Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindsplosions

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
This is what I am currently looking at

1_What is your budget?
Around 1000 USD

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? More than 16 inches

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Any

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need? Around 1 hour.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? High

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
(Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Word processing and Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Premiere, Aftereffects, etc.)

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Doesn't matter, have an external.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Any reliable sites.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? Forever hopefully; but obviously not, so for at least 5 years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD is good enough.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No preference but Asuses are pretty.

13_What country do you live in? U.S.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. Refurbished laptops are not an available option for me.

I really wanna stay around graphic cards with around the same graphics power as 260M, 310 is viable.
Additionally, is this laptop worth the extra $200? This

Solution
You're right that the GTX 260M is a slightly more powerful GPU than the GTS 360M. Notebookcheck has the difference pegged at about 6%.
Since the G72 has a 17" 1600 x 900 LCD and the G60 has 16" 1366x768 LCD I'd have to guess that the G60 would 'game' slightly better (less pixels to push) than than the G72. It's probably a close call though.
Since the Core i5-430M has hyperthreading and turbo boost (2.53Ghz) it has a better Notebookcheck CPU benchmark ratings it could be a better choice for future games and longevity.

Just so you're clear; none of the laptops in your price range are going to let you game at highest graphics and image quality settings in most current and future games. A GTX 260M /GTS 360M can't touch the GPU...

Mindsplosions

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

Thanks for the quick response WR2!
In the worse case scenario that I am unable to purchase the Asus G73JH? (I've read the reviews on BestBuy and a couple people are having problems with the graphics card breaking down)
Is my best choice either the Asus G60JX (The 360M) or the Asus G72GX (260M). The 260M looks better on notebookcheck and has a bigger monitor and my friend told me that the duo core is enough because most programs aren't very good with multithreading. However, I'm still uncertain; which would be the reliable for gaming in the next few years? Thanks in advance.

You're right that the GTX 260M is a slightly more powerful GPU than the GTS 360M. Notebookcheck has the difference pegged at about 6%.
Since the G72 has a 17" 1600 x 900 LCD and the G60 has 16" 1366x768 LCD I'd have to guess that the G60 would 'game' slightly better (less pixels to push) than than the G72. It's probably a close call though.
Since the Core i5-430M has hyperthreading and turbo boost (2.53Ghz) it has a better Notebookcheck CPU benchmark ratings it could be a better choice for future games and longevity.

Just so you're clear; none of the laptops in your price range are going to let you game at highest graphics and image quality settings in most current and future games. A GTX 260M /GTS 360M can't touch the GPU power of a desktop GTX 260.
Mobile: (Passmark GPU ratings)
GeForce GTX 260M = 716
GeForce GTS 360M = 858
GeForce GTX 280M = 912
Desktop:
GeForce 9600 GT = 930
GeForce GTX 260 = 1700
GeForce GTX 285 = 2019

Solution

Mindsplosions

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

You're exactly right, I've decided to extend the budget for the BestBuy Asus G73JH! Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.