Windows support for TCP/IP, NetBEUI,
    IPX, SPX.
    --
    This is A SQUARE HOUSE. Please report any un-fairness to the proprietor

    "NotMe" wrote:

    > I believe NDIS.vxd is the NVidia video driver.
    > Boot to safe mode, change video adapter to generic VGA.
    > Get the right driver from NVidia and install it.
    >
    > --
    > A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    > "Coffee Can" <CoffeeCan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello everyone. I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I've
    > > got
    > > a used computer and I'm trying put Windows ME on it. I started by
    > > reformating the hard drive through dos from the A drive (A: format C:) and
    > > then used the boot disk that came with the program to load the files from
    > > the
    > > cd onto the hard drive. That all worked but when I reboot I get a
    > > "Windows
    > > protection error" message. When I reboot a second time I get the option
    > > load only specific files for example "Load all windows drivers?" yes. And
    > > when I don't load a file named ndis.vxd the computer boots up normally.
    > > It's
    > > a mystery because I'm starting with an empty hard drive and a full version
    > > of
    > > windows ME. Does reformatting the hard drive clean off all the files?
    > > And
    > > does anyone know how to fix this problem? When I load the file ndis.vxd I
    > > get the message "Windows protection error" but when I don't load this
    > > file,
    > > the computer boots up normally.

Hard Drives Windows XP